Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these wires really make 400% more power over stock?? anyone running them and notice a huge difference??

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Granatelli has been doing this for the past few years. They make these things and claim X amount of hp/tq. Don't waste your money on these things. They cost a few hundred dollars I think.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
We have a bunch of threads debunking the "wirez make powerz" bs.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea I see its a waste now, thanks for the heads up guys!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don't know why they keep doing this. They took quite a bashing years ago on the Mustang forums when they pulled this stunt. The only way they would do any good is on a highly modified engine with boost. And even then you're not likely to see any hp gains...at least nothing noticeable. If anything it may help smooth out the engine idle or something. But they don't last as long as factory coils. I had Accel coils on my Mustang back when I was runing a fully built engine with heads, cams, and 15 lbs of boost. It actually did good. But after about a year or so those coils began operating miserably. My engine would back fire, misfire, hesitate, everything. I had no idea it was the coils at the time. I changed the EGR, IAC, TPS, intake manifold gaskets, 2 sets of spark plugs, tuned and re-tuned it and nothing worked. Finally I put the stock units back in and the car ran perfectly. I tried cleaning the Accels and re-installing them and they still ran horrible. They ended up in my dumpster. Close to $400 gone for nothing. Never again...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know why they keep doing this. They took quite a bashing years ago on the Mustang forums when they pulled this stunt. The only way they would do any good is on a highly modified engine with boost. And even then you're not likely to see any hp gains...at least nothing noticeable. If anything it may help smooth out the engine idle or something. But they don't last as long as factory coils. I had Accel coils on my Mustang back when I was runing a fully built engine with heads, cams, and 15 lbs of boost. It actually did good. But after about a year or so those coils began operating miserably. My engine would back fire, misfire, hesitate, everything. I had no idea it was the coils at the time. I changed the EGR, IAC, TPS, intake manifold gaskets, 2 sets of spark plugs, tuned and re-tuned it and nothing worked. Finally I put the stock units back in and the car ran perfectly. I tried cleaning the Accels and re-installing them and they still ran horrible. They ended up in my dumpster. Close to $400 gone for nothing. Never again...

wow thats horrible it sucks wasting that money

·
Registered
334 Posts
They still take a bashing on mustang forums. This is typical Granetelli for you though. They also have a habit of making near identical parts as other companies, yet charge more for their products...

And btw, the wires do very little to help you. I'd dare say you would have to be forced induction to benefit at all if they did actually do anything. A suitable set of plugs would give you better results than wires...

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Check our Snake Oil thread

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
How could wires make 400% more power. What is the source of all this extra power? That is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. They prey on people's ignorance. Not very nice of them.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea they should pack it up lol

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do these wires really make 400% more power over stock?? anyone running them and notice a huge difference??
I don’t think Granatelli ever said they MAKE 400% more horsepower. It’s more like 400% more power to the plug.

Granatelli has been doing this for the past few years. They make these things and claim X amount of hp/tq. Don't waste your money on these things. They cost a few hundred dollars I think.
The facts remain these wires have 2 patents and a near “0” ohm drop. There have been countless posts and threads on the subject. WE ALL AGREE ON THAT. In every case there has been a dyno test performed to substantiate it.

Simply put it’s the best set of ignition wires – BAR NONE. Even the guys that say “wires can’t make power” agree a ‘0” ohm drop is better than 1000 from the factory.

We have dealers that sponsor this site and many more all selling in the $130 range. True they are not the cheapest wires on the market just the best… They also come with a LIFETIME warranty.

We have a bunch of threads debunking the "wirez make powerz" bs.

There are no threads showing the wires don’t make power because they do. There are threads where people “engineer types” make claims that NO WIRE can make a power increase but they are incorrect. I agree everyone is entitled to an opinion and sure these wires aren’t for everyone. They are just for the people that want a better than stock set of wires that want to make more power. We also offer them with Heat Wrap for headers and Twin Turbo type applications

yea I see its a waste now, thanks for the heads up guys!
It’s not a waste

I don't know why they keep doing this. They took quite a bashing years ago on the Mustang forums when they pulled this stunt. The only way they would do any good is on a highly modified engine with boost. And even then you're not likely to see any hp gains...at least nothing noticeable. If anything it may help smooth out the engine idle or something. But they don't last as long as factory coils. I had Accel coils on my Mustang back when I was running a fully built engine with heads, cams, and 15 lbs of boost. It actually did good. But after about a year or so those coils began operating miserably. My engine would back fire, misfire, hesitate, everything. I had no idea it was the coils at the time. I changed the EGR, IAC, TPS, intake manifold gaskets, 2 sets of spark plugs, tuned and re-tuned it and nothing worked. Finally I put the stock units back in and the car ran perfectly. I tried cleaning the Accels and re-installing them and they still ran horrible. They ended up in my dumpster. Close to $400 gone for nothing. Never again...

Better on Ramp Acceleration
Better Idle
Smoother Idle

Those are all extra benefits as well.

Mr. Chapel is talking about Ford Coils. Granatelli sells 8000 Ford coils a month so roughly 1000 sets. These cover all Ford applications but 80% of those are for 2-valve, 3-valve and 4-valve modular motor applications. Hard to say the coils don’t last as long as the factory when we are the only coil company to offer a lifetime warranty of the coils as well. We could not warranty them FOR LIFE if they were failing on a regular basis - right? Sure every company has statistical failures but for the most part thumbs up all the way.

