Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what I should expect on how long HID headlights last?

I am starting to slowly collecting used parts I feel will wear and/or be be damaged during the lifetime of the car. I figure it will be cheaper in the long run if I collect them now instead of waiting until they go bad. In several years these parts may be unavailable from the dealer.

So far, I have the floor mats and arm rests. I am concentrating on mostly wear items. I might even look for some Brembo brake pads as I hear they are very expensive.

·
Registered
142 Posts
HID's are pretty common across many manufacturers. The bulbs last considerably longer than normal bulbs (3000 hours or so - around 90,000 est. miles). I would expect that with their constant proliferation throughout the auto industry, that replacement lamps (and ballasts) should be around for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
well
as always in life
things are a bit more complicated

as long as you switch them on and have them on over a longer period of time, they may reach the above given lifetime

but if your car is equipped with headlights, that turn automaticly on and off (if you pass under a bridge etc.), and you come across such events more often, this is said to shorten the lifetime dramatically!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, maybe I should stop giving other Camaro drivers a "hello" flash when I see them on the road. I wondered if there was a stress of sorts on start up of the HID system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts