Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a friend who works at GM. Her friend offered to give me a voucher if we purchased a GM car. How exactly does this program work? Would it apply to the purchase of a new camaro? Or is it only available on a select few cars?

Is the discount taken off of the negotiated price once the deal is in place? If anyone could provide me information I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
That's something I'd like to know for sure as well. My dad has told me several different things regarding the discount, and I cannot remember everything he has told me in the past.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My wife has a friend who works at GM. Her friend offered to give me a voucher if we purchased a GM car. How exactly does this program work? Would it apply to the purchase of a new camaro? Or is it only available on a select few cars?

Is the discount taken off of the negotiated price once the deal is in place? If anyone could provide me information I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!
I can only speak for Chrysler, but there was no negotiation. There was a book that they showed me with the employee price. My Ram's sticker was 33K and some change. My price was $27,538.

Again, I do not know if every manufacturer does the same thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know how the friends vouchers work at all, but the actual employee discount from GM doesn't involve any negotiation, at least up here in the frozen north (Canada).
Every time my wife and I have looked at a car, they have a set base price for the car we select (varies across models), and then options are added from there, at regular price.
I would imagine the friends discount to be somewhat limited, but as to whether the Camaro will be included, I would say it's anyone's guess.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
GMs Discount Program Sucks its only on Certain Cars not All For a New 5th Gen i highly doubt it Back in the day when It was a Percentage you got off it was Nice But Now Blah......I was aware That u could Give vouchers to friends I know you Can to Familt though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
there are two differant kind of discounts gms and gmsupplier the latter bieng what can be given to friends from gm employees. GMS or gm employ. It applies to all gm vehicles, but it is the dealers discretion if they will except it on certain cars. They do not have to honor it if they don't want to. Gms is a much bigger discount than gm supplier but both good and not negotiable (you go get to use rebates and the discount) both are below cost or invoice to dealer ie no profit for dealer small commision for the sales people ($150 or less). seeing that cars have the smallest mark up of any retail item. So If a dealer is welling to discount the camaro do not expect big discounts wont have that much room to move on it. Maybe a couple of thousand if that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in a pickle...good one at that. I had a '69 Camaro that I had to sell a few years ago due to personal reasons. My wife promised that someday I would have a replacement. Well, that someday has come. Do I buy another '69 or wait for the 5th gen? Right now I'm leaning towards the 5th gen. Any thoughts???

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in a pickle...good one at that. I had a '69 Camaro that I had to sell a few years ago due to personal reasons. My wife promised that someday I would have a replacement. Well, that someday has come. Do I buy another '69 or wait for the 5th gen? Right now I'm leaning towards the 5th gen. Any thoughts???
Sounds like you are sitting good either way!

IMO... Get the 5th Gen and still pick up a '69 if the opportunity arises.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I am in some what the same boat. Except my wife doesnt want me to take the time and money to restore a 1st gen or anyother for that matter. But got the thumbs up for a 5th gen so my choice was easy.
1st gens are getting pretty pricey and needing a lot of work for the price, so i guess it all depends how much time you have to fix it up. You will get instant gratification on the 5th gen

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
It really depends on your personal preference. For the $$ a 5th gen is going to run, you can pick up a REALLY nice 1st gen. Personally, I'm at the point in my life that I want a car to enjoy, not work on most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I'll be tinkering with my 5th gen...but I'll save it for the winter. I want a reliable, comfortable car that I don't have to think twice about putting the wife and kid in and going on a road trip every once in a while...without having to worry about how it's running or whether I'm gonna break something. I've pretty much decided that I'm never going to own another carburetor (unless it's on a lawnmower or snowblower)...so if I did get into another old car, it would have a LSx in it...NO MORE CARBS for me.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
The discounted price is set by GM. There is GM Employee (the best discount) and GM Supplier (Still a good discount).

Chevy has not supplied ANY information on pricing, nor if the 5thGen will have the discount program. Since it will not be in any short supply (Per Chevy), I don't see why they wouldn't offer GME or GMS pricing on it.

If they don't, I know who you could call.......

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Is this discount below invoice?
What vehicles can you NOT purchase with it?

I have a friend that said the same thing about a friends and family discount thing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is this discount below invoice?
What vehicles can you NOT purchase with it?

I have a friend that said the same thing about a friends and family discount thing.
It is right around invoice, slightly lower. The only Chevrolet you cant purchase is the Z06 (at least at my dealership) other dealers will vary though.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Yes other dealers do! :hello:
I believe I was lied to several years ago when I was trying to buy a left over 04 GTO in October of 2004. I was eligible for GM Supplier, but the dealer said that you get the Supplier discount and that's it. You don't qualify for any rebates or anything - you either pay GMS or you get the best price plus incentives.

What's the truth?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I believe I was lied to several years ago when I was trying to buy a left over 04 GTO in October of 2004. I was eligible for GM Supplier, but the dealer said that you get the Supplier discount and that's it. You don't qualify for any rebates or anything - you either pay GMS or you get the best price plus incentives.

What's the truth?
GM always reserves the right to change the programs at any time, however, in my experience with buying with employee discounts, you get ALL incentives/customer rebates in place at the time of purchase contract finalization. PLUS, you pay the GMS or Supplier price, whichever program you qualify for. Best of both worlds. Based on your info, it sounds like the dealer was jerking you around, IMO.

ALWAYS call the GM customer service center or the GM Family First phone numbers and talk to them to find out your exact options to double check to see if what the dealer is telling you is correct. If you know what you can do going in, the dealer can't muck with you too much about it.

When I was looking for a truck, I went to a Chevy dealer first, asked if they took the employee discount, but wouldn't give me the price (I had already checked via GM Family First website so I already knew what it SHOULD be). He said it varies (????). I told him that it shouldn't. So...after trying to explain the GM employee discount program to the salesman and getting deer in the headlight look, I went down the road and bought a GMC without any hassles or BS, just the straight GM employee discount price.

About the Camaro...my feeling is they're going to want to sell them, and they'll offer Supplier and Employee discounts. There probably will be dealers that don't want to play...no problem. Go find one that does. DON'T be the first one in line because you may be subjected to big greedy dealer markups until supply starts to saturate the market. Wait a bit, the marked up prices will drop as the inventory increases.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just a thought...

Why not buy the first gen and lease the 5th gen? I had to sell my 1st gen sometime ago and still kick myself. You could buy a nice clone that is restored and lease the 5th gen. I have no idea what the cost of a lease would be, but it is an option to think about. :D

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
DON'T be the first one in line because you may be subjected to big greedy dealer markups until supply starts to saturate the market. Wait a bit, the marked up prices will drop as the inventory increases.
OR, you could call someone who GUARANTEE'S MSRP or LESS!

:patriot:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
True that, CS....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts