Modern Camaro Forums banner

Hatchback?

• Yeah, that would be a nice use of space.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • No Way! Hatchbacks are for imports.

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • I don't really care one way or the other.

Votes: 10 29.4%

Hatchback?

17K views 95 replies 21 participants last post by  OverAnxious 
#1 · (Edited)
Using DragonEye's photo used in the Fuel Filler thread, I have a different question. Anyone would rather this was a hatchback instead of a fixed glass window, and a small trunk opening?

Like this:

See less See more
#2 ·
WTF?! Ok, so I don't look like an import hater, the base model with a hatch back maybe would be alright. Definately not on the Z28/ZL-1/ SS/ whatever GM calls the top v-8 cause that is my car and if they put a hatch back on it I'd cancel my order or wait for a better year. The base model may do better with one, but I doubt that it would be cost effective since I haven't heard of any GM hatch backs recently that come to mind. 99-02 Saturn sc2??? I can't remember if that model had one. No way would I want one. But good poll question. What do you have to do to start one?? I'd like to see one on engine options if it hasn't been done! I'd try to start one but I'm working 11 hour nights 7 days a week till probably Thanksgiving. Try to make it to the site everyday but I need to sleep too.

#3 ·
There has already been one on engine options. What's wrong with a hatchback? As it is right now the trunk opening is too small to fit anything into it. The 3rd and 4th gens were hatchbacks. It doesn't even change the look of the vehicle until you open the trunk.

#4 ·
Hatchback on a Camaro??? :lol: Have you ever seen in all the years the Camaro was produced a hatchback? "NO" GM would never think to make a mess of this beautiful car by putting a hatchback on. If you want a hatchback go look at the imports. :lol:

#6 ·
How anyone equates a hatchback with an import is a big stretch.
While I'm not a fan of using a hatchback feature on the 5th gen personally, some of the comments are way out there :lol:

I see no difference having one on a V6 or a V8 car, that makes non sense. Also, offering both would drive up costs a good amount.

#8 ·
:barf: :twak: :ricesmiley:
Come on now, I was reamed for suggesting T-Tops on the 5th gen because there were no t-tops on the 1st gen. If memory servers me right, I dont really recall there being a hatchback on the 1st gen either. :D
JJ It doesn't look all that bad. I DO prefer the trunk.

#9 · (Edited)
I think I might have confused some of you. I'm not saying change the shape of the rear end, I'm saying make the whole thing come open, sort of like the corvette does here:

I don't want to change the shape of the car, I just think the "trunk" area would be more accessible as a hatch, than as a tiny trunk lid like the concept has.

If you look at the above picture of the Camaro, the back window looks ripe for coming up with the section of trunk lid, making one large space to be able to put stuff.

#10 ·
Exactly, it wouldn't change the look of the car at all, just the functionality of the trunk. It would still be a "coupe" but the rear window would go up with the trunk. There would be no sportiness difference.

#12 ·
I don't really understand the problem with hatchbacks, It wouldn't change the lines of the car at all, nobody'd even know untill you opened. And besides the mustangs are hatchbacks or at least my 89 was, don't know 'bout the new ones though an it doesn't change their looks.

#14 · (Edited)
WTF? O.K. Seriously, this is so unbelievably retarded.

AJC said:
Hatchback on a Camaro??? Have you ever seen in all the years the Camaro was produced a hatchback? "NO" GM would never think to make a mess of this beautiful car by putting a hatchback on. If you want a hatchback go look at the imports.
3RD AND 4TH GENS ARE BOTH HATCHBACKS! THE VETTES COME IN HATCHBACK! WTF?

#18 ·
WTF? O.K. Seriously, this is so unbelievably retarded.

3RD AND 4TH GENS ARE BOTH HATCHBACKS! THE VETTES COME IN HATCHBACK! WTF?

This poor design is why the Camaro was discontinued. GM has the right idea to bring back the “1969” Camaro look, and the new design is the reason why there was such a great response that will make the new Camaro a great success. :patriot:

#19 ·
Poor design..what is so poor about it? It's great design..otherwise it would have a trunk opening that would be too small to use effectively without risk of damage to the vehicle. I like that design, it's awesome.

#23 ·
I'd like to beable to put my rifles in it to go to the gunrange. Can't fit my 4ft long Mosin-Nagant into that tiny slit of a trunk opening that is on the concept.

#26 · (Edited)
I think a hatchback could make the rear area keep the look it has now and still be able to get in the trunk.

If its not a hatch then the tail light area is going to have to be change because there is no way you would even be able to put much in there the way the concept is now. Well I guess you can put a lot of small stuff but larger stuff would not be able to fit.
Its either going to have to have a hatch or there going to have to have the tail lights lift up with the trunk, one or the other.
IMO hatches make sound systems sound better without letting the rear seats down, but I doubt it will have a hatch.

This is how it is on the concept:

Not much room there

I think if its not a hatch its going to have to be something like this:

#27 ·
I'd prefer the hatch. If they relocate the tailights to the trunk, they'll have to bring them in some.

BTW, GM better not mess with the look of the tailights too much. Those look awesome. Almost like the car is scowling at you. ;)

Seriously though, when Ford changed the Tailights of the Mustang from the concept I was pissed. If it had retained the concepts tail lights, I probably would have bought one.

#30 · (Edited)
I am not talking about space inside the trunk, I am talking about the size of the opening.

IMO a hatchback will not work because of the convertible model. Because the verts trunk will not be big enough. I think it will have to cut through the tail lights or its just going to have a tiny opening and I can hear it now if the opening is too small.

#31 ·
Absolutely the hatchback with rear folding seats. I like to enjoy my music, and with the ability to fold the seats down and a hatchback I can hear my bass alot crisper.

I really don't see a reason not to have the hatchback it wouldnt effect the looks by no means.

#37 ·
Well a hatchback could be a way to maximize to use of the trunk, but i like to see them work with regular trunk. By looking at the pic of the convertible, it appears that they could use 5 more inches of space forward of the trunk lid. My mustang is a vert and the lid comes up to the top seal molding, and that desighn could increase open by 5 inches. Also they could have the center section between the taillights (the bowtie area) come up with the lid (like on modern mustangs. That would make it easier to fit large items in, without changing the design (to the eye, the trunk seam would appear below the center section instead of above.

Things a dont like a about a hatch:
-larger area for a seal to leak
-opening in the rain is teh suck
-the struts give out sooner (at least on my friends cars)
-a little more weigh (the reason why fox body mustang guys love the LX notchback over the GT hatchback)

#38 · (Edited)
Looks like the back of the opening could be widened a tad as well to get a little more opening..and looks like they could take the opening back a few inches as well if they want to. Who knows what is going to happen.

A "fox" is the newest mustang I wouldn't mind having. There's a nice looking blue one with white racing stripes for sale not too far away from here. It has 5 spoke chrome wheels (not huge..around stock size I'd guess) that really make it look niiice.

This is a lot coming from me, I normally loathe all things Ford. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.