Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check Engine Light is on, not blinking. SS/V8/M6 Just noticed today at lunch. Book states that since it is not flashing it could be:

1. OBDII problem
2. Emission Control System error
3. I checked fuel cap, twisted only once
4. 91 Octane only. I never put anything but 91, but who knows what you get?

Any shared issues/problems like that from anyone? I made the Service Department appointment, but thought i might try to correct myself.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bama, I have an appointment for next Monday. I'll keep you updated. They say what happened to your converter? Normal fault?

·
Registered
43 Posts
GM gas caps can sometimes be tricky. After you check the cap, it could take up to 2-5 days for the light clear. Happens on my wife vue every once and awhile after she put gas in it. How soon did it come after you last filled up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GM gas caps can sometimes be tricky. After you check the cap, it could take up to 2-5 days for the light clear. Happens on my wife vue every once and awhile after she put gas in it. How soon did it come after you last filled up.
Three days or so. On a half tank of gas, that's why i thought it was strange coming on all of the sudden.

·
Registered
19 Posts
engine light

hi,mine had a p0496 code,was a bad canister purge solenoid.dealer replaced it,but could not reset the code with the tech2 scanner.I took it home and reset it with my $29 code reader. Do yourself a favor and buy a code reader that can reset obd2 codes.Dealers and private shops in my area charge $50 to $90 just to read a code if its not a warranty issue.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm sure there are shops in your area that will do it for free.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since your car is under warranty, its best to just let the dealer figure it out. However, if you are pretty confident its due to the gas cap and don't want to wait a couple days to let it clear on its own, you could try disconnecting the battery for about a minute then reconnect. On some cars, you need to find a fuse to remove instead. This would reset the computer. If it comes back on, it may be something unrelated to the way you put the gas cap back on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I turned my car in this morning. They just called and stated that they performed like five different tests, all passed. They are pinning the check engine light on my gas cap! They stated it would cycle off eventually. That's some bullcrap! Hell, at least I got it documented. I hate driving around with that light on!

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I turned my car in this morning. They just called and stated that they performed like five different tests, all passed. They are pinning the check engine light on my gas cap! They stated it would cycle off eventually. That's some bullcrap! Hell, at least I got it documented. I hate driving around with that light on!

if you disconnect the battery for 30 mins or so, it'll reset.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
But if you disconnect the battery, you will have to reset the window auto indexing feature.

really? and how do you do that?

you could also stop in to an autozone and have them read the code and reset it for you.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Read it in the owners manuel pages 1-14 thru 1-16.

OK...it's not difficult...you shouldn't not disconnect your battery to reset your CEL because of the 20 second procedure to reset your window indexing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not saying not disconnect batt, but if you do, you'll have to reset the window index after reconnecting the batt. Just so you know.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I reset the code last night. Stayed off for now. Thanks for all the tips ya'll!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I reset the code last night. Stayed off for now. Thanks for all the tips ya'll!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
How did you display the code and how did you reset it.
I have the engine light on and disconnected the battery overnight. Light was out but then came back on. My window indexing didn't need to be reset

I am looking through my manuals now and can't find anything about displaying the codes unless you have a proper scanner. I suspect the Camaro is different from other GM models as one site I was on showed a different pin-out on the DLC than what my 2010 Camaro has.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts