Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to order long tube headers with cats soon, been waiting for months now, Question is what size and who's got good quality and fit for the least amount of money? I also need pipes back to my Borla free flows at the axle.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Go 1 7/8s and get yourself some Kooks, American Racing, or Dynatechs. All are pretty much equal quality. I would go for what I can get the best deal on.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
As prime said above those are all AWSOME Brands. Most would say go with a 1 7/8 as these LS3 engines thrive off of room to breath. If you plan to mod your car with some internal mods for sure go with 1 7/8 if you dont plan on doing heavy mods it really doesnt matter.

I have driven cars with 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 and from my butt dyno I couldnt tell a difference. Unless you are going Forced induction or adding a Cam something that really needs the extra breathing room it really doesnt matter that much to be honest.

Some people have gone with 1 3/4 due to finding a better $$$$$ deal on 1 3/4 then I would say go with 3/4 other wise go with 1 7/8 for down the road purposed.

I went with 1 7/8 American Racing Headers and love them to pieces.

another good brand header is Stainless works :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
not to deter from site sponsors, but your going to find the best deal with Kooks from marylandspeed.com... be sure to call them so you can get their "special" discounted price! but they do not have an x-pipe that goes all the way to your axle-back exhaust.

i have 1-7/8" American Racing, catted, with x-pipe and i'm very satisfied with the performance gain and sound! this is probably the most complete kit for you since you already have an axle-back. don't freak out about the price compared to others, they include an x-pipe which no other header kit does. pricing for these is strict, so it will be the same almost everywhere. research it a bit and find someone to give you free shipping. i ordered mine from lmperformance.com for $100 off and free shipping.

just be sure to do a lot of research before buying them! there are a couple headers made for our cars that are not stainless steel, and/or made in china. although they might be cheap, or knock offs of a quality brand, you never know how long they will last!

for anything made from stainless steel, your not going to get a better quality product than an American made one ;)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
American racing longtubes 1 7/8s with hi flow cats and 3 inch X pipe Im loving it !!!!! plus its 100% American made !!! Ill be doing sound clips and a review soon !!! early next week.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wish i went with 1 7/8. i have 1 3/4 slp. Their nice looking headers and cheaper then Kooks or ARH. In the future I want to put in ARH 2", what do u guys think?

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I wish i went with 1 7/8. i have 1 3/4 slp. Their nice looking headers and cheaper then Kooks or ARH. In the future I want to put in ARH 2", what do u guys think?
on a stock engine, the difference between the 1-3/4" and 2" is about 5-6 rwhp with a proper tune.

the only time the 1-3/4" will be choking the engine back a lot more is when you get into really high horsepower, above 550 rwhp

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Kooks 1 7/8 w/hi-flow cats. I used the stock H pipe. X pipes aren't going to make much difference in performance. It will make a big difference on the $ you spend. With the headers, ported intake, CAI and dyno tune I put down 414/rwhp. Since I added the Edelbrock E-Force S/C it is now 546/rwhp.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Definately go with 1 7/8 " headers. My friend went with 1 3/4 ARH and I went with 1 7/8 OBX headers and on the same dyno I put down 10 more RWHP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know! after I pulled those big heavy cans for mufflers off and replaced them with Borla's, I read the artical from pedders not to pull them off as they are part of the aero design which makes since to me, so, is there a under body filler for the cavity?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just ordered my Kooks 1700 degree Jet Hot coated 1 7/8" headers!
Can't wait to get them, I am psyched!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
The heads on the LS3/L99 breath great 1 7/8th inch tubes cause once the mod bug hits, you'll go cam. the 231/237 cam works great with those heads

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the Ceramic Coated JBA 1 7/8" headers with the complete 3" competition exhaust and it sounds amazing. Picked up 58rwhp with a tune and exhaust.

The cost of my complete system was right up my alley.

DW

·
Registered
358 Posts
Definately go with 1 7/8 " headers. My friend went with 1 3/4 ARH and I went with 1 7/8 OBX headers and on the same dyno I put down 10 more RWHP.
Hey Cowboy, I am looking at OBX headers with Borla CAT backs. What are my options with the CATs? It looks like they get deleted.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I did the JBA 1 7/8" and they fit perfect and the price was GREAT.

DW
I tuned a 2010 L99 yesterday with the JBA 1 7/8 headers and exhaust. The car sounded very nice.

The heads on these cars breath amazingly.

Im a Kooks, American racing, LGs fan. Id get anyone of those three that you can get at the best price

1 - 20 of 32 Posts