Modern Camaro Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm wondering just how effective wheel locks are? Do they create a false sense of security?
I would think that they are a false sense of security because you must keep the wrench in the car in case of a flat tire. Any thief worthy of the name will know that. If not, they will just cut them off or freeze them with freon and smash them with a ball peen hammer. On the gen 4s, SLP used to remove them from the Z28s when they converted them to Super Sports and I know this because I had one of each.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
They can be a false sense of security if you do not understand the premise.

They are a theft deterrent, not the end all in keeping your wheels with your vehicle.

They will deter the random attempt, but if someone has targeted your vehicle specifically, they more than likely have the tools to do the job quickly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's pretty much what I thought. I guess I'm wondering just how effective they actually are? How easy can you just hammer a socket on or break them....? I had them on a truck of mine and never had issues, but then again it wasn't a brand new Camaro.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's a deterrent for the casual thief that see's an easy target! If they want your rims and have enough time they will get them. Locks are easy enough to get off without the key, alarms can at least draw a little attention, but the idiots who set them so sensitive they go off every ten minutes have kinda ruined the usefulness of the alarm actually draw anything but hate!!!

·
9,152 Posts
That's pretty much what I thought. I guess I'm wondering just how effective they actually are? How easy can you just hammer a socket on or break them....? I had them on a truck of mine and never had issues, but then again it wasn't a brand new Camaro.
I would still run them :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Definitely not worth it...unless you buy a lock for each stud for each wheel...very costly and very time consuming for you to remove when necessary...however, thieves do not want to spend a lot of time removing 20 wheel locks.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Not time consuming at all for me to remove 20 wheel locks. Takes about the same as 20 regular nuts...but I have the key.

·
8,984 Posts
How easy can you just hammer a socket on or break them....?
That's exactly how you get them off, if you loose the lock.

MARK25....I am not sure why is it not worth it, even when you gave a reason.

I like protecting my "investments".

I have never had locks on any stock wheels, but I have had them on several sets of aftermarket.

Like patriot said, it is no more time consuming, if you have the key, than removing regular lug nuts.

With that said, I am fairly mechanically inclined so it may be easier for me to install the key than you.:lol:

Also, it is hard to drive a car without wheels, so wheel locks are a no brainer for me.:D

·
9,152 Posts
Definitely not worth it...unless you buy a lock for each stud for each wheel...very costly and very time consuming for you to remove when necessary...however, thieves do not want to spend a lot of time removing 20 wheel locks.
How is it not worth it?

No wheel locks = wheels more likely to be stolen.
Wheel locks = less likely to be stolen.

·
8,984 Posts
I fixed it.....more of my advertising bug rearing it's head!

Nonoxynol-9, just like a factory alarm better to have some protection then no protection...
:lol::lol::lol:

·
8,984 Posts
Thanks!

I am not real sure where this stuff comes from, but I need to harness it to make money some how!!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I agree with OverAnxious. Having wheel locks make it less likely that your wheels will be stolen. Also apply some thought when parking your vehicle. If parking in a public place, make sure the area is well lighted and has a good deal of visibility. Having a steady flow of pedestrian and vehicle traffic would help as well. I think thieves love a vehicle parked way out in the "back forty" because the owner doesn't want anybody to park next to it. These secluded spots are ripe for thieves to work in. Usually they are not well lighted, and have little, or no traffic around.

·
Registered
77 Posts
does anyone know if the Camaro comes with a car alarm? If so how good is it?

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
does anyone know if the Camaro comes with a car alarm? If so how good is it?

When alarm is set the factory alarm only goes off if someone opens the door, hood or trunk without FOB or key . It does have starter kill so car won't start if alarm has been activated. As small as the windows are you would almost have to open door to get in unless its a petite crook.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thats not too bad, I was thinking of getting a Viper alarm, living in Tucson AZ, 50 miles from Mexico I may just have to spend the extra cash, I can get kinda a good deal if I tie in the tint, they will do 5% all the way around too. I like the dark tint because it makes people think twice before missing with the car because they can't see if someone is inside.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
True, but then again if I spent 4 something grand on a set of wheels you can bet that I'll go ahead and buy locks for all 5 studs on each wheel. It will atleast deter/take them much longer to steal your wheels. I already pretty much had my mind made up about wheel locks. I just kinda wanted to see what the general consensus was. Thanks for all the feedback guys!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.