Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed a smell of antifreeze in my 2010 2SS with the a/c on. Not strong, a whiff. As it got colder in NJ, i turned on the heat last week, and the windshield fogged - stronger smell. It had to be the heater core.

I brought it to the dealer yesterday, and my suspicion was officially confirmed. I know this is a BIG job, and the dealer has already warned of the risk of breaking the windshield during extraction before they remove the dash. Estimate is a week if they don't break the windshield - another week if they have to get a new windshield from the factory.

This does not seem to be a common problem, and the dealer said it is the first they have seen on a Camaro. That's both good and bad - they obviously have no experience making the repair.

I'm concerned. I'm considering trading it in on a new 2SS 1LE so that any problems from the repair after the warranty ends are not mine. Any suggestions or others experiencing this problem? I know I've gotten letters from the dealer recently seeking a trade-in on my car - are 2010's getting a good price on trade-ins? (30k miles).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are just the usual fishing letters.
This I know; my brother-in-law also gets them on his 2011 2SS RS. The dealers need turnover. Heater core replacement is a very intrusive procedure; kinda like old fashioned rib-spreading heart surgery. And i'ts being performed by "surgeons" who've never done one before. I'm leery of problems down the road and wondering if it makes sense to take a loss now and save headaches later, especially if I can trade up to a 1LE.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I noticed a smell of antifreeze in my 2010 2SS with the a/c on. Not strong, a whiff. As it got colder in NJ, i turned on the heat last week, and the windshield fogged - stronger smell. It had to be the heater core.

I brought it to the dealer yesterday, and my suspicion was officially confirmed. I know this is a BIG job, and the dealer has already warned of the risk of breaking the windshield during extraction before they remove the dash. Estimate is a week if they don't break the windshield - another week if they have to get a new windshield from the factory.

This does not seem to be a common problem, and the dealer said it is the first they have seen on a Camaro. That's both good and bad - they obviously have no experience making the repair.

I'm concerned. I'm considering trading it in on a new 2SS 1LE so that any problems from the repair after the warranty ends are not mine. Any suggestions or others experiencing this problem? I know I've gotten letters from the dealer recently seeking a trade-in on my car - are 2010's getting a good price on trade-ins? (30k miles).
How can they justify breaking the windshield? How can they justify needing an entire week to replace a windshield if they break it? I don't know about those guys man...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This I know; my brother-in-law also gets them on his 2011 2SS RS. The dealers need turnover. Heater core replacement is a very intrusive procedure; kinda like old fashioned rib-spreading heart surgery. And i'ts being performed by "surgeons" who've never done one before. I'm leery of problems down the road and wondering if it makes sense to take a loss now and save headaches later, especially if I can trade up to a 1LE.
Yep, those are just dealers trying to get people to trade. Before I had the work done I would check and see about trading it and if your gonna take a huge hit then I would get it fixed and if not, Trade it!:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts