Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering what everyone's opinion is on debageing any car with stick on badges? What chemicals/tools are the best to use that won't mess up the paint!?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Debadge

The best and easiest is with heat applied to the badge (Not a blow torch) but a heat gun similar to a hair drier. When warmed to the right temp use a piece of plastic fishing line pull it under the badge and this will remove the bonding. The adhesive residue can then be removed with a remover such as goof off or sometimes just by using auto detailer or wax.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
I've debaged almost every vehicle I've owned :D

I use a heat gun and my fingers for the most part. Fishing line works for those hard to grap emblems.
Any leftover residue is cleaned up quick with a COTTON rag and some 3M adhesive remover.
Don't forget to wax/polish the area when you are done :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best and easiest is with heat applied to the badge (Not a blow torch) but a heat gun similar to a hair drier. When warmed to the right temp use a piece of plastic fishing line pull it under the badge and this will remove the bonding. The adhesive residue can then be removed with a remover such as goof off or sometimes just by using auto detailer or wax.

Couldnt have put it any better! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
after removing badge. i use wd40 to get remaining glue off.

·
8,984 Posts
Exactly.

In Texas, we just leave the car in the sun for a few hours. It is as hot as a Heat gun!

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Exactly.

In Texas, we just leave the car in the sun for a few hours. It is as hot as a Heat gun!
Sad but true lol I just removed someones badges off of there focus this last weekend for them and all I used was fishing line.
I wrapped a piece around 2 screwdrivers slid the line behind the badge.....lightly pulled against the badge while working it back and forth and it came off. I scratched the gluestuff off with my finger then took some goo gone to take the rest off then I waxed it and done.

Around here in the summer its been known for badges to fall off when you dont know due to the heat lol

I lost my rearview mirror on a set of streetscene truck mirrors because of the 100degree temps melting the glue/stucko they use lol it fell off driving down the highway.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice thanks guys i appreciate it, seems easy enough, ill be Orlando for the summer they should practically fall off lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know thread revival, but this is what search gave me to work with.

I got the heat and fishing line trick, did that to my 06 Eclipse. But is it the same for the bowtie on the back? What about the front? I just ordered the heritage badges and am trying to research. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Figured it out. The back are both stickers, heat, goo gone and string. The front are both just tabs and pretty much just pop out.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Nobody mentioned the 2 huge holes behind the rear bowtie, opps. Hope the new one covers them up or I guess I will be getting the black stripe back there.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
fishing line and goo gone. then a little wax when done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya, I got it cleaned up. But that doesnt fix the holes. Also the fishing line wouldnt go past the 2 pegs. I soaked in goo gone and used some nylon string. If anyone is trying I would suggest putting something behind the opposite side of the badge to prevent scratching when you pull.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
i realized there was pins holding that badge in before i tried to take mine off. always check behind a badge to see if there is more holding it in than double sided tape. i took my trunk cover off and noticed the pins in it and decided to leave it alone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
LMP said that the new SS badge will cover so I will have to see how well. Would have been nice to have the option of leaving it off though.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
the bow tie? now why would gm give you the option to have your car debadged or not?

·
Registered
29 Posts

Nobody mentioned the 2 huge holes behind the rear bowtie, opps. Hope the new one covers them up or I guess I will be getting the black stripe back there.
Besides these?

What do you want to see? I should get the new badges tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts