Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124400

Fresh off the Boat: 2008 Pontiac G8 Arriving in the U.S.
Date posted: 01-17-2008

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — With Job 1 officially behind them, the first shipment of 2008 Pontiac G8s is currently floating its way from Australia to the United States. A total of four ships will soon arrive in Northern California's Benicia port, with the first ship expected on January 28. Aboard will be 1,800 new G8 sedans, a 50/50 mix of the 3.6-liter V6 G8 and the 362-horsepower 6.0-liter V8 G8 GT.

The G8 is expected to arrive in Pontiac showrooms by March 1, with West Coast dealers likely to receive their cars first due to the San Francisco Bay Area arrival port. General Motors used the same port for the Australian-built Pontiac GTO that GM imported briefly from 2004-'06. Pontiac says it will have 7,000 G8s on U.S. soil at launch, and expects to reach an annual sales volume of 40,000 cars in a full production year.

Customers won't necessarily have to wait for the G8 of their choice to be configured on the Australian production line, but instead may choose a G8 that is already in transit. Craig Bierley, Pontiac marketing director said, "The dealers and plant are so far apart, orders would take a lot of time. Instead, we've configured cars 11 different ways, and dealers will be able to use a "tagging tool" to choose cars that are already on the boat and reduce the order lead time."

With few available options, the top-of-the-line G8 GT tops out just under $33,000.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought as soon as they get here they would be on the lots. I didn't know they were waiting until march to get a lot of them and then releasing them into the wild.

·
Registered
328 Posts
HHmm... Top of the line G8 tops out at under 33K?

I think that bodes well for camaro's price.
I agree, that looks good for a new Camaro and 33K for 360+HP
that methanks is GOOOOOD :D:D:D
:patriot:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
well i hope the 5th gen is a worthy opponet for the stang and let the best set-up and driver win:D:lol::patriot:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Here's my take, I learned the hard way by owning two Mustangs. I hate the fact that I can put on LTs, cams, and still wont be in the LS1s territory and that's Fords idea of a comparitive model. Let's say that I wont make the same mistake again.

Just to understand how the competition looks at it; I just talked to the Dodge corporate rep at the Challenger lot and I asked this:

Me- The Challenger is built on the modified Lx platform, correct?

Rep- Yes, with add rigidity

Me- and weight?

Rep- yes

Me- So it will weight at least 4000 lbs

Rep- At least

Me- Why when the Camaro and Mustang weight hundreds less

Rep- It wasnt Dodges concern, because its makes the Horsepower number and the average consumer doesnt care. The target are the baby boomer who remember the original. We know it will sell regardless of the weight.

Ok, if that the mentality of Dodge on the Chally, then I think we are ok.:lol:

The Ford's mentality on the Mustang is time proven,........"as long as it somewhat quick and looks the bill to be a stang, then its good".

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
well i hope the 5th gen is a worthy opponet for the stang and let the best set-up and driver win:D:lol::patriot:
UMMM.

The stock G8GT should give a stock GT Mustang a decent run. I can't wait to see what a 5th Gen Camaro will run.

Scanning the mustang forums where a time slip is required for verification. The latest generation S197 Stangs seem to be concentratded in the 14.0 @ 100-101 mph on stock tires. That seems to be right where the G8GT will run.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I'm betting a tad quicker than 14 flat. It's got more hp than an LS1 GTO close to the same weight, and a much better trans im betting high 13 average for a 4 door M3 type car. We'll have to see. Wish I could get the wife to trade her ferd for one cuz the GTO's going nowhere :)

Seriously Ghost the only mustang lately that has been competition of a Camaro has been the top of the line, or special model (SVT Cobra and GT500 and Mach1). If the Camaro gets the LS3 or GM willing an LSA or 8 then even the top tier stang wont hold a chance. We already know a new GT is barely in the same ballpark as a 5-10 year old LS1 Fbody so I'd not worry about a current gen mustang.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts