Modern Camaro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How effective are wheel locks??

16K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  OverAnxious 
#1 ·
I'm wondering just how effective wheel locks are? Do they create a false sense of security?

#2 ·
I would think that they are a false sense of security because you must keep the wrench in the car in case of a flat tire. Any thief worthy of the name will know that. If not, they will just cut them off or freeze them with freon and smash them with a ball peen hammer. On the gen 4s, SLP used to remove them from the Z28s when they converted them to Super Sports and I know this because I had one of each.

#3 ·
They can be a false sense of security if you do not understand the premise.

They are a theft deterrent, not the end all in keeping your wheels with your vehicle.

They will deter the random attempt, but if someone has targeted your vehicle specifically, they more than likely have the tools to do the job quickly.

#4 ·
That's pretty much what I thought. I guess I'm wondering just how effective they actually are? How easy can you just hammer a socket on or break them....? I had them on a truck of mine and never had issues, but then again it wasn't a brand new Camaro.

#9 ·
How easy can you just hammer a socket on or break them....?
That's exactly how you get them off, if you loose the lock.

MARK25....I am not sure why is it not worth it, even when you gave a reason.

I like protecting my "investments".

I have never had locks on any stock wheels, but I have had them on several sets of aftermarket.

Like patriot said, it is no more time consuming, if you have the key, than removing regular lug nuts.

With that said, I am fairly mechanically inclined so it may be easier for me to install the key than you.:lol:

Also, it is hard to drive a car without wheels, so wheel locks are a no brainer for me.:D

#5 ·
It's a deterrent for the casual thief that see's an easy target! If they want your rims and have enough time they will get them. Locks are easy enough to get off without the key, alarms can at least draw a little attention, but the idiots who set them so sensitive they go off every ten minutes have kinda ruined the usefulness of the alarm actually draw anything but hate!!!

#7 ·
Definitely not worth it...unless you buy a lock for each stud for each wheel...very costly and very time consuming for you to remove when necessary...however, thieves do not want to spend a lot of time removing 20 wheel locks.

#10 ·
Definitely not worth it...unless you buy a lock for each stud for each wheel...very costly and very time consuming for you to remove when necessary...however, thieves do not want to spend a lot of time removing 20 wheel locks.
How is it not worth it?

No wheel locks = wheels more likely to be stolen.
Wheel locks = less likely to be stolen.

#8 ·
Not time consuming at all for me to remove 20 wheel locks. Takes about the same as 20 regular nuts...but I have the key.

#14 ·
Thanks!

I am not real sure where this stuff comes from, but I need to harness it to make money some how!!!!

#15 ·
I agree with OverAnxious. Having wheel locks make it less likely that your wheels will be stolen. Also apply some thought when parking your vehicle. If parking in a public place, make sure the area is well lighted and has a good deal of visibility. Having a steady flow of pedestrian and vehicle traffic would help as well. I think thieves love a vehicle parked way out in the "back forty" because the owner doesn't want anybody to park next to it. These secluded spots are ripe for thieves to work in. Usually they are not well lighted, and have little, or no traffic around.

#18 ·
When alarm is set the factory alarm only goes off if someone opens the door, hood or trunk without FOB or key . It does have starter kill so car won't start if alarm has been activated. As small as the windows are you would almost have to open door to get in unless its a petite crook.

#19 ·
Thats not too bad, I was thinking of getting a Viper alarm, living in Tucson AZ, 50 miles from Mexico I may just have to spend the extra cash, I can get kinda a good deal if I tie in the tint, they will do 5% all the way around too. I like the dark tint because it makes people think twice before missing with the car because they can't see if someone is inside.

#20 ·
True, but then again if I spent 4 something grand on a set of wheels you can bet that I'll go ahead and buy locks for all 5 studs on each wheel. It will atleast deter/take them much longer to steal your wheels. I already pretty much had my mind made up about wheel locks. I just kinda wanted to see what the general consensus was. Thanks for all the feedback guys!!!

#21 ·
Come on guys.... don't have this thread locked. I'm just looking for some opinions here. No reason to get all upset, and off topic. So to start a new discussion does anyone prefer one brand over another? I personally have used Gorilla and they worked just fine for me.....

