Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM product planners will heed calls to make the Camaro affordable and will offer a comparable lineup to Ford’s Mustang range by starting with a low cost entry-level V6 model. Execs at GM know the reason the Mustang is so successful is because it stayed true to its roots as a very affordable car to a very broad base of people, and now the General hopes to emulate this with its new Camaro.

Speaking with Automotive News, president of GM North America Troy Clarke told reporters that high-performance V8 models such as the Mustang Cobra and Shelby Mustang act as halo models and create a buzz that draws in customers to showrooms but at the end of the day it’s the more affordable V6 models that’s bringing in the profits.

The new Camaro coupe will eventually go on sale in February next year and followed by the convertible model roughly nine months later. Clarke revealed that both cars will get a base V6 engine, likely to be a 3.6L unit with about 281hp. Of course there will likely be limited edition V8 models as well.

“We know that the mission with the Camaro isn’t to create a specialty vehicle with a very narrow appeal that is very much subject to your wallet,” Clarke explained. “The concept of the car will evolve into a really fun-to-drive, stylish vehicle, as opposed to something that just breathes fire and has more cubic inches than the next guy.”

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/gm-will-be-keeping-the-camaro-cheap/

....pretty much a confirmation of what we've been expecting all along. :cool:

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of that article.

1st, I'm stoked that another source says it's likely to get the 281 HP Direct Injection V-6.

2nd, I'm extremely disappointed that it states "limited edition V-8 models." The Z's weren't "limited edition." The closest we've had to "limited edition" is the IROC, and they're everywhere.

Here's to hoping they keep the V-8 under $32K.

·
Registered
620 Posts
**** them, they feed just enough information to keep the intrest up. in regards to the limitied edition i think it reffers to other then factory models i.e. an SLP camaro, much like the stang and the roush bunch. keeping in mind that roush now does GM tunning as well as ford. so we again will have to wait untill the next press release to see what more they are willing to confirm for us.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts

1st, I'm stoked that another source says it's likely to get the 281 HP Direct Injection V-6.

2nd, I'm extremely disappointed that it states "limited edition V-8 models." The Z's weren't "limited edition." The closest we've had to "limited edition" is the IROC, and they're everywhere.

I agree. That still doesnt put a smile on my face. In fact it makes it worse. Reason being: limited edition V-8 models. I dont think of a Mustang GT, past Z28s, or even past SS as limited editions. What the hell.

·
Registered
99 Posts
“We know that the mission with the Camaro isn’t to create a specialty vehicle with a very narrow appeal that is very much subject to your wallet,” Clarke explained. “The concept of the car will evolve into a really fun-to-drive, stylish vehicle, as opposed to something that just breathes fire and has more cubic inches than the next guy.”

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/gm-will-be-keeping-the-camaro-cheap/

....pretty much a confirmation of what we've been expecting all along. :cool:
His last remark sounds like a not so subtle dig at the Challenger, the V6 model of which seems very much like an afterthought. That one will not have a manual available with the V6 (straight to rental?). As I do intend to buy the V6 (fuel costs have always been a issue), that makes the Challenger something of a non-starter for me, despite the fact that I was as impressed with it as with the Camaro, initially. Besides, the reduced weight and improved handling balance are very nice things on the autocross course, which my '85 visited often, and my '09 will find an important part of its life.

Based on recent reviews of GM cars, and my somewhat limited experiences with them, I trust them to bake real driving pleasure into even this most basic Camaro.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah, I gotta agree, I'm a little disturbed by that "Limited V-8" remark too. I think GM better clarify what they meant. Cause if there's only going to be a few 8's then that going to put the price through the roof. It was my understanding that it was going to be like the mustangs with their v-6/ v-8.

·
Registered
620 Posts
again much like the mustang there will be a base v-8 I.E. and SS or a Z28 but then i think there will be tuned models like an SLP model perhaps. SLP was working with GM when they had brought the SS back out in the mid 90's, at the time they were duing the exhuast. I see it as a hint of bigger better models to come and not just the Z28' or SS's.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
I think we all agree if the base/V6 model is much more than a Mustang, the Camaro will be short lived.