We have sold over 1000 GM LS series coil sets over the last 3 years and had not a single coil failure. Not 1. Duttweiler race engines uses them on their 2500hp motors and still not 1 failure.

So had Chapel purchased the Granatelli coils for his Ford – they could have been replaced had there been an issue.

They still take a bashing on mustang forums. This is typical Granatelli for you though. They also have a habit of making near identical parts as other companies, yet charge more for their products...

And btw, the wires do very little to help you. I'd dare say you would have to be forced induction to benefit at all if they did actually do anything. A suitable set of plugs would give you better results than wires...
The factory plugs are still the best choice for an NA motor. The plugs are not the weak link. Everyone here agrees the wires should help in a forced induction application but I am telling you they also help in an NA applications as well. Just look at the ZO6 video above.

How could wires make 400% more power. What is the source of all this extra power? That is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. They prey on people's ignorance. Not very nice of them.
MORE POWER (engery) TO THE PLUG – and this comment refers to the coil sets. Stock Ford coils are 18kv and Granatelli offers 65kv coils. On the GM side they factory coil are 24kv and the Granatelli xtreme duty coils are 80kv

Not here to get into a bashing session guys just offering food for thought. It is all too easy to be negative and speculate.

I am always happy to discuss this openly and without an argument if its just a bashfest I will surrender now.

Side note - Our Stingray gets here any day now. First test is all stock - then comes the wires and then comes the coils. I agree aftermarket coils on stock GM cars are not a must. Lets see if DI motors respond to the wires

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
...and so the saga continues....

Mr. Barnum was right.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
...and one of the MAIN REASONS I started that thread.

Do your research, boys and girls.

The Truth shall set you free....and save you from wasting a bunch of money on Snake Oil.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don’t think Granatelli ever said they MAKE 400% more horsepower. It’s more like 400% more power to the plug.

Test - Granatelli Dominates Ignition Wire Test - YouTube

The facts remain these wires have 2 patents and a near “0” ohm drop. There have been countless posts and threads on the subject. WE ALL AGREE ON THAT. In every case there has been a dyno test performed to substantiate it.

Simply put it’s the best set of ignition wires – BAR NONE. Even the guys that say “wires can’t make power” agree a ‘0” ohm drop is better than 1000 from the factory.

We have dealers that sponsor this site and many more all selling in the $130 range. True they are not the cheapest wires on the market just the best… They also come with a LIFETIME warranty.

Best Spark Plug Wires Granatelli 420a - YouTube

Test - Granatelli Motor Sports Ignition Wires on LS7 - YouTube

There are no threads showing the wires don’t make power because they do. There are threads where people “engineer types” make claims that NO WIRE can make a power increase but they are incorrect. I agree everyone is entitled to an opinion and sure these wires aren’t for everyone. They are just for the people that want a better than stock set of wires that want to make more power. We also offer them with Heat Wrap for headers and Twin Turbo type applications

It’s not a waste

2010 Chevy Camaro Test - Granatelli Wires vs Stock Wires - YouTube

Better on Ramp Acceleration
Better Idle
Smoother Idle

Those are all extra benefits as well.

Mr. Chapel is talking about Ford Coils. Granatelli sells 8000 Ford coils a month so roughly 1000 sets. These cover all Ford applications but 80% of those are for 2-valve, 3-valve and 4-valve modular motor applications. Hard to say the coils don’t last as long as the factory when we are the only coil company to offer a lifetime warranty of the coils as well. We could not warranty them FOR LIFE if they were failing on a regular basis - right? Sure every company has statistical failures but for the most part thumbs up all the way.

We have sold over 1000 GM LS series coil sets over the last 3 years and had not a single coil failure. Not 1. Duttweiler race engines uses them on their 2500hp motors and still not 1 failure.

So had Chapel purchased the Granatelli coils for his Ford – they could have been replaced had there been an issue.

The factory plugs are still the best choice for an NA motor. The plugs are not the weak link. Everyone here agrees the wires should help in a forced induction application but I am telling you they also help in an NA applications as well. Just look at the ZO6 video above.

MORE POWER (engery) TO THE PLUG – and this comment refers to the coil sets. Stock Ford coils are 18kv and Granatelli offers 65kv coils. On the GM side they factory coil are 24kv and the Granatelli xtreme duty coils are 80kv

Not here to get into a bashing session guys just offering food for thought. It is all too easy to be negative and speculate.

I am always happy to discuss this openly and without an argument if its just a bashfest I will surrender now.

Side note - Our Stingray gets here any day now. First test is all stock - then comes the wires and then comes the coils. I agree aftermarket coils on stock GM cars are not a must. Lets see if DI motors respond to the wires
How exactly do these wires make more power than a stock set? Even if the OEM sets are dropping off ohm, it isn't like that is enough to make an engine loose power. And lets just say OEM wires do drop ohm, how much ohm is still being provided as opposed to how many ohm the engine needs? These wires are not adding timing, compression, or air to the engine. And the OEM wires provide more than what the engine needs. I'm not seeing what is being done to increase performance.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
...and don't forget about skin effect at high frequencies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts