Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A four-door version of Holden's El Camino-like Ute pickup is headed for the New York Auto Show in April, according GM's Bob Lutz. There's just one catch — it will be branded as a GMC and feature truck-like styling.

"We will have a ute concept at the NY show, but that is going to be badged GMC," Lutz told Australia's GoAuto. "That is a global design study — and a very interesting study in that it is a GMC tough-looking four-door ute."

Full article:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/gmc-badged-four-door-holden-ute-concept-coming-to-ny-auto-show.html

:thumbsup:

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
Can't wait for pics of this. Though I guess I should be careful about my expectations, since the G8 isn't exactly better-looking than the Commodore...

Ah well - so long as they bring the car, one can always order other body kits, right?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
maybe this is a move to try to get people who never tow with a truck, but want a truck. Hell, I know hundreds of people who never even used a ball hitch on there truck or loaded anything over 500lbs; this would be perfect. But I doubt it will be easy. My guess, it will be like SUVs to CUVs except for trucks.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I think we will see a lot more of these type cars because they are considered trucks even if they are on a car frame SUVs and CUVs will probley all increase in numbers to try to offset the larger trucks CAFE rating.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
The UTEs are on a modified car frame. The Zeta frame is already rather robust, but they made it MORE robust to be able to fill the role of a light truck. That 'car-based' UTE has better hauling numbers than my S-10, which is actually a 'light-truck'.

And these are RWD, unlike most of the crossovers, which are FWDs.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm sorry, that is just not a pretty car... truck.... thing. It just makes me think of the Aztec. Functional but ugly. OR that Subaru thing they had a few years ago. Half car/half truck all weird.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
If it's a 4 door, it's not going to have a full size bed, like in that chop. That's almost limousine length.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Here is a 2 door GMC chop:

The bed would probley be more like this:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
For some reason I think a real door version would have suicide door like on Rx-8s with a Avalanche sized truck bed (to maintain functionality and short wheelbase for a vehicle in this niche). Basically a 4 seater, instead of a 5 seater.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I actually like this idea. If it ever happens, although I won't hold my breath, I'd bet GMC could sell a lot of them. Hopefully it would have the right engine in it to blow the doors off the other trucks on the market!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
well if you ask me it's a modern version of an el camino no matter what badge you place it on

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Exactly brandon.

And jinx, the real 4 door will probably have the setup of the old Crewman, which is 4 full doors, no suicide doors.
Any thing is game. Its new VE vehicle, anything is possible. Its just seems to me that minimizing wheelbase and still have mild utility; a suicide door approach would work. For all we know they may have both, but I doubt it. They prolly will have real 4 doors fro some reason but like mentioned earlier it looks too long. You know just as much as we do on the Ute. No one has crystalball.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
guys who can photoshop..hows this..give it fender like flares and the Arcadia front end..trust me ;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You know that face babies make when they eat strained carrots or pureed prunes? That's the face I make when I see this.

It looks like it got confused on the way out of the factory. Sort of like grabbing your wife's underwear and not realizing it until you're out the door.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well, at least it's not going to be a Pontiac, like it was originally thought to be.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.