Cartek custom grind camshaft
Cartek ported 90MM throttle body
Cartek ported 102MM FAST intake
Cartek custom tuning
Vararam CAI
Under-drive pulley
Monster clutch
Cartek 4.10
How exactly does that equal "just heads and cam"?

That's more than "just heads and cam", but I digress. Nice car and a monster at 515whp/471wtq all motor. My plan is to go all motor as well, but I'm hoping for over 500wtq with 500+whp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That's more than "just heads and cam", but I digress. Nice car and a monster at 515whp/471wtq all motor. My plan is to go all motor as well, but I'm hoping for over 500wtq with 500+whp.
true.. its a bit more then heads and cam... i should have said heads and cam with bolt ons... i didnt really have my coffee yet :lol: but thanks for the props!!!

Good luck on your build.. let us know if you would like a package from us.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Nice! There sure is a lot of room in these engines!

·
Registered
193 Posts

Most people do bolt ons before doing heads and cam so when you say heads and cam then it is automaitically assumed the bolt ons are in place as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just d***! Amazing potential for these cars. I'm not prepared to terminate the power train warranty on my daily driven SS, but now I'm thinkin' five years can't come soon enough. :)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
That's good to know. I like to see how the stock equipment holds up. My '78 has a stock T-10 and 10-bolt, with an aftermarket clutch and driveshaft behind a 468BB. Never had an issue with the 10-bolt, but the rear in my '99 TA was a piece of junk.
Thanks for the response :thumbsup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree that heads/cam automatically imply the usual bolt-ons. For me the more relevant question is what does the car weigh? I'm guessing 500hp/tq isn't enough to run 10s in a two ton car so I'm assuming some significant weight reductions are in place.

Excellent NA results regardless.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that heads/cam automatically imply the usual bolt-ons. For me the more relevant question is what does the car weigh? I'm guessing 500hp/tq isn't enough to run 10s in a two ton car so I'm assuming some significant weight reductions are in place.

Excellent NA results regardless.
Maybe this will clarify exactly how we run;

It was weighed at Etown, 3813#with a heavier driver but we couldn't get any runs that day.

here is a calculated break down.

+3,860# Curb weight
+185# driver, helmit, etc.
+15# for heavier clutch, 1 piece drive shaft and 1000hp axles
-76# to reflect 1/3 tank of gas instead of full tank
-48# for pass side seat
-25# for driver side seat swap to Corbeau race seat and adj. track
-28# for rear seat
-20# for rear to back mufflers
-100# for wheels and tires
-----------
total 3,763# race weight? with 1/3 tank.

This is the way many here will run at the track.

Thanks for the props

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't agree that bolt-ons are assumed. A lot of people here would think that "heads and cam = heads and cam". I understand that bolt-ons are normal as they are the cheapest horsepower and therefore are usually done long before going inside the engine, but I just wanted to clarify to anyone that might watch the video that there are bolt-ons there too. I wanted people to understand that you can't drop in to your local shop with $2500 and ask for heads and a cam and get a 10 second car back.

I don't want to lessen what John and his guys have accomplished. They have put together a great car, and that 10.83 shows it.

Also, does 4.10 gears fall into "the usual bolt-ons?" I would bet that the gears is a big factor in getting that 3763# beast into the 10's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't agree that bolt-ons are assumed. A lot of people here would think that "heads and cam = heads and cam". I understand that bolt-ons are normal as they are the cheapest horsepower and therefore are usually done long before going inside the engine, but I just wanted to clarify to anyone that might watch the video that there are bolt-ons there too. I wanted people to understand that you can't drop in to your local shop with $2500 and ask for heads and a cam and get a 10 second car back.

I don't want to lessen what John and his guys have accomplished. They have put together a great car, and that 10.83 shows it.

Also, does 4.10 gears fall into "the usual bolt-ons?" I would bet that the gears is a big factor in getting that 3763# beast into the 10's.

Yes 4.10's helped but, before the 10 sec pass we had the stock gears and we went 11.0, so take it for what you will.

Much appreciate the props!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wanted people to understand that you can't drop in to your local shop with $2500 and ask for heads and a cam and get a 10 second car back.
I suppose those who think that are probably are some of the same ones who think all those Facebook knuckleheads were going to share their $640 million fake tickets with them too. One born every minute I suppose.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts