Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was brought up to me that theirs been a recall on the GM Superchargers..
one of our newest members wanted me to post and asked if we could discuss this further in MC..
He's even asked if I would add his Blog.. he has, a bought this.. I don't see why not and have no problem helping out.. as some day I'd like to get my prize BRM 2013 ZL1.
Here's his link to his blog ; Cadillac CTS-V, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Recalled for Supercharger Failures - Torque News

Anyone... please feel free to add your comments "ThX" :5go:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's 2 different issues being discussed on his blog as related when they really aren't. the "rattle" heard on nearly all of these engines is caused by the buffered supercharger coupling Eaton used. In nearly all of these cases, it's just a rattle and most owners will never hear it. I can hear mine rattle with the hood open and standing in front of the car but I don't hear it at all while driving. I've seen a couple of cases where the coupling components have cracked but it seems pretty rare. The dry bearing issue is nasty though. Good to see GM step up and take care of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks a lot. Would love to see how this recall affects the ZL1's popularity. Do you think it still would remain a popular Camaro?

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot. Would love to see how this recall affects the ZL1's popularity. Do you think it still would remain a popular Camaro?
Yes !, the reason, this Camaro will stay popular, regardless of the issue, is because of its name and the components that is built w/it., The ZL1 is not just a SS with a Supercharger.. if that was the case, no one would of bought this model, its not all based on the Supercharger, even tho that's the primary part of a ZL1., Witch IMO is not a problem any longer, because GM has made the extended warranty for it.
Hope that helps w/your question :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's 2 different issues being discussed on his blog as related when they really aren't. the "rattle" heard on nearly all of these engines is caused by the buffered supercharger coupling Eaton used. In nearly all of these cases, it's just a rattle and most owners will never hear it. I can hear mine rattle with the hood open and standing in front of the car but I don't hear it at all while driving. I've seen a couple of cases where the coupling components have cracked but it seems pretty rare. The dry bearing issue is nasty though. Good to see GM step up and take care of it.
Sadly if, I had me ZL1, like my SS.. I always have me stereo cranked up, I'd more than likely not hear me bearing going bad til it was to late :facepalm:
If you hear more a bought these issues, please feel free, to share, I'd luv to hear a bought it :) & :5go:

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
19 Posts
great info thank you. Im not happy to bring it in because of the key fob recall. I hope they let me choose the recall they have done. I have heard the key is recalled as well as the air bag.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
8 Posts
supercharger rattle

I have a 2013 ZL1 with 700 miles on the car. the car has the rattle in the supercharger. the supercharge was replaced today by the dealer.

Steve

·
Registered
775 Posts
100% correct. Nice to see someone has looked into this to see what has actually been happening. I'll add to it as we are contracted to come up with a solution that the solid replacements are resulting in as much as 40% shorter life of the units as all this shock and stress is now transferred directly to the shafts, bearings, and cases now when that solution is implemented.

The difficulty we are having is sourcing a material that can withstand years of immersion in the lube and still have enough give to absorb the shock.

:thumbsup:

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rattle in the supercharger

all is good. there is no noise at all, talking to the tech he said any ANY noise coming from the supercharger needs to be looked at ASAP. There is no noise from the supercharger that is ok. recall # is 13313. so far all is good here.

steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, GM had quite a few complaints from CTS-V owners and that is what drove the "Special Coverage". This is not a recall!!
Truth is ANY LSA will make noise when "lugging" the engine( low RPM with a load ie; parking lot/2nd gear). In most cases not a problem but GM is legally paranoid!
The Coverage has been extended to all LSAs but the issue with the coupler was fixed before any ZL1s were sold.
For those of you that have taken advantage of this, good job, but really not needed.
The problem engines sounded like rattling a box of rocks ALL the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jeff I have seen the "Special Coverage" in many post and I have not got any recall letter from GM or heard of any one getting a recall letter. but my dealer told me and yes he said it there is a recall. see the attachment.

Attachments

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1 Posts
What kinds of issue's or how can you tell the Supercharger has become bad?
I've notice that I can smell coolant..... is that one of the signs?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts