Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
few days ago, I decide to pursue my dream. I want a 3rd gen f-body and modded if is possible (88' Camaro iroc-z with t-tops would be perfect ;)), there is something about them that make me want one every single time i see them. The problem is that i dont know how to install auto parts into the car, how they work, etc... this is why i kind of dont "dare" to pursue my dream. this is why i made this thread, to get advice of more experienced car guys. I would truly appreciated.

Alex :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i meant any 3rd gen f-body, but for some reason i like the tail lamps of the 88 better than any other ones, but they are just head lights.

I believe that after 86 they stop putting the 305 and put a 350 right? if is right i think i rather from 87 to 92.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
i meant any 3rd gen f-body, but for some reason i like the tail lamps of the 88 better than any other ones, but they are just head lights.

I believe that after 86 they stop putting the 305 and put a 350 right? if is right i think i rather from 87 to 92.
The taillights were all the same from 85-92 I believe. I know my 89 had the same as my 91. Not sure what you mean comparing them to the headlights.

They never stopped putting the 305 in the car. 87 was the first year that 350 was available, but the 305 was the base engine. If you want to row the gears yourself, your only choice was the 305. I would prefer a 305/5 speed over a 350/auto, but they are much harder to find.

Any third gen questions, please ask. There are a lot of us here who know quite a bit.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The taillights were all the same from 85-92 I believe. I know my 89 had the same as my 91. Not sure what you mean comparing them to the headlights.

They never stopped putting the 305 in the car. 87 was the first year that 350 was available, but the 305 was the base engine. If you want to row the gears yourself, your only choice was the 305. I would prefer a 305/5 speed over a 350/auto, but they are much harder to find.

Any third gen questions, please ask. There are a lot of us here who know quite a bit.
can you get a 350/5?

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Good advice for the most part so far :cool:

You will probably sift through a lot of junk before you find a nice clean 3rd gen for sale at a price you are happy with. Once you do, don't look back! You can learn quite a bit from the right magazines and 3rd gen specific forums for sure :cool:

Also, get hooked up with a local Camaro club for more support and assistance :cool:

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
My car was a 305 car. I took the motor out and put in a 350 block and swapped the auto out for a T56. Did all the work myself so if you do find you car the t56 swap is actually pretty easy. you just need the right tools and patience.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
well, i subscribe to the Chevy High Performance Magazine 6 months ago. i think it has pretty good articles about how to do certain thing and products info :)
You may want to subscribe to GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Performers. Chevy High Performance doesn't have much info about thirdgens as opposed to GMHTP and CP.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My car was a 305 car. I took the motor out and put in a 350 block and swapped the auto out for a T56. Did all the work myself so if you do find you car the t56 swap is actually pretty easy. you just need the right tools and patience.
How much did the T56 cost you?

You may want to subscribe to GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Performers. Chevy High Performance doesn't have much info about thirdgens as opposed to GMHTP and CP.
true, but i still like the camaros, novas, chevelles, elcos, etc... ;)
the next issue they are going to show how to install a supercharger on a 2010 camaro if anyone is interested. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
How much did the T56 cost you?
Everything i needed for the swap i got for $500 cuz i bought a whole car with my brother and we parted it out. $500 for a rebuild and upgrades to the transmission. $400 for ram clutch. $100 for Pro 5.0 shifter. roughly $150 for hydraulics cuz i busted the master. $200 for crossmember. I always say though, if your gona do a manual swap, just do the T56 and dont mess with a T5

1 - 19 of 19 Posts