Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been much debate on the slp-zl cars and gm,, as to who is covering the warranty,, i can now verify that gm does not approve of the slp cars and does not recognize them as being covered under gm powertrain warranty, as soon as you bring a slp-zl car into a gm dealer for any powertrain warranty work and gm finds out it is a slp supercharged car they will instantly void all gm powertrain warranty and place a gm warranty block on the vehicle.

seems everyone thinks just because they purchased the vehicle from your gm dealer that you are getting a gm warranty,, not true.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I know there has been much debate on the slp-zl cars and gm,, as to who is covering the warranty,, i can now verify that gm does not approve of the slp cars and does not recognize them as being covered under gm powertrain warranty, as soon as you bring a slp-zl car into a gm dealer for any powertrain warranty work and gm finds out it is a slp supercharged car they will instantly void all gm powertrain warranty and place a gm warranty block on the vehicle.

seems everyone thinks just because they purchased the vehicle from your gm dealer that you are getting a gm warranty,, not true.
I'd like to see that in writing and notarized from GM/Ren Cen itself. You still still get a 3 year 30K mi warranty on the powertrain from SLP so it's not all bad. Though I will laugh if they void a ZL327 which is only a body kit, a CAI, and axle back exhaust.

Suspension and whatnot is optional on those. So if you drive up with a Blackhawk CAI and an SLP Axle back which IIRC is a non voidable offense for GM and they still void it.. ****, my brain hurts now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car came in, called gm, gm said they do not support the slp camaro's and instantly put a powertrain warranty block on the car.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Not surprising. Even the 4th gen SLP content was covered by SLP and that's when they were a Teir 1 supplier. SLP warranted the SLP part of the car.

But in its newest form, SLP modified the drivetrain. So why would it surprise anyone that GM blocks the drivertrain warranty on the car? SLP would be covering it I would think up to their limitations.

Think about it, why should GM pay for something SLP might have done?

Note that it's just the powertrain. If a strut gave out, I'll bet that's covered, if it was still GM parts and not modified.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Note that it's just the powertrain. If a strut gave out, I'll bet that's covered, if it was still GM parts and not modified.
maybe,, just remember powertrain is a lot more than just the engine,trans, rearend. and this is a car you buy right off the dealer floor already modified.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I was simply talking in general about a powertrain warranty may be voided, but something that isn't tied to the powertrain and stock GM should very well retain the 3/36. The difference about these SLP cars now vs. the 4th gens is this time the dealer sends the SLP car out for modifications, NOT GM. So GM is not "contracting" out the modifications, so to speak. Could send it to Joe's muffler shop for all that matters. Mods are mods, doesn't matter who's doing it. If nobody else is covering the warranty, GM understandably won't, and you're taking on that risk when modifying your car.

If you're worried about a warranty, then don't buy a modified car unless GM is doing it. And if you do, make sure whoever modified it stands behind it. If not, take a bite out of the responsibility sandwich and be prepared to shoulder the burden of not having a full factory warranty.

I really don't feel sorry for anyone having an SLP car that's had power adders stuck to it having their powertrain warranty voided. It should be expected. If you want to play, you got to pay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seems to be some misinformation going around - SLP provides a 3/36 on the SLP components and effected parts, the balance of the GM warranty is still there. If a dealer has made a statement in regards to no warranties, please email the info so that I can put the proper people in touch with them. I'll check my mail on Monday as I'm currently at the Cleveland Auto Show where the ZL575 Camaro is in the middle of the Chevrolet exhibit.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Seems to be some misinformation going around - SLP provides a 3/36 on the SLP components and effected parts, the balance of the GM warranty is still there. If a dealer has made a statement in regards to no warranties, please email the info so that I can put the proper people in touch with them. I'll check my mail on Monday as I'm currently at the Cleveland Auto Show where the ZL575 Camaro is in the middle of the Chevrolet exhibit.

-Dave
Oh really now? Hmm, interesting. If you could lay down the line here and let everyone know how this works compared to the last SLP Camaro I'm sure there'd be a giant sigh of relief in the Camaro world.

Seriously that ZL-327 package is catching my eye..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oh really now? Hmm, interesting. If you could lay down the line here and let everyone know how this works compared to the last SLP Camaro I'm sure there'd be a giant sigh of relief in the Camaro world.