#26 ·
I see that fourth Camaro feels the need for a closing salvo. Why not clean it after my response to Fourth Camaro's cheap shots. He questioned my truthfullness and does not consider that to be an attack? He misquoted me about alarms and doesn't consider that provocative? I will call SLP today with my car number and ask them who installed the 17" wheels. According to my window sticker, my 02SS was a Z28 with the SS option that started out with the 16's. I bought this car and my 98 Z28 brand new.

#30 · (Edited)
"He questioned my truthfullness and does not consider that to be an attack? He misquoted me about alarms and doesn't consider that provocative?"

See, this is why you really only should resort to deleting the posts that are strong personal attacks. There is no one with an IQ over 50 that would have inferred from what I said what this guy insinuates that I said, and now what I said is gone. You yourself laughed at the tomfoolery of bragging about spending $900 to back up the great (that's my opinion HDDum) factory alarm system. :rolleyes:

#28 ·
This will be my last post on this subject. On page 5-26 of the fourth gen owners manual under "changing a tire" it says; If your vehicle has optional alloy wheels, each wheel may have one locknut in place of the standard nut etc. It goes on to tell you that the key for this locknut is in the center console. So I guess that I was not making it up that my 98 Z28 came with wheel locks.

#32 ·
Lemme back up the truck on this one. hddan does have a point, so I'm going to defend him on this one- to a point. On the 2002 neither of our cars came with factory locks. It's NOT because anyone took them off. They just didn't have them. The owner's manual says they MAY have them. That's like a weatherman saying it MAY rain. Z28s didn't have "optional" alloy wheels anyway in 2002. You either got the stock painted alloy wheels, chromed alloy wheels, or the SS painted 10-spoke alloy wheels. The bigger question for me is why it would be random. But to complain that you didn't get locks on a car when you don't know for sure it should have them is moot because GM gets out of it by saying "may". So hddan "may" be incorrect in saying his 98 came with wheel locks, because they "may" not have had them.

It sucks getting old. On the 93, I was reminded by the wife the car had a factory lock nut on each wheel when it left the showroom. The reason I vaguely remember that is when the first tire rotation was done (first 5 oil changes and tire rotations were free at the dealer as part of the original agreement) one of the techs boogered up one of the nuts somehow so they replaced the lockers with regular nuts when the wife took it in. So after 7 years of owning the car, I pretty much completely forgot it came with locks and it wasn't until 1995 that I had to even touch the tires and I know they didn't have locks then. I just happened to ask the wife if she remembered anything about the 93 having a lock nut, and as she was there, she remembered it and I didn't.

Point is, if you don't have locks and feel a bit more warm and fuzzy if you do, then you should go ahead and buy them. Make sure you can get a replacement key should you need it. I feel the same about locking gas caps. May not do much to deter hijinx, but it gives me a bit more peace of mind.

#33 · (Edited)
Z28s didn't have "optional" alloy wheels anyway in 2002. You either got the stock painted alloy wheels, chromed alloy wheels, or the SS painted 10-spoke alloy wheels. The bigger question for me is why it would be random.

Point is, if you don't have locks and feel a bit more warm and fuzzy if you do, then you should go ahead and buy them.
There was also a 35th anniversary wheel in '02, and I think the chrome would be considered the "optional" alloy.

I really don't care whether he got factory locks. His insinuation was that SLP didn't feel locks were necessary because they didn't reinstall the locks.
I can think of other reasons the locks were not re installed, that have nothing do do with them being "worthless". Was there a different type of lug for the SLP wheels? Did SLP feel locks weren't their responsibility?
As I stated with my story in the last thread he may a point of saying wheel locks "are a waste of money" in the V6 forum, $25 is a nice inexpensive insurance policy. http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15833

#36 ·
For the information of fourth Camaro, I just got off of the phone with Jerry from SLP and they indeed did remove the factory wheel locks from my car when they installed the Super Sport package in 2002. There were wheel locks on my 1998 from the factory and I had the painted alloy wheels. I'm out of here too. I already have my '10SS and I do not need this agravation. I came onto this site originally to find out about car shipments I only stayed on to find out more about what the other owners were expieriencing and to tell what I was learning about mine. Sayonara!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.