Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were on our way south on I-37 this afternoon from San Antonio back home to Corpus Christi and we passed a Victory Red Camaro with the new ground effects on it.

The thing that got me about the ground effects kit was that it wasn't painted and my question about it is...does it need/have to be? I know that it doesn't come painted and after seeing it on that car not painted really doesn't do it any justice.

Honestly, I didn't particularly care for the body kit in pictures that I've seen because it looked too importish (is that even a word?) to me. And, after seeing it on a Camaro on the road I think that it was because it was a completely different color than the rest of the body. I guess if it was on a darker colored Camaro it wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb to me.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
402 Posts
My wife and I were on our way south on I-37 this afternoon from San Antonio back home to Corpus Christi and we passed a Victory Red Camaro with the new ground effects on it.

The thing that got me about the ground effects kit was that it wasn't painted and my question about it is...does it need/have to be? I know that it doesn't come painted and after seeing it on that car not painted really doesn't do it any justice.

Honestly, I didn't particularly care for the body kit in pictures that I've seen because it looked too importish (is that even a word?) to me. And, after seeing it on a Camaro on the road I think that it was because it was a completely different color than the rest of the body. I guess if it was on a darker colored Camaro it wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb to me.

Thoughts?
I would have to agree with you. The ground effects package is "different" and it does have that "importish" type styling. If it is installed, I think it looks more intergrated when it is matching the body color of the Camaro. I've seen a few on the net, and it's slowly growing on me. Not my choice at the moment though. I believe that it alters the muscular lines of the car. I think I would prefer this kit on a V6 Camaro, but not the SS. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't exude that "performance-oriented" intent that the car deserves. It's like putting a tuxedo on Iron Man! ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just heard of a service bulletin that states the warranty will be voided if they are painted before or after installation. I'm still painting mine...

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
I just heard of a service bulletin that states the warranty will be voided if they are painted before or after installation. I'm still painting mine...
Can't imagine what that would be.

If it is a valid warranty issue, have the dealership paint them :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the silver ice metallic with the charcoal grey stripes and ground effects to match stripes , have got nothing but compliments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would have to agree with you. The ground effects package is "different" and it does have that "importish" type styling. If it is installed, I think it looks more intergrated when it is matching the body color of the Camaro. I've seen a few on the net, and it's slowly growing on me. Not my choice at the moment though. I believe that it alters the muscular lines of the car. I think I would prefer this kit on a V6 Camaro, but not the SS. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't exude that "performance-oriented" intent that the car deserves. It's like putting a tuxedo on Iron Man! ;)
I'm still having the love/hate relationship with mine. Besides having to be very careful of the pitch on driveways/entrances/exits. And being ultra-conscious of where those concrete parking thingies are. Days when I wish I didn't have the kit on--where I feel like striping would look goofy as hell on it.

I see the "non-muscular" aspects of the kit especially when my co-worker parks his '68 next to it. Really makes me want to put this thing on a diet.

Tuxedo on Iron Man? I love it! I prefer to think that he's got a Transformers' "more-than-meets-the-eye" aura about him. No rice here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am still trying to decide if i should paint mine. They are close to the Cyber Gray color it may not be worth it for me. I did not order the car it was on the lot and I purchased with them already installed. How about some opinions on how it looks.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Painted. I think you'll be happier with the look when the color matches exactly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am still trying to decide if i should paint mine. They are close to the Cyber Gray color it may not be worth it for me. I did not order the car it was on the lot and I purchased with them already installed. How about some opinions on how it looks.
I'm picking up my car tomorrow, it's CGM and I was going to have them paint it but decided not to. They also said it might chip and crack if any rocks kick up. The dealer I am buying the car from has a body shop and they wanted $700 to paint everything.

I think I might wait and see if any aftermarket front lips come out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Paint them, the car looks great but with the effects matching, it will look killer!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can agree that the ground effects/body kit isn't for everyone.

I myself can't decide if I'd want them or not. I like both looks of having them and not having them.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
If I had them on any color, I would paint them. IMO when not painted they look like when you buy the cheapest car of a model that comes with non painted parts like bumpers or side panels. In other words it makes a nice car look cheap.

There was a post about voiding by painting though:
http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15989&highlight=paint+ground+effects+void

This is what I am refering to about base model car without painted bumpers:

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having mine painted and don't care about the warranty. They're nothing but pieces of plastic. I just cant see a warranty on these as a big issue. Now if they fall off while driving, the dealership and I will have a little talk.

BTW, I have an appointment to have them put on Tuesday. Should get the car back on Wednesday after work. I'll post pics when complete.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts