Modern Camaro Forums banner

how bad is it

3K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  CUONCRS 
#1 ·
to be hard on the car for the first 500 miles i hear some say to take it easy, but others say drive like you naturaly would....

i was just wondering because i don't know if i'll be able to resist smoking out scotty's dealership when i take delivery.:roxor::roxor::roxor::drool:

#3 ·
i know what you mean.I hear ppl say take it easy,or break it in but its so hard to resist!For me im ususly burning them on the test drive.....With my Z i waited untill they had check in hand the with about 10 ppl watching i smoked them up in the dealers lot.

#7 ·
LOL My Rearend is Just find Kinda sore from sitting alot today....HAHA oh My vette Well Kinda Having trouble Finding A gear Set....I found a New Housing...Just working on Gears Now....Lol Ive been avoiding the Wife. I go to Bed after She Does Wake B4 her....So As far as i know Shes Cool lol

#10 ·
I've heard this too, I know when my parents bought their 4Runner (....:lookandleave:) they were told to drive it easy for the first 500 miles or so.

The only thing that's going to save me from just pounding on the Camaro as soon as I get it is the fact that I'm just learning to drive a manual for the Camaro, so I'll still be pretty new and taking it easier than I normally would until I get comfortable with it.

#11 ·
Today's cars are manufactured with fewer tolerance issues in the motors. The only break-in you need to do is maybe vary your rpm's during the first few hundred miles. In other words, don't get on the highway and cruise for 300 miles at just 2000 rpm. I also like to change the oil at the first 1K miles to full synthetic and then every 3-5K after that.

Like modsled, I'll be 'paving' the dealers lot with a fresh coat of rubber!:D

#14 ·
I have always heard to let it break in the first 500 miles but if you were to open it up and something were to break, it was going to break anyway. Also I heard that the LS2s "use" oil. about a quart between changes. Then it was posted on LS2 forum somewhere that if you drive it hard during the break in period then it doesnt "use" oil. It may have to do with synthetic oil, it comes in the LS2s and I am sure the LS3s also. FWIW
I dont think I will be bringing the rpms to the redline mark during the "breakin period" but I will be a little hard on it.

#15 ·
If you want power, break it in hard, even on today's cars. The engine overhaul books have not changed their recommendations from 30 years to today, they state, in plain English, that if you do not supply the necessary pressure to seat the rings, which comes from the upper RPM range, that you will have issues ranging from a lack of power to as serious as oil blow-by and then have to rebuild it all over again.

The car before last I purchased, had zero miles on the odometer when I picked it up (The last car I had already had 800 miles, so I missed break-in). I babied the throttle, followed the instructions in the manual on how to take care of it for the first few thousand miles. Well, awhile later I dyno'ed it, around the same time a friend on the forum I was on, also dyno'ed his unmodified car, but he broke it in hard. A 25 WHP difference in a 3.0L DOHC V6.

#16 ·
If you want power, break it in hard, even on today's cars.
Break it in hard, well I guess that's just a sacrifice I will have to make.:D

#18 ·
:lol:
See listen to that service, that's why he deserves our business. He's always going above and beyond what is asked.

#22 ·
Every car has 7-15 miles on it already, they all go through some testing.
Also they are driven from the end of assembly through all the test stages, to the holding spot, then on the truck, then off the truck at the dealer.

As far as break in... I think it's best to drive cautious until about 25 miles, then proceed driving normally.
Disclaimer: your definition of "driving normally" may vary from mine. :lol:

When I bought my 1994 Camaro Z28 new, it had 7 miles on it.
I was told to go easy on it the first 500 miles, but I really didn't at all, and that car treated me well. :)

#24 ·
I'm usually easy on my cars until the first oil change at around 1k miles like some have already said. As long as you aren't' over revving by missing a shift or jamming it into the wrong gear I don't think you are doing any real harm.

The G8 had 21 miles when I bought it. One other person had test driven that I know of and I put 5 miles on it myself when I test drove it. Since it had to be shipped from the factory in Australia to a holding area then on and back off the boat and onto a train and then back onto a car carrier that isn't bad.

#28 ·
So, Scotty, it sounds like you need to set up a certain area in your lot for Camaros to leave. Somewhere where there can be a few marks left. It would actually be cool. People asking "What is that area over there with all those skid marks that is roped off?" "Oh, that's where people leave from when they pick up their Camaros..." :D

#34 ·
I think it would be a great gimmick, and maybe even something to get your dealership known (other than your great sales numbers).

While Bentley may roll out a red carpet for their buyers, Camaro buyers get to help make a black carpet. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.