I think you're reading too much into it personally :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
My thoughts

I see the meaning as regular V8 models PLUS limited edition V8 models.
those are my thoughts, im with you Octane. :patriot:

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I wish they had made it clearer, but IMO I think there will be regular V8s as well. If not how would it compete with the Mustang.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I like how when people started bashing the pre-production interior, headlights, onstar fin, and etc that GM people were quick to step in, but when the backbone of the camaro (affordable performance from a V8) is being questioned by not just us, but even people on other forums......no solid word. Solid word being reinsurance of the affordable and respectable (at least a L76 or something like it) V8 from a GM source.

Like someone stated, someone should call in SS to clear something up, or at least deny the accuracy article (just like they did to the hybrid idea), or even better.........................just release the engine info and rough pricing for god sake. Im sure that the camaro is so far along in production testing that the chosen powertrains are set in stone.Im doubt any powertrains will be change within the present testing phase and the (jesus christ....*sigh*) the "rumored" engine and pricing announcement in Indy in September. Im sure many people are not in suspense anymore and more or less are annoyed by now.

While the wording or misinformation of these articles recently maybe BS, but GM being so freaking tight lipped is just as bad in my opinion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like how when people started bashing the pre-production interior, headlights, onstar fin, and etc that GM people were quick to step in, but when the backbone of the camaro (affordable performance from a V8) is being questioned by not just us, but even people on other forums......no solid word. Solid word being reinsurance of the affordable and respectable (at least a L76 or something like it) V8 from a GM source.

Like someone stated, someone should call in SS to clear something up, or at least deny the accuracy article (just like they did to the hybrid idea), or even better.........................just release the engine info and rough pricing for god sake. Im sure that the camaro is so far along in production testing that the chosen powertrains are set in stone.Im doubt any powertrains will be change within the present testing phase and the (jesus christ....*sigh*) the "rumored" engine and pricing announcement in Indy in September. Im sure many people are not in suspense anymore and more or less are annoyed by now.

While the wording or misinformation of these articles recently maybe BS, but GM being so freaking tight lipped is just as bad in my opinion.
Thank you! :hello:

Hopefully this is geared to keep up the suspense before the debut but it's getting old. :mad:

I'll buy the Camaro with the v8 even if I have to order it. The only deal breaker is if it gets to close to the Vette price wise.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
So just because the term "limited edition V8s" was used automatically means there's not going to be regular production V8 models?

Bzzt. Guess again. :)

No need to worry, because there will be. :)

And Lu... The 2009 Chevrolet Traverse features a 3.6L V6 with 281hp. ;)
23 hp less than the one in the CTS?

This saddens me.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I wish they had made it clearer, but IMO I think there will be regular V8s as well. If not how would it compete with the Mustang.
While I hope for our previous specualtions to be true. I still have my fears. And seeing how car companies sell on marketing angles (read: half facts, bragging rights, trends, and etc), my biggest fear as of now is this:

-base 3.6 (as mentioned)
No problem here. Just fine for base model.

------------------------------------------------------------------
-DI 3.6 (305hp) as GM's idea of a "comparible" model to the GT.

It may be 305hp but it lacks the torque to go head-to-head with a Mustang GT, not to mention the GT is rumored (and highly likely at this point) to be schedule to get a powertrain, suspension, and appearance upgrade for 2010 MY (2009 MY will prolly be abbreviated). So think this is a bad move in my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
-LS3 as a $37,000 camaro (compariable model to SRT-8)

That not going to fly. Im sorry. As much as I love the LS3, I still look at it as a replacement for the LS2. And considering that a lower volume 2006 GTO was $31,290, I have a hard time reasoning a upper 30s camaro with a LS3. It should be cheaper(or around the same considering inflation or demand) to get a LS3 in the higher volume camaro than it was to get a GTO

---------------------------------------------------------------------

While this a wild speculation, it is a fear I have. I hope SS will step in to stick my face in the mud, as I love to be 100% wrong on this.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
23 hp less than the one in the CTS?

This saddens me.
Traverse is 281hp with single-exhaust or 286hp with dual-exhaust.
I'm sure the CTS version of the DI 3.6 has bigger camshafts and better exhaust routing, that'll make up the difference in power in a snap.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.