Seriously that ZL-327 package is catching my eye..
Shouldn't work anything differently than the last one....also define what you mean by "SLP Camaro". For 96-97, SLP Produced the Camaro SS as a 2 sticker vehicle, or in other words, the vehicle was shipped to their Canadian facility and they did the final conversion there to a SS. In 98-2002, SLP was the Tier 1 supplier to Chevrolet and completed the car as a GM car, but also added any 2 sticker content that the customer ordered at the same time. The SLP warranty covered any of those additional changes on affected parts, the GM warranty covered any of the Tier 1 supplied parts. The parts that SLP adds as part of the 575 package are covered by them in the same manner.......the main difference is that the conversion takes place at Toms River and not near the assembly plant.

·
Registered
167 Posts
car came in, called gm, gm said they do not support the slp camaro's and instantly put a powertrain warranty block on the car.
I wonder who they talked to and said they don't support the SLP Camaro? If they mean strictly the powertrain affected parts, that shouldn't suprise you. However, at all of the various auto shows, the only "tuner" vehicle you'll find along wth the rest of the OE Chevrolet products is the SLP Camaro! There isn't another single aftermarket car company that seems to have the same close relationship with Chevrolet that SLP has. After all, they were the Tier 1 supplier for the last gen SS. How can they not support the car when they allow it to be displayed right there among the rest of their own products?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I wonder who they talked to and said they don't support the SLP Camaro? If they mean strictly the powertrain affected parts, that shouldn't suprise you. However, at all of the various auto shows, the only "tuner" vehicle you'll find along wth the rest of the OE Chevrolet products is the SLP Camaro! There isn't another single aftermarket car company that seems to have the same close relationship with Chevrolet that SLP has. After all, they were the Tier 1 supplier for the last gen SS. How can they not support the car when they allow it to be displayed right there among the rest of their own products?
Said relationship does not exist with this generation Camaro. GM does not ship 5th gen Camaros to SLP, and SLP modifications are no different than any other aftermarket mods as far as GM warranties go.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I don't think anyone here doubts the unprecedented relationship that SLP and GM share. I know I don't. I'm happy to have an SLP converted 4th gen with extra SLP parts on the car on top of the "contracted" conversion parts.

I think the big confusion is about the GM powertrain warranty being voided with the addition of the supercharger. I seriously doubt SLP would cover 3/36 then GM provide the remainder of that warranty in a manner similar to the 4th gens. In this instance EVERY SLP part is covered by SLP warranty and not GM.

Before, like on the 2002 SS for example, I got the Bilstein suspension option. If the hood got gobbed up under warranty, GM covered that. But if the Bilstein strut conked out under warranty or my optional ZR1 wheel chrome prematurely peeled, SLP would have covered that. Interesting to note the SLP parts that were Teir 1 parts also carried a GM part number.

I'm betting no warranty from GM on the powertrain when you bolt on the supercharger. The supercharged version of the Hurst/Challenger does exactly that so I wouldn't expect GM to be different. As soon as the blower is bolted on, the Chrysler drivetrain warranty evaporates. But Hurst backs theirs up with their own warranty too.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Funny, No email from the OP.

All ZL Camaro's ordered from any Chevrolet dealer are drop shipped from GM's Oshawa plant directly to SLP for modification.

-David
OK, I stand corrected. How does one go about making a warranty claim on the GM part of the powertrain? Will GM honor it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
im not trying to start any issues with anyone(gm or slp or anyone else), i never said the slp cars were not a quality build,, stuff happens and this car is down, that is all i know

the main issue i was trying to point out is that this car came in with an issue and a clear gm warranty, after gm found out it was a slp car they placed a powertrain warranty block on it(within hours)

·
Registered
167 Posts
im not trying to start any issues with anyone(gm or slp or anyone else), i never said the slp cars were not a quality build,, stuff happens and this car is down, that is all i know

the main issue i was trying to point out is that this car came in with an issue and a clear gm warranty, after gm found out it was a slp car they placed a powertrain warranty block on it(within hours)
Not to call anybody a liar, but I thought Dave already said that no such block was listed on the car per his records when he checked????? And what do you mean after GM found out it was a SLP car? They knew since they shipped the car to SLP simply from the drop ship code? That's not rocket science, even for a clerk.:confused:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Not to call anybody a liar, but I thought Dave already said that no such block was listed on the car per his records when he checked????? And what do you mean after GM found out it was a SLP car? They knew since they shipped the car to SLP simply from the drop ship code? That's not rocket science, even for a clerk.:confused:
actually gm did not know this was a slp car, till they asked some questions about the car, that is when gm found out is was an slp car with a supercharger, then within hours the car had a gm warranty block on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts