Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have slp high flow cats and I'm wondering if i take off the cats will i lose any power and will the car be louder?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
You won't lose any power...and yes it will be loader, but will give you a CEL unless you tune them out. Also depending on your local laws you may run into inspection problems.

·
Registered
589 Posts
With high flo cats and muffler deletes your car wont be crazy loud. I run muffler deletes and replaced my l99 resonator with an xpipe and its starting to get loud.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
really no point in just taking your mufflers off at the track...probably not really worth the effort. If you're just looking for loud, look into exhaust cutouts...best of both worlds.

do you have headers??? or just the SLP cats?

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Everyone swears highflow cats flow just as free/good as having No Cats.

Everyone calls no cats crazy loud it all depends on the muffler setup you are running.

And just as powerfreak said there is really nothing to gain in taking your mufflers off at the track if you are going for that add some exhaust cutouts. QTP has some nice electric ones where you can open them up and close them ready for street use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ted from Jannetty racing did a test on no cats vs. high flow cats and the results were that running high flow cats won't cost you any extra horsepower. Running no cats also gets a little stinky at stoplights. High flows also deepen the exhaust tone a little compared to no cats.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Too loud sounds stupid without a cam imho.

·
8,984 Posts
Everyone swears highflow cats flow just as free/good as having No Cats.

Everyone calls no cats crazy loud it all depends on the muffler setup you are running.

And just as powerfreak said there is really nothing to gain in taking your mufflers off at the track if you are going for that add some exhaust cutouts. QTP has some nice electric ones where you can open them up and close them ready for street use.
I 100% agree on the High Flow cats making just as much as no cats. Cats typically do not muffle the engine at all.

I would race my car at the track as I run it on the street, except for maybe slicks, once in awhile, so Again agree on the mufflers.

I would leave it as-is...if you want loud go with cut-outs.
Amen brother.

Ted from Jannetty racing did a test on no cats vs. high flow cats and the results were that running high flow cats won't cost you any extra horsepower. Running no cats also gets a little stinky at stoplights. High flows also deepen the exhaust tone a little compared to no cats.
It has been done 100 times with similar results; good to hear someone probed the same on one of these cars.

Too loud sounds stupid without a cam imho.
I guess you have never heard a pre-cat car with open exhaust, i.e a Muscle Car.

Cats are a fairly new invention, only about 36 years old for cars.

BTW, all cars have cams, well at least one, so yeah it sounds stupid because it is not running.

Our 74 Vette has no cats from the factory and sounds FN AWESOME with factory mufflers.

We rebuilt the motor and it sounds even better.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I guess you have never heard a pre-cat car with open exhaust, i.e a Muscle Car.

Cats are a fairly new invention, only about 36 years old for cars.

BTW, all cars have cams, well at least one, so yeah it sounds stupid because it is not running.

Our 74 Vette has no cats from the factory and sounds FN AWESOME with factory mufflers.

You're right, Im clueless about cars. I was never a mechanic and havent been into fbodies for 15 years and now own my 4th camaro. LOL. Dont preach to people when you dont know who you're preaching too.

Cutouts on stock lsx motors sound like ****. Fact. Except maybe a ls9 or ls7, havent really heard them. But cutout on stock car is rice.

·
8,984 Posts
You're right, Im clueless about cars. I was never a mechanic and havent been into fbodies for 15 years and now own my 4th camaro. LOL. Dont preach to people when you dont know who you're preaching too.

Cutouts on stock lsx motors sound like ****. Fact. Except maybe a ls9 or ls7, havent really heard them. But cutout on stock car is rice.
Ohhhhh RELAX.

I never said anything of the sort. It is a matter of opinion; that's all. I know all about you and your opinions. :lol:

LSX cars with cutouts sound awesome and so do cars that never had cats on them!

Seriously, RELAX, you are going to kill yourself before your 16th birthday. :lol::lol::lol: I am JUST kidding.

·
8,984 Posts
and take the engine out and turn it around backwards too......more aerodynamic that way...

·
Registered
589 Posts
First...

54inches said:
I guess you have never heard a pre-cat car with open exhaust, i.e a Muscle Car. Cats are a fairly new invention, only about 36 years old for cars.

BTW, all cars have cams, well at least one, so yeah it sounds stupid because it is not running. Our 74 Vette has no cats from the factory and sounds FN AWESOME with factory mufflers.

Then...
Ohhhhh RELAX.

I never said anything of the sort. It is a matter of opinion; that's all. I know all about you and your opinions. :lol:

LSX cars with cutouts sound awesome and so do cars that never had cats on them!

Seriously, RELAX, you are going to kill yourself before your 16th birthday. :lol::lol::lol: I am JUST kidding.
Whatever floats your boat though. Your a mod so I guess your right by default.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
my 99 trans am was bone stock motor, had 3" exhaust with lt headers, no cats. sounded freaking amazing. my camaro had the exhaust on before my cam went in and it wounded really good with no cats. it all really depends on the muffler as to what kind of sound you get. the cats dont really do much for the sound, as far as changing the tone. they keep it a bit quieter though.

·
8,984 Posts
Rod, you are trying to state facts where the subject matter is subjective. I was kidding and I apologize for kidding with you.

I fully understand that some individuals cannot take a little ribbing from time to time. My fault as I thought you could handle it. I truly apologize and I will not make that mistake again.

As far as me being a Moderator, I believe I made the original posting kidding you before I was honored with the title, so no that cannot be true.

But now that I am a Moderator, everything from that point foward can be considered gospel.

Oh ****, I kidded with you again. Sorry, it's a disease. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts