Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about LS3 owners having their oil pumps fail more and more, Im getting a little nervous about heading out for a 3600Km trip this coming Saturday. :eek:

Is there anything I can do to ensure my LS3 doesnt grenade or loose oil pressure during my trip?

Thanks!

Geoff

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Is this something new? I havent heard about this being an issue

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Is this something new? I havent heard about this being an issue
There's a service bulletin for some of the GM V8's...LS3 (and I think L99) are included (not just limited to camaros). Some members from the other site have been posting lots of doom and gloom about it (rightfully so maybe).

For the OP, as far as I know, the only things you can really is keep an eye on your oil pressure and if it drops, turn off your car and call onstar. Keep in mind the big picture...there's only a few bad ones compared to all the ones that are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
There's a service bulletin for some of the GM V8's...LS3 (and I think L99) are included (not just limited to camaros). Some members from the other site have been posting lots of doom and gloom about it (rightfully so maybe).

For the OP, as far as I know, the only things you can really is keep an eye on your oil pressure and if it drops, turn off your car and call onstar. Keep in mind the big picture...there's only a few bad ones compared to all the ones that are perfectly fine.
thanks man... something else just to keep an eye on

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts

Couldnt have said it any better.

just drive it like you always do and keep an eye on all guages.

You should always watch the guages at all times anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's not like you've got a Ford or a Toyota. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I always keep an eye on my guages, like I told my kids, antifreeze & oil are the life of the car, make sure you keep an eye on both.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Couldnt have said it any better.

just drive it like you always do and keep an eye on all guages.

You should always watch the guages at all times anyway.
Shouldn't a warning light come on? I check gauges from time to time, but unless I sense there's a problem I'm not going to be constantly looking at them. There have been some advances in warning lights since the 60s. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shouldn't a warning light come on? I check gauges from time to time, but unless I sense there's a problem I'm not going to be constantly looking at them. There have been some advances in warning lights since the 60s. :D
I think if you lose your oil pump you'll know it pretty quickly just from sound. Unless you've got the radio going, that is. :) I'll wager you'll hear noise from valve train pretty quickly if oil pressure drops to zero.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
I would think if you loose oil pressure that you would feel the engine "misfire" if you have AFM. Lifters "pump up" with oil pressure as long as the AFM tell them to, correct? Then the "ticking" will follow just like in the mornings when you start it off cold, it misfires for a moment or two.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts