Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a dropin piston kit forged for these motors? I have 6000 miles on my car and want address the crappy pistons they put in these motors.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
good question. ive been concidering a piston change for possible future boost.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
are you having problems with them? are you running boost? I thought the rods were the week link.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
powdered rods are not weaker than those cast pistons they both should be changed for nitrous the reason i am looking for a dropin kit.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
ahhhh. so the pistons arent really crappy. their just crappy for what you intend to do....i get it now.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the pistons are really good and even the rods but for stock when you start putting alot of power or nos on then the fail.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
nos will make just about anything fail......

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
ive had nos before. and do you really want to do this work to it just to get some cheap hp and have to replace the parts you wear down and break every few months? which in the end isnt really cheap HP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with forged parts a nos kit done right will last for a very long time ran 100 shot in a stock 86 mustang for a few years and trust me it was used alot hell id use it for fun around town.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wiseco.. you should have it cleaned up .005 as well and yes I would replace the rods as well whgile your at if your going n2o

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its not the connecting rods that are weak, its the bolts for the LS3 connecting rods that stretch that causes the rod to slap then break. Make sure you buy the bolts with the forged rods or you will still have a failure.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes the rod bolt is the weak link. Callies with ARP 2000 is just about standard these days for a power adder engine..... but I think most forged rods will come with good rod bolts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes the rod bolt is the weak link. Callies with ARP 2000 is just about standard these days for a power adder engine..... but I think most forged rods will come with good rod bolts
Don't you think its ignorant of GM to keep using the same substandard rod bolts year after year when everyone knows you could get 650rwhp from the powdered metal rods with a decent bolt.

I just think for $35,000 its not asking too much for a better rod bolt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts