Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and formost, this is not to ask what is recommended, what someone has done on thier past vehicals or what your uncle Larry thinks you should do :lol:. I am just curious what you have done so far to YOUR 2010+ Camaro, to see a comparison of what the MC members are doing.

First Oil Change: Sticking with Factory Spec Mobil 1, 2000 miles.

Second Oil Change: Got back from driving for 3 weeks all over the U.S. 10,100 miles. (that was 3 weeks after my first oil change)

Third Oil Change: 19,400 miles.

First Transmission Change: Went with Royal Purple, 19,400

First Rear Diff: Went with Royal Purple, 19,400

Checked the PH ballance of my Clutch/Brake fluid, figure I will give it another 5 to 9 K before changing that.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
WOW...that's a lot of miles.:eek:

Did you feel a difference in the trans w/ the RP?

here's mine...
1st oil change...1000 miles / mobil1/napa gold filter.
2nd oil change...2000 miles and I'll change it every spring from here on out.

Changed the diff fluid w/ the 4.10 install...and changed it again once the gears were broken in...at about 700 miles. Stuck w/ the GM diff fluid because that's what richmond recommends.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did feel a difference with the trans & diff, part of the reason I decided to change the fluids now is that I started to hear a slight whine from the trans when going through gears. That sound is gone now and the car shifts smoother for sure. The color of both fluids was still decent, kinda middle of the road, and no major metal shavings so I think this was a good time for me to change them. I really have not beat this car much, I go fast and get throught the gears quick, but no real "smoke so high and thick you can't see the stop light anymore" burnouts. I kinda figured you would have already changed these fluids PF, I think I remember you talking about the oil @ 1k.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I did feel a difference with the trans & diff, part of the reason I decided to change the fluids now is that I started to hear a slight whine from the trans when going through gears. That sound is gone now and the car shifts smoother for sure. The color of both fluids was still decent, kinda middle of the road, and no major metal shavings so I think this was a good time for me to change them. I really have not beat this car much, I go fast and get throught the gears quick, but no real "smoke so high and thick you can't see the stop light anymore" burnouts. I kinda figured you would have already changed these fluids PF, I think I remember you talking about the oil @ 1k.
yeah, I'll probably do RP in the trans...at some point, maybe in the spring when I change the oil. I've heard that it quiets down the trans a bit. No rush...I'm just about ready to hit 3000 miles. :cool: I really need to drive it more.:eek:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I'll probably do RP in the trans...at some point, maybe in the spring when I change the oil. I've heard that it quiets down the trans a bit.
I took a ride up to Payson just to get out of the heat on Saturday right after the fluid changes. Lots of mountians, 7% grades & long straights. I would have to say that it dose quiet the trans for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1st oil change at 1,875 miles using Mobil 1 5W30 and PF 48 filter.

Next oil change will be at around 9,000 miles or at the end of November, which ever comes first. The car will be semi-dormant in the winter, to keep it away from salt.

I have no plans to change the diff or tranny fluid before 50,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
My first Oil Change
Came @ 2000K Miles 8 Quarts 5w30 with a Mobil 1 filter.

My Second Oil change
It came at 5071 miles 8 quarts 15w50 Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter.
( note I had to change the oil after 500 miles on my conversion thats why I did it at 5071. Normally im gonna do it every 5,000 )

I also run a oil filter magnet and magnet drainplug both had very fine particles of shavings when I changed it. 2nd time around Clean as a whistle

When I change the oil I always run 1 quart through the motor with the plugged pulled to remove any lose stuff.... IT WORKS

Transmission Change has not been touched yet.

Rearend change I didafter my Arkansas Trip of playing hard in the higher elevation mountains and it was done at 3619
I put royal purple 75W90 in afterwards the car ran smoother at normal opperating speeds 40 and 70 mph

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also run a oil filter magnet and magnet drainplug both had very fine particles of shavings when I changed it. 2nd time around Clean as a whistle
That sounds like a good addition, I have never paid attention to the trans thet much (besides changing the fluids on a regular basis) in my past vehicals, and the last 3 have been autos. So when I asked about the magnetic filter in this car and was told that a manual did not have one I felt a little dumb, but thats how I learn, by asking. So next time I change the oil I will ask about the mag plug & filter, it can only help. Do they make something similar for the manual trans?

I put royal purple 75W90 in afterwards the car ran smoother at normal opperating speeds 40 and 70 mph
Like I said above to PF, I aggree that the RP made a difference, and for how little you change this fluid, any improvement by a simple fluid brand change is worth the extra $ IMO! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
That sounds like a good addition, I have never paid attention to the trans thet much (besides changing the fluids on a regular basis) in my past vehicals, and the last 3 have been autos. So when I asked about the magnetic filter in this car and was told that a manual did not have one I felt a little dumb, but thats how I learn, by asking. So next time I change the oil I will ask about the mag plug & filter, it can only help. Do they make something similar for the manual trans?

Like I said above to PF, I aggree that the RP made a difference, and for how little you change this fluid, any improvement by a simple fluid brand change is worth the extra $ IMO! :thumbsup:

I got my filter magnet and my drain plug from Jegs and Summitt im sure they have something for your application .

yeah I went with RP just because of all the good things I heard about it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
very good thread. I do have a quick question though, are any of you folks running synthetic oil? I can't recall if GM uses synthetic or dino oil.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Changed oil at 1500, then at 5000. I haven't done any other fluids yet with 12,000 on the clock now. At the next oil change I'll do the trans and diff as well. I like the magnetic drain plug idea, I kinda forgot about that, I'll pick up a set before the next change.
Same here but Im at about 9000

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have figured with syn oil a good run should be about 8k, I plan on changing the diff & trans about every 20k, and the brake/clutch about every 30k. I had bought one of those package deals on oil changes from the dealership when I got the car, 4 oil changes (well it included 2 tire rotations but we really can't use them) that came with Mobil 1, I plan on changing to RP motor oil after the 4th change. I have looked at the oil every time I had it changed and it still looks better than my Tahoe (I use Mobil 1 in that too) dose at roughly the same miles. If I was using standard oil I would not go past 5k, I think that 3k rule of thumb was dreamed up by the oil companies to generate more product consumption.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts