Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch in my 2010 SS seems to get hot, or at least smell hot really fast.
Stop and go traffic, or an aggressive slip and I get that hot smell for a few.
I'm not used to performance vehicles, so I don't really know if this is normal?
I know how to drive a stick, I don't ride it, just curious if anyone else notices it.....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Burnt Clutch Smell

Yes, I've experienced the burnt clutch smell a time or two on my 2010 2SS. Most recently I was attempting to parallel park on a steep hill with the car facing down hill. Backing into position took a bit of clutch slipping. After that, the burnt clutch smell was very evident but dissipated quickly and didn't seem to have any effect on the clutche's performance.

I suspect there must be something in the make up of the friction material GM used on this model. Has anyone with a later model experienced anything like this? Do we have some tech types that might explain the phenomena specifically addressing the make up of clutch friction materials that makes them more or less prone to burning? That would be helpful in understanding what's happening as well as in operating our clutches in a manner that will assure they survive for a longer time before requiring replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, just nice to know that I'm not alone.
I'm planning on dropping the tranny and fixing the Synchomesh issue probably at tax time, and while it's out, probably update a few parts, including most likely a Centerforce clutch and maybe a beefed up output shaft.
Any recommendations for other mods while I"m in there? Opinions?
Is a two stage overkill?
Thanks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts