Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How will changing the rear axle ratio on a 2010 Camaro SS affect your 1/4 mile times?

·
8,984 Posts
Depending on the gear, it can move the useable hp to better rpm range for the track.

It typically give you better off the line kick, but too much gear can make the car "use" up all of the power before it gets to the end of the track.

I have always been taught that you want to shift right into forth(or the 1:1 gear) before the end of the track. This is a guide and not an absolute and it all depends on where your hp's powerband falls rpm wise.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Depending on the gear, it can move the useable hp to better rpm range for the track.

It typically give you better off the line kick, but too much gear can make the car "use" up all of the power before it gets to the end of the track.

I have always been taught that you want to shift right into forth(or the 1:1 gear) before the end of the track. This is a guide and not an absolute and it all depends on where your hp's powerband falls rpm wise.
That's a good rule of thumb, I've sat towards the finish line for numerous drag races and typically the consistent bracket racers are shifting into the final gear just prior the 1000' mark. That does vary though, everyone has their own set up.

·
8,984 Posts
Very true, it just depends on the tranny and gear selection. Like I said, just a guide.

Don't want to be shifting into your final at the 1/8. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts