Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a little research on intake elbows... SLP Sells their plastic Blackwing tube and filter kit for $199; claims 10hp... New Era Performance sells their replacement aluminum intake elbow for $89, and claims 5rwhp... I already had a K&N drop in, so I figured why spend all the $$ on the Blackwing?

I figured I could find something that would probably give me the same results for lot less money. Eventually I would like to try making an intake elbow out of carbon fiber, but that's down the road aways.

I found this Magnuson Supercharger inlet duct on ebay, that goes from the Maggie to the stock airbox... At the time the guy seemed to have a lot of them.

I figured it was probably close enough to get this on there, because in theory the Maggie just moves the throttle body up, so the angle would be about the same. I was close, it seems the throttle body is also moved out , so the TB to Tube clamp that came with the kit would not work for this. SO I went out to the hardware store and bought a rubber 4"x4" pipe coupler for $6.95, which attaches the tube to the airbox, then I was able to use the Silicone hump tube that came with the kit to go from the tube to the TB...

I think it looks pretty good. I started it up, and I can't seem to find and airleaks, and no CEL, so far so good. I doubt I've noticed a difference, but it makes a little more intake noise, and it sure looks cleaner.

Total cost for this project: $40.10. Thoughts? Is it too ghetto?

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sweet :) beats mine by $160! ("custom 4" intake finished" thread)
I guess if you count the K&N I'm into it for a total of $76.10. I'm sure the elbow is probably just as good at the SLP, not sure how the K&N flows as compared to the SLP filter though. Can't beat this setup for the price though! :thumbsup:

·
8,984 Posts
Can you flip it upside down so it does not say supercharged? :lol: Other than that, great job!

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you flip it upside down so it does not say supercharged? :lol: Other than that, great job!
Unfortunately it doesn't fit the other way around, already tried. Can't sand off the letters otherwise it would make holes in the tube... It is what it is...

Kinda cool though when people see it, makes them scratch their heads.

·
8,984 Posts
How about wrapping it in black exhaust wrap?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn't fit the other way around, already tried. Can't sand off the letters otherwise it would make holes in the tube... It is what it is...

Kinda cool though when people see it, makes them scratch their heads.
I like keep them thinking. Take to a car show and walk up to some one with out them knowing its your car and say "supercharged nice" and see if they agree and try to explain it.. People dont like to be preceived as not knowing something....

·
8,984 Posts
I like keep them thinking. Take to a car show and walk up to some one with out them knowing its your car and say "supercharged nice" and see if they agree and try to explain it.. People dont like to be preceived as not knowing something....
And bring a video Camera!:lol:

·
8,984 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts