Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the air inlet in the front header panel is fake because the hood latch mechanism is located directly behind it.

Has this been confirmed yet?

If so, I think the car would look much better with this removed. Having a fake opening there would be as lame as the LUND stick on hood scoops people use on their trucks :BangHead:

·
Registered
620 Posts
seems you might be right, the position would be about right i think for a latch. but still it could be open to allow cool air in and keep the aggreasaive look IMO

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've seen a couple head on shots of it on the black ones (some were quite close but not that close) and it looks open on the black ones. So maybe this is the pre-production hood revision 1, and the black ones have pre-production hood revision 2.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen a couple head on shots of it on the black ones (some were quite close but not that close) and it looks open on the black ones. So maybe this is the pre-production hood revision 1, and the black ones have pre-production hood revision 2.
I think they look open because they are black :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I suppose I can take it or leave it...but I would want it open if it is to be production. Now, the backup lamps...those I can do without. (hint, hint);)

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
it doesnt matter to me to be honest. I guess its like Mustang did with there GT back in the years of 99 on when they put that little scoop on top " it was looks " I dont think they had a functional scoop until the Mach1.

Time will only tell when Gm tells us ...... Or OctaneZ28 will :rotflmao:

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I'd rather there not be one myself but even though those are closed in the pics of the white one it looks like a separate piece behind it rather than molded closed.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would rather it be opened. They can move the hood release forward if that is the issue. If it is closed, I would SERIOUSLY think about opening it myself or maybe drilling some holes just to be different!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just as long as any hood scoop is functional. Most cars and trucks today have scoops that are for looks. It is difficult to tap into the induction system these days with throttle body and fuel injection. I was fortunate enough to have a 69 with a cowl hood and functioning system (cowl, air cleaner, etc.). The only way to get into the system in my Ram (Hemi) is through the lower grill and over the K & N. Even the trucks (Ram Daytona, Rumble Bee) have a cosmetic scoop.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
In this case, why not have GM do this:

-Keep the scoop
-Duel latchs (with 1.5 foot distance between them) for the hood

This way when the hood release is triggered, the only thing different is that it would require two hands to open; but still function like if there was one dead in the middle. This allows a path for the ram air function.

I doubt that will happen because Im sure GM will be concerned about out one armed Camaro people. Plus, the old arguement of "does it really make that much of a difference in power to justify spending the money just to have it".

If it was to happen im sure it would be at least a little better (difference-wise to a model without it) than the ram-air on WS6s and SS. Those really were a joke even if they were functional. I wouldnt complain if it "was just for looks". I could go either way on this.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the first time the Camaro had fake hood scoop-like thingies.

I would hope that there's a chance of it being open or at least able to make it funcitional, otherwise, there's really no point of it being there. JMO.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
I would rather it be opened. They can move the hood release forward if that is the issue. If it is closed, I would SERIOUSLY think about opening it myself or maybe drilling some holes just to be different!

Holes or two ovals on both sides covered by a plastic mesh would work..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts