Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted the first part of this before...but back in April of 1979, I took a picture of my then-new-to-me 71 442 at my place of employ, the local Amoco station.

Well, on July 02, 2008, 29 years later, we we on our way home back from visiting my dad. So I figured, what the hell, let me sorta recreate it with an updated look. So here I am now with some downtime in Phoenix, of all places, so I figure I'd upload the pic that's been residing in the camera for the last two weeks.

Next year, hopefully on the 30th year anniversary, I'm going to TRY like heck to take my 22K mile 1987 Olds 442, (as he hasn't seen that one yet and it would fit the theme of an updated "442") and do the pic one more time. Wonder what the gas prices will be then!?!?! Wish my other 71 442 (not the same car though) was ready for the trip, that would be pretty cool. It may be by then, kinda doubt it, but we'll see.

Then:

Now:

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Very cool. I really like seeing those before and after pictures. Not much has changed over the years there.

Amoco turned into BP, right? I'm asking because the Amoco that used to be in the small Indiana town that I grew up in, closed down for a short period of time and opened back up as a BP.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Oh well. If we actually ARE running out of petrol, I'm buying the Camaro anyways. May as well have fun with it before it's gone.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Yep. I remember cheap $.70-$.80 gas in the 1980s and buying a pack Marlboro Reds for $.65. Soda pop cost a quarter out of the machine.

The minimun wage was like $3.35 an hour. I'd work all week for a $150 pay check. I was a teenager with a 81 Camaro and I thought I was rich. :rotflmao:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used to work with my dad in the summers when I was a kid. He managed an Amoco station. It sounds funny now but I remember people stomping around saying "when it hits $1.00 a gallon I'm not driving any more!"

The good ole days.........I can't believe I'm getting old enough to say that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i dont remember .79

but i do remember it being .89 for 89octane .91 for 91octane and .93 for 93octane

i swear race fuel was 4.00 back then... its only 5.50 now, so what gives

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Gas dropped to $3.99 for 87 octane yesterday in town.

We have about 10 stations in town. Many people were complaining about price fixing because gas was 20-30 cents higher than surrounding towns. The mayor told people in a newspaper article to boycott the local stations and buy gas out of town. Gas dropped 30 cents 2 days later at one of the stations.

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Wow! You GO Mr. Mayor. Nice to hear a politician doing something FOR the people for once. (I'm beginning to think I've become jaded against politicians)

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Well, it seems that one corporation that has 2 stations, sets the price in town and has it's managers go around and lobby the other stations to do the same. If they are all about the same price then people won't shop around. I think that the State Attorney General should swoop in on these guys.

I'll try to find the article link. I think it said the difference was 10-20 cents, but it was more like 25-30.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The cheapest I can remember is $.85. I still don't understand why diesel is $4.79 a gallon.
Two fold problem. A. The world ships everything using diesel, no matter how many scooters we drive, carpooling we do, electric hybrid blah blah.. the world turns on diesel. B. Recently stricter regulation have been imposed upon the sulfur content of diesel, making it more expense process.

I won't get into the problem of OPEC being an organized cartel that we have become completely dependant upon...:BangHead:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts