Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok how do I put this.....

I ran across a Camaro that has 145,000mi on it.
Dam good price but my brother told me do bolt ons on the car and thats it.
I wanted to know what I could do to this car without worry of blowing it up assuming that its not too worn out. Or should I look into rebuilding the motor?
Need some advice.
Car is a M6 has a centerforce clucth on it with borla exhast and a 5.0 shifter. Other than that its untouched.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I would jump on it.

Since you want to mod it I think thats a better choice.
Heck you can get a forged internals block and some supsension mods, forced induction and still not spend that much if thats all your paying for the car. You could always be working on a forged block and in the mean time spray the stock one till it blows.:D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
High mileage on an LS1 is not that bad. Mine wen't kaput but it had nothing to do with mileage. Hell after taking the heads off and looking into the cylinders theres no way you'd be able to tell theres almost 150k miles on it. My fingernail won't catch on anything no grooves etc. Just freshen up the internals such as oil pump lifters, timing chain, valve springs, pistons etc and probably drop in some ARP rod bolts and go for what you know.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
High mileage on an LS1 is not that bad. Mine wen't kaput but it had nothing to do with mileage. Hell after taking the heads off and looking into the cylinders theres no way you'd be able to tell theres almost 150k miles on it. My fingernail won't catch on anything no grooves etc. Just freshen up the internals such as oil pump lifters, timing chain, valve springs, pistons etc and probably drop in some ARP rod bolts and go for what you know.
Thats what I was thinkin.
I just gotta decide on what to do.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yup! My buddy has a '98 T/A and he's just about to hit 300,000 KM (187,500 mi.). He's never opened up the engine either!
FWIW, the car just went through Ontario's emissions testing and the numbers last week were pretty well the same as when the car was new!

Best regardSS,

Elie

·
Registered
206 Posts
buy the car now,:bat:
a 6.0 engine is a good starting point with ls6 heads and bolt ons
or a rebuild of the stock ls1, rings and pistons are like 300$ for stock replacement, and go with new ls6 heads, those are like 500$ for a brand new assembled pair, even with a 02' z06 ls6 cam and the ls6 heads
thru stock manifolds it will make about 400hp with oem parts and a tune.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There

is a 98 or 99 C5 on the corvette Forum with 300,000 miles! Enginr is original. He has replaced tranny and rear. plus assorted bits and pieces, but engine block and I beleieve heads are orig

·
Registered
107 Posts
For what it's worth, my 99 LS1 z28 has 191xxx miles on it and, although its at my mechanics at the moment waiting on a new fuel pump, runs and drives just fine. Still pulls hard, and when cruising, purrs like a kitten.

It's also my DD. I got it almost 4 years ago with around 160xxx miles(as far as I can remember) on it and have driven it every day since. I love it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Got my 98 Z28 new its my DD has 240,000+ on it now never had or needed any engine work :)
1 Trans redo and on 2nd clutch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts