Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy stupidity Batman :eek:

http://jalopnik.com/5589270/maryland-judge-decrees-pontiac-g8-gt-tail-lights-illegal

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35852&page=5

Looks like the thread was removed from the G8 forum for some reason...

Went to court for my clear tail lights on my car and was found guilty!

The judge actualy told me she didn't care what the manufacturer said, what the federal govt said, what the DOT # stamped onto my taillights said if the officer says my lights aren't legal then they're not legal. I took the G8 sales brochure in along with pics of my car and other G8 GT's and the VIN trace by 3 different dealers saying my lights were factory none of it mattered she found me guilty of failing to display or reflect red light on the rear of the car. Didn't matter the reflecters were in the bumper, didn't matter where the light is has that little red circle, the whole lens isn't red so they're not legal. Also where the back-up and turn signals are should be the reflectors according to the cop so the V6 cars lights aren't legal either.

Judge stupid went on to tell me that maybe I should consider trading in or selling the car since its not legal in MD and that I'm going to continue to get the $60 tickets till I get rid of the car.
So I contacted Pontiac's 1-800 # and I have an apt next friday to have my car looked at by them and see if they can help or at least repay me the $85.50 fine and court costs.

I honestly don't know what else I can do. The cop was ALL smiles afterwards and winked at me! WTF! Now I'm screwed! How do I go to work now? I drive right thru where he works!! So this ass nuget can make up **** randomly for any car he gets a hard on for and nothing can be done to fight it!

This is BS.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
MD cops f-n suck, judges are usually good, but i hate when people powertrip for no reason.. the guy should be able to appeal... this isn't a legal decision, i'm certain that somewhere in MD state laws say that you can have different headlights/tailights as long as they are factory... is Cyrix2k around?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
WTF?? that's crazy. i would be figuring out a way to get back at that cop and judge for sure. that's total BS

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
A few years back me and a buddy where in Ocean City Maryland and he got a ticket because he didn't have the doors on his jeep. So some how I can believe this.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Dealers do not always look at the law before building a car. In Texas it is illeagle for a vehicle to have red lights that can be seen from the front. So the local ford dealership thought it would be cool to put red lights on the top of the cab of the F350 pickups (where the yellow caution lights go.) I don't know if anyone got a ticket but I do know they had to go back to the dealer and have the lights replaced with the amber ones.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
wow! i would be furious if that were me. id tell them to F%#k off and do what i wanted. Maryland sucks. i know some people who have moved out of that horrible state. if they complain about stock lights, God knows what other things they will complain about.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
wow! i would be furious if that were me. id tell them to F%#k off and do what i wanted. Maryland sucks. i know some people who have moved out of that horrible state. if they complain about stock lights, God knows what other things they will complain about.
you can go to jail for attemptive murder just for carrying a handgun in maryland! or is that massachusetts? i dunno but them northerners don't understand the 2nd amendment.

i'll keep my concealed handgun license and stay in TX, thank you!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Too stupid! Many of the newer vehicle (Audi's, Mazda's) have NO read in the taillights! They have clear lenses with clear LEDs that illuminate red!

Dumb, just dumb...

·
Registered
216 Posts
you can go to jail for attemptive murder just for carrying a handgun in maryland! or is that massachusetts? i dunno but them northerners don't understand the 2nd amendment.

I feel the same why with my Indiana permit, but it's that way in the People's Republic of Illinois, errrr i mean Illinois

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
The messages at the bottom of the Jalopnick article state that the owner of this "stock" G8 actually had modified taillights.
Here is a pic of his car

Here is what he did to modify them:
This is the guy's description of what he did to his car:
"I took 2 sets of tail lights completely apart, 1 set I had to destroy the back portion while the 2nd set I had to destroy the lens. I then was able to paint the chrome ring in them black! And they look good! I then left the factory red lens in there and installed the LED lamps behind them giving them a 100% factory appearance. I then masked off and painted some raised portions on the inside of the lens but only where they are black from the factory as some was damaged during disassembly. I then put them back together and masked off the upper most portion of the lens and painted it along with a frame of black around the entire outer edge of the lights. The effect darkens them but without covering the actual parts where any of the lights are."

THAT IS NOT STOCK. The STOCK photo in this article is a lie, and the headline is very misleading.

If the guy modified his tail lights, then he deserved the ticket and doesn't have a leg to stand on. The lights (as factory built) are certified as an assembly; change any part of the light and you void it certifications and approvals.

·
8,984 Posts

Amen!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts