Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, they killed our thread, soooo lets talk third gens!!

I wish i had a 360 so i could play Forza 3, GTA and Iroc!!!!

cant you swap motors in that game???? LS1 GTA!!!

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Yeah you can swap motors. I'm pretty sure you can put in the z06 and zr1 motors in, i'm not sure if you can put the smalller lsx motors in.

I was thinking about the stock thirdgen performance. Honestly, I wish the Iroc was rare as the '93 cobra. Chevy should of put the real 350tpi (straight from the corvette) in it, with a 6 speed too, a rear seat delete and other goodies. (1LE and B4C don't cut it for me)

A third-gen SS should of been the "corvette" 350 tpi backed by a 4 speed auto.

The Z28 should of been the "Camaro" 350 tpi coupled to a 5 speed.

Anyone else think this way?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
If I recall wasn't a 1st gen SS faster off the line than the Z28, but the Z28 still won the qtr mile? That's why I thought the SS should still pack a 350, just not be as racey as the Z28 with it's manual.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
The SS was historically more of the "street car" that most people go for. The Z28 was more of the all-out performance car.

I'm not sure what happened after 1972 that made Chevrolet ditch the SS and only go on with the Z28. The 5th gen is doing the right thing by keeping the SS as the bread and butter performance variant and bring the Z28 out as the all-out furious terror that it deserves to be.

Just try and keep in mind that any Chevy can be a SS, but only the Camaro can be a Z28.

This is just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As I recall Chevy only offered the automatic transmission with the 350 in the third gens. If you wanted a manual, one would have settle for the 305.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK, but the manual transmission Corvette's at the time were using those German ZF transmissions at that time. Is that the transmission the General would have used? Or some built up T-5?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
That's the thing -- they were using the T5 with the 305, but supposedly it would not hold up behind the 350. I am going to assume they did not want to put the ZF behind the 350 in the Camaro simply because of competition with the Corvette.

I sure hope they stop with the whole "can't be better than the Corvette" junk. People who want a Corvette are going to buy a Corvette regardless of what is going on in with the Camaro.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its hard to talk about older cars without taking into consideration their tires and not so correct power numbers.

They should of had an SS third gen.

And I don't mind the 350 tpi so much, but why an auto for all of them. I bet a stock formula with a 350 and a 5 speed, with good tires could of hit a low 14 to high 13. That's why I like engine swaps. Third gens a the lightest. And newer lsx motors are the most efficient and powerfull.

5th gens are great. But to heavy. I mean they are as fast as the late 4th gens but have 100 more hp. 5th gen motor into 3rd gen would be grrrreeeeaaaaatt.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
That's the thing -- they were using the T5 with the 305, but supposedly it would not hold up behind the 350. I am going to assume they did not want to put the ZF behind the 350 in the Camaro simply because of competition with the Corvette.

I sure hope they stop with the whole "can't be better than the Corvette" junk. People who want a Corvette are going to buy a Corvette regardless of what is going on in with the Camaro.
I agree 100%

I really want another third gen now. **** it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also as recall the ZF would not fit in the third gen without modifying the floor pan of the car. I think Chevy thought about a limited edition in 1992, of 350's with ZF transmissions (white cars with black rally stripes).

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Also as recall the ZF would not fit in the third gen without modifying the floor pan of the car. I think Chevy thought about a limited edition in 1992, of 350's with ZF transmissions (white cars with black rally stripes).
You may be correct. Were C4's using the torque tube and rear-mounted transmission? This may explain another part of the ZF not being available with the Camaro.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Chevy put out at least one (with a ZF) in a third gen, the white 1992 with the black rally stripe. I bet that the car may now be in circulation as GM had to liquidate it's museum cars when they went bankrupt. RE: Torque tube (you got me).

·
Registered
4,544 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
5.7L 350 engine with 5-spd manual transmission, 4:11 rear end, tinted windows , chrome wheels, runs strong call mark 412-526-0367

350 swap? That'd be fun as hell.

Funny thing is, that guy has been trying to sell that for a long time. I started my senior year of HS thinking how awesome a graduation present that would be.

At the same time, all this LSX talk has me wondering, Craigslist has LS1s for $9k.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts