Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned a car with OnStar or Bluetooth. In regards to cell phone operation, how does it work with these systems? Does the OnStar cell system have its own cell number or does my cell phone integrate with it? (Like Bluetooth?)

Does Bluetooth work like I think it does, by patching in to my phone for hands-off communication through the stereo?

Since I've had neither, I might not be even asking the questions right!

Help!

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I've never owned a car with OnStar or Bluetooth. In regards to cell phone operation, how does it work with these systems? Does the OnStar cell system have its own cell number or does my cell phone integrate with it? (Like Bluetooth?)

Does Bluetooth work like I think it does, by patching in to my phone for hands-off communication through the stereo?

Since I've had neither, I might not be even asking the questions right!

Help!
You either use there service or you can use it thru your I think its Verision phone service, but that is the only phone co you can do that with. If you don't do it that way then you have to use minutes you buy from Onstar.

I don't know about the blutooth thing.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Larry, Bluetooth equipped vehicles when properly setup with your Bluetooth compatible phone, will 'connect' each time you enter your car. Any incoming calls to your phone (once connected via Bluetooth) will be handled through the car's stereo. Some vehicles utilize controls on the head unit or mirror to answer calls or initiate a call. As for the OnStar aspect, I'm not sure how that part works with your phone....I believe calls made via OnStar are an actual satellite connection and therefore almost a gauranteed connection regardless of local cell connectivity, but it costs quite a bit more than a cell call.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
The OnStar cell service is nice if you need it in a pinch, but it does cost more than traditional cell calls.

However, if you're an existing Verizon Wireless customer, you can add the car to your existing plan just like adding any other second line, and it would only cost $10 a month.

Personally I don't feel I would use that enough to justify the cost, even though I do have Verizon (for now).

Bluetooth is just as Jonz described, very easy and quite cool. :)

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
The hands free calling in a GM vehicle does use verizon. The system in the car has more power than a traditional handheld, thus making it better is area's normal phones don't work.

When you buy a car, with your 1 year of free onstar, you get 30 free minutes to use in 60 days. The phone (if not added to a verizon plan) is similar to a tracfone, where you buy minutes in advance. When you do you onstar call at delivery, they offer you 100 more minutes for about $16.60. The normal cost for 100 minutes is like $29.99....the more minutes you buy, the cheaper it is.

Many of the 2009's have BT available as standard, or as an option, including vettes and silverados.

As more area's make talking on a cell phone while driving illegal - the hands free feature, BT or OnStar become a nice feature.

Dealerships are allowed to have one DEMO car set up for demonstrations....stop by your dealership and check it out. If they don't go somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Scotty, can you confirm the fact that Bluetooth equipped Camaros will be reliant upon an active subscription with OnStar?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bluetooth and onstar a seperate features.

If you own a Bluetooth equipped car and phone you can always connect your phone via bluetooth for handsfree calling.. this uses your phone for the call.. it has no connection to Onstar

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Bluetooth and onstar a seperate features.

If you own a Bluetooth equipped car and phone you can always connect your phone via bluetooth for handsfree calling.. this uses your phone for the call.. it has no connection to Onstar
Thanks for the clarification, GTC! I was ready to go caveman on the General for that one.:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Here in the DFW area we do have Verizon however you are talking about an area that Supports AT&T/Old Cingular to the fullest. Verizon is Big into internet around here but there are a few who have there service for cellphone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
with the bluetooth, and a verizon cellphone, some questions:
- will the callerID of incoming calls come up on the dashboard?
- can i dial calls using dashboard keys somehow or must i use phone?
(i don't like voice dialing).
- how nicely does the speakerphone work? can callers tell it's a speakerphone in a car? (some integrated-carphones are *incredible*!)

- if i had an "iPhone" instead of verizon phone, would it work exactly as with a verizon phone?

thanks !

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
with the bluetooth, and a verizon cellphone, some questions:
- will the callerID of incoming calls come up on the dashboard?
- can i dial calls using dashboard keys somehow or must i use phone?
(i don't like voice dialing).
- how nicely does the speakerphone work? can callers tell it's a speakerphone in a car? (some integrated-carphones are *incredible*!)

- if i had an "iPhone" instead of verizon phone, would it work exactly as with a verizon phone?

thanks !
1. yes
2. yes, dial by voice
3. good!

Go to your dealer and ask for a blue tooth demo

·
Registered
193 Posts
Bluetooth is amazing. I called my wife on it last night and she said she couldn't tell I was not talking through my phone. She said it was crystal clear and I was talking in my normal tone of voice.
I took the verizon deal for 10 bucks a month but I might cancel it as all the calls are through my phone. I can see where having it though would save you if your phone came up missing or something.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As of July 12, 2009 Verizon and Onstar went their separate ways on Verizon having a phone system on a vehicle. I found this out after July 12 that both do not work together anymore. With the Bluetooth, you just need your cell phone and link it and it works with the bluetooth great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts