Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted your opinions on German cars. I use to never be a big fan but I'm starting to really like VW and Porsche. When I was in HS, VW was very very popular (They were also douches), but never payed much attention to the cars.

For awhile, German cars screamed EGO (To me) but I'm trying to open up my horizons a bit and see what else is out there. I'm not anywhere close to buying a car right now so don't think I'm going to the dark side, just looking. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I have my next car purchase set it stone, for 5 years I've been wanting this ride...and it's a V8! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
been around bmw's and benz my entire life, Love them but hate them as well. Kinda have a limit to certain models and the mod's that can be add'd. Sure you can Mod any car but I have noticed that these german whips have allot of problems with most of their dramatic mod's, or even some small ones. Also kinda love hate the style as well! Like how they look off the bat but over time they look old fast and all need a new look very badly!! But if aint broke don't fix it.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Most German cars are fun to drive, no doubt about it.
But when (not if, but when) they break, you better have a warranty or you'll need another loan to fix it. WOW are they pricey to fix.
In my experience, I've seen a lot of electrical problems in German cars.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
been around bmw's and benz my entire life, Love them but hate them as well. Kinda have a limit to certain models and the mod's that can be add'd. Sure you can Mod any car but I have noticed that these german whips have allot of problems with most of their dramatic mod's, or even some small ones. Also kinda love hate the style as well! Like how they look off the bat but over time they look old fast and all need a new look very badly!! But if aint broke don't fix it.
I agree, with few exceptions I'd say they're almost over-engineered. Most get the best performance you can hope for in a 3-5 litre engine, factory.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Interested enough to actually buy it or no?
I would choose the S5 over the CTSV based on looks alone. It would be difficult for me to choose the S5 over the CTSV on power since it has 200hp less.

The AWD and nomenclature would be nice, but it would be difficult to choose with the power deficit. It sure is a sexy car, though.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Most German cars are fun to drive, no doubt about it.
But when (not if, but when) they break, you better have a warranty or you'll need another loan to fix it. WOW are they pricey to fix.
In my experience, I've seen a lot of electrical problems in German cars.
I agree but also in my past have to say that the caddillac's are the king of electrical problems! my folks are cadi people and they have had every single caddi over 6 different models makes etc... all have electrical problems!:eek: But I had a S-500 and it had horrible electrical problems as well so agree, but say that cadi still holds the lead :lol:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so my next question is, since you guys are saying they are expensive to fix, is that because the parts are expensive or the card is hard to work on?

I can see where a german car might be expensive since it's...german and parts are from germany? Or because the germans designed them differently and they are much different than a camaro or corvette?

I'm confused.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Okay so my next question is, since you guys are saying they are expensive to fix, is that because the parts are expensive or the card is hard to work on?
A bit of both actually.
That said, no car nowadays is real easy to work on.
But parts on imported cars are usually way more expensive than domestic cars.

For example: Transmission rebuild:
(actual quotes I've gotten from the same trans shop)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: $1900
2001 Volkswagen GTI: $3350

Now that's only one example of millions of possibilities, so there could be alot of variance with other cars.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
labor is a *****. everything is built around everything else. no place to get a hand in w/o taking lots of stuff off. so that's going to rack up labor hours

and parts are expensive as well

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you have never driven a BMW or Mercedes you cant really understand the solid tank like feel that they have and no American car can compare to. Dont take that as American bashing because that is all I buy, but it is what it is. Drive even a 3 series and you will understand. Audi doesnt have quite the solid feel that BMW and Merc do but they still feel nice.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was never a Benz fan, but my neighbor was a huge one, he had 2 $100k+ cars and they both looked quite ugly imo. I never drove/rode in them though so I can't compare the feelings.

·
Registered
589 Posts
He must have had the S class. Nicest car I have ever driven. The 7 series is a hell of a car too but the S class to me was so much nicer.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
A friends that work in BMW shops love to say BMW stands for Bring My Wallet. Personally I have no clue on costs for repair but they say their expensive and you better hope you have warranty.

I've never liked anything porsche has ever made the 911 series resembles the vw bug too much which is another car i can't stand. The only 2 late model german cars that I don't cringe when I look at them is mercedes and bmw although I just cant see buying one when there is a CTSV.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I also believe their quality has come along in more recent years -- much like GM quality.

Another nice thing from the luxury brands is the routine maintenance is part of the warranty. You don't pay for oil changes, wipers, brakes, etc.

You can also lease those cars for a fair price and then just turn them back in. This is what most people who drive them do.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

I can see where a german car might be expensive since it's...german and parts are from germany? Or because the germans designed them differently and they are much different than a camaro or corvette?

I'm confused.
The parts cost a little more than comparable GM parts at wholesale prices which you can pay if you know where the look. Dealers typically add close to a 100% markup on replacement parts. That said the labor is VERY pricey at the German auto dealerships -- I think they must send their guys to Germany or something.

An independently owned repair shop that specializes in German autos is your best bet, but it's hard to find someone you can trust to get it right better than a dealer service department.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I HATE VW. I mean HATE. I don't know what it is about me and VW, but it's like I attract all of the broken ones.

My wife's VW Beetle was a lawn ornament for 2 years because anyone could figure out what was wrong with it.

Father in-laws bus has been a lawn ornament for 5 years.

Cousins VW needed new starter AND alternator after 2 years.

Wife's cousin's VW had something wrong with it, no idea what. But after multiple trips to a shop they couldn't fix it. So they sold it.

I never meet anyone with more than 5 years in their VW that hasn't had a problem with it.

with that said...I love Mercedez/BMW.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts