Modern Camaro Forums banner

Is A front license plate on the 2010 Camaro a deal breaker for you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering: For how many of you is a front license plate on the camaro a deal breaker. Say if the dealer drilled the holes against your instruction would you still buy the car?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
it's the law here in NY...I really don't want cops to have an excuse to pull me over.

·
Registered
52 Posts
it's the law here. if the car didn't have the dealer plates on yet, i would tell them not to put them on. however if they did after i told them not to, i wouldn't sign anything. in fact, most(if not all) German car companies make you sign something before you buy. it states basically that the car you are buying does not come with a front license plate bracket and the buyer is aware of it. i see Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, Lotuses, etc. everyday. none of those cars have front license plates. my current car doesn't have a front plate either. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Law here in Illinois/Missouri as well however it seems that its not super strictly enforced in my city.

My neighbor a few doors down has a car brand new without front holes or anything and i know if he got pulled over he'd be in trouble >.<. However if your not doing anything wrong then the cop will simply try to put the plate on himself but when it comes down to the holes i dunno what a valid response would be. =P

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Front license plates are typically dealer installed. Dealer's in Arizona don't put them on any of there cars. Chances are, if it's the law in your state, you'll have a bracket in the front of your car. Just like a dealer can't sell you a car without working headlights or tint darker than legal, they probably can't sell you a car without a front plate bracket. You can't exactly call it a "deal breaker" if it required where you live.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
I was just wondering: For how many of you is a front license plate on the camaro a deal breaker. Say if the dealer drilled the holes against your instruction would you still buy the car?
Drilled holes? If you don't specify it before buying it it's on you. Like dealership decals and badging...

Very strange poll...

No, but I would make them remove it and fix the holes.
Make who remove it? Anything like that would be paid for by the owner of the car. No dealership would do anything like that for free.

Every vehicle I've seen the last 10-15 years has a way to mount a plate if the state/new owner wishes to do so. hell, even C3-C5 Corvettes have a place to put one if you want one.

Check this out from Ecklers for the C6 Corvette :D
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=50442&dept_id=1390

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I guess one advantage of not having one (if required by law) is that if you get caught speeding, maybe you'll just get a no front plate ticket and not a speeding ticket (if the kind police officer is in a good mood).

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Perhaps it's an age thing...

It is the law in California. When I was 19, I got pulled over for no front plate on my 69 Camaro. The cop made an illegal u-turn (illegal for you and me) and hit the lights. At that time, I had no stereo and a 200 hp small block. After he ran my tags, he let me go with a warning. 21 years later, I still drive in that same city and now know the cop pretty well. I have never had front plates on ANY of my cars, and I do not plan to start, but I wonder if the age of the driver has any connection (as with many things: I tint my windows, play the stereo loud and leave the stop lights a little too quickly (chirp the tires) and everytime I get pulled over there is never a comment made about the plate or tint.

A meter maid once comented on no front plate, but since they eat their young, I just ignored her.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Drilled holes? If you don't specify it before buying it it's on you. Like dealership decals and badging...

Very strange poll...

Make who remove it? Anything like that would be paid for by the owner of the car. No dealership would do anything like that for free.

Every vehicle I've seen the last 10-15 years has a way to mount a plate if the state/new owner wishes to do so. hell, even C3-C5 Corvettes have a place to put one if you want one.

Check this out from Ecklers for the C6 Corvette :D
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=50442&dept_id=1390
What I mean is if the dealer were to drill holes to mount the license plate holder on the front bumper after you telling them specifically not to do so, would you still buy the car or would you just say deals off and go elsewhere?

·
Registered
98 Posts
A bigger gripe for me is dealer stickers. When I bought my wife's Odyssey, I thought about telling them to get me one without any dealer decals on the rear bumper. I didn't and, of course, it has "Sam Swope Honda" plastered on the liftgate. The thing is, they also put a plastic license plate frame on the rear tag with the dealer's name, as well as plastic license plates on both the front and the rear with the dealer's name. Talk about overkill. Although, I guess it works, because I still have the rear license plate frame on the car! I've been giving them free advertising with it for over two years now. My blood pressure's up thinking about it now. I think I'll take it off when I get home tonight.

At least dealers don't use those horrible metal badges anymore. The dealer where I bought my S-10 (Thoroughbred Chevrolet) just put a cheap plastic license plate in both the front and the rear holders. No stickers, though, and I would have installed the front plate anyway, so no big deal. I'll probably give them my business when I go to get my Camaro in a couple years, but I'll make sure I give them specific instructions to leave any and all of that crap off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What I mean is if the dealer were to drill holes to mount the license plate holder on the front bumper after you telling them specifically not to do so, would you still buy the car or would you just say deals off and go elsewhere?
Since I'm planning to wait a couple years until the initial hysteria has faded, I would probably just be a huge jerk about it, throw a tantrum in the middle of the showroom floor, act like I'm going to walk out, and ultimately use it to chisel a few more hundred dollars off of the sticker price. I have no shame when it comes to getting the best deal I can on a new car.

Other than my 1996 Firebird, I've always ended up putting the front license plate bracket on the car at some point anyway. I guess it's not as big a deal to me as I thought it was when I first read the poll.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
If any dealer actually did that, you could negotiate something.
If you notice it before signing the papers, you can probably walk if it means that much to you. If you see it after you sign the papers, the car is yours :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.