Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any of you on here have 100k plus mileage on your Thirdgens? I have 124k-ish on mine. The odometer (and trip odometer) died at 121,610 before I got the car, but it wasn't driven much after it died. I've heard of LO3 cars going 500k+, and know of one (a friend) with 295k on his, still running good! I hope my 305 still has a lot of life left in it, it runs pretty good, needs a few things still, but my guage reads low oil pressure, so that might be a bad sign. It's still getting 25+ mpg (when I'm nice to it) though, so it must be decently healthy. What's your mileage?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
My mileage is 95,xxx but actual mileage is around 93-94k, my odo is a little off. I've seen some go into the high 200s. The 305 is a decent engine for mileage and decent power, I'm not surprised at some high mile thirdgens.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mileage is 95,xxx but actual mileage is around 93-94k, my odo is a little off. I've seen some go into the high 200s. The 305 is a decent engine for mileage and decent power, I'm not surprised at some high mile thirdgens.
Looks like you are a lucky guy and have the LB9 TPI... I have a guy that wants to sell me his LB9/700R4 swap with 70,000 adult driven miles. $1,250... I'm considering it, but I don't know how good LB9's are in the long run... I know the TBI's are amazingly reliable motors even in the 200k range.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny thing is if my motor goes, it'll either get fixed or replaced with another 305 TBI... everyone says it's stupid, well, it's cheap, and the 305 TBI sounds amazing... great little cruising cars, with great mod potential.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
My 92 had low oil pressure (20ish) at idle when new.

The dealer said it was Ok but I had them change the pump anyhow. You might just want to do the same if it is worrying you. The pressure was always closer to 40psi at idle after that.

You should be able to get 200k+ miles as long as you maintain your car. The good thing is short blocks or rebuild kits aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Looks like you are a lucky guy and have the LB9 TPI... I have a guy that wants to sell me his LB9/700R4 swap with 70,000 adult driven miles. $1,250... I'm considering it, but I don't know how good LB9's are in the long run... I know the TBI's are amazingly reliable motors even in the 200k range.

IMO, just stick with the TBI setup you got going and when your ready find a TPI car.

But idk why you are caring about long run potential..it's a thirdgen and they break.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMO, just stick with the TBI setup you got going and when your ready find a TPI car.

But idk why you are caring about long run potential..it's a thirdgen and they break.
I care about the long run because this car is getting me to college for the next three years. With work and school, it's getting 100 miles a day put on it. Until I buy something cheap that will get me around so the Camaro doesn't have to.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Some kid, the car still looked and drove good. I babied that car the entire time I had it.

This is her at about 225,000 miles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Earlier this year I sold my 89 RS (L03/700R4) to my friends son. It had 212,xxx on the original drivetrain. His kid repainted the car (pops owns a body shop) and uses it as a daily driver. Still spins the tire (no posi) and runs just fine.

·
Banned
33 Posts
My 89 RS had 142,000 on it when the 305 came out 3.5 yrs ago. Never had any problems out of mine. And the motor is still going strong in the guy's pickup truck I sold it too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts