Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GTO has been in need of a lil TLC lately. No time to fix the odds n ends, has a few things not working properly. One of them being the parking brake. It works but hasn't been working like it should. If I parked on a hill I left it in gear. No prob. Well, at home where I park is a very slight incline. Never worried about it because of the indentions in the dirt keep it in place. I've had it idling there w/o any brake on at all before. OK, so the GTO's at the house in the usual spot with ebrake on like it is every night or when it's parked. We decided to go out to eat dinner. Go eat, have fun, come home. I get home and the **** GTO is nuzzling the tree about 10 ft from where I parked it. Son of a rats wicked stepmother! :angry:

Damage isn't too bad, scraped the bumper cover, but it's not broke or cracked. The back side of the headlight broke off, but just the back corner piece, they headlight is still sealed. Lastly the fender got pushed in about 2 inches or so right behind the light. 2 inches in 2 inches back again nothing big. But, I'll get back to this in a bit.

So I call the insurance company, they set up to get the car to have it looked at by comming and towing it, and off to Enterprise I go. They had a yellow 5th gen on the lot so I got it, V6 auto, cloth interior. This is the first 5thgen I've actually driven for fear of making the mistake and trading an upsidedown car. For a V6 I was very impressed! It's definately nice and alot faster than I expected an auto to be.

That's where the little good news ends. We get a call from the adjuster (sp) and without even looking at the car they are calling for a "total loss" because it has 136K miles! The car rolls 10 feet with what I see as minor damage and they are talking about totalling the car out. What the hell? They said they will go look at it Friday and let me know by Monday. I'm a little miffed because I could have taken it to my body shop for an estimate, now it's sitting in a salvage yard awaiting an adjustor to decide it's fate. If they total it my stereo/speakers/cam/valvesprings/pushrods/ported oil pump etc are all going to be gone as they said it will just stay at the yard it's at. I'll get maybe 3/4 of what I owe and be stuck with the rest (no GAP) of the loan and loose a ton of stuff I won't have time nor access to remove.

Freaking 10 feet and a tree :angry:.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I'd make sure to set up something to go to the yard to get "some stuff" out of it. Yank your system. They'll never notice it. You could go as far as putting the stock head unit back in , but I wouldn't sweat the reinstall on the speakers. It does suck how fast they are to total some cars these days.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Holy crap!! I would not suspect the insurance company would have totaled it. Somebody will make a mint parting it out I would guess.

How much to keep your car?

·
5,668 Posts
aw man sorry to hear that. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I'd tell them forget the claim then. Get your car back and pay to have that damage fixed yourself. Sucks, but that's what it is if you don't want to lose it. And carry a brick in the trunk from now on and put it in front of the tire or something when you park.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
It's YOUR CAR. If they decide to "total it" to basically deny your claim, tell them to get bent and take it back. Don't sign any paperwork.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
agreed! see if you can cancel the claim. that is BS

·
Registered
746 Posts
The insurance company isnt going to total the car because they feel like it, they need to provide you with the estimate showing the damages, and also the percentage of the value they are using to "determine it a total loss". Don't jump to conclusions just yet, also you have the right to contest it if you dont agree. There could be more damage then what you see there, I'm not defending the insurance company, but my Dad was an material damage supervisor for Erie for almost 28 years. Let them do their job first, see what they have to say, maybe they just heard "hit a tree" and are jumping to conclusions....Just my opinion.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Just a follow up, I called my Dad and asked him. He said first off if you have any aftermarket "bolt ons", not motor now, they have to give you something, or you have the right to take that-re stereo,speakers,etc out of the vehicle. As for the motor, he said if you really pushed you may get something, chances are they wont give you anything because it falls under "maintenence". He said if you disagree with them on there estimate or detrmination, you will need to hire an independant appraiser to appraise it, at that point the insurance compeny should also hire an independant, then those two independants will hash it out keeping you and the insurance company "out of it". Hope this helps...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Do you have any pictures? It will give me a better idea of what all is damaged. I work at a paint and body shop and write estimates. Is it drivable? Also if your worried of them totaling it, I would pull it out of the tow yard? Take it home and have the adjuster come to your house to adjust it. So if they do total it you can have time to pull your aftermarket parts off. They will most likely say they will not pay you for the aftermarket parts if they total it. That's what I was told one time on one my totaled vehicles.
Of what you described for damage it may not be that bad.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. I was able to go to the yard and at least pull the amps, they wouldn't let me get stereo. Didn't really matter because the adjustor called and said it was repairable (I already knew that) a couple hours afterwards. He still doesn't know why they took it to the salvage yard because the damage was minimal nor does he know why they said anything about totalling it. Got it towed back to my shop and he'll be getting to work on it Monday. So it's all good. I'm a little pissed that at the salvage yard, they carried it all over the place on a **** forklift bouncing it around like it was a scrap car. I'm definately going to have my local shop check the bottom for any possible damage from it being bounced on the fork lift before I accept it back. I'm still thinking they were hoping to total it to sell it to recoupe the loss. They would have given me about 8500 (before negotiations) and around here wrecked ones sell for about 9K. But when they realized the damage was not what they thought they did what they should have at first and did an appraisal and sent it to a shop rather than a salvage yard.

They didn't give me an option to send an adjustor out. Soon as I called them they arranged pickup which I thought odd because the last couple of times they sent the adjustor to the house. Told them it was minimal and driveable and they said they wanted to pick it up. Dunno, anyway here's the damage in question BTW that cause all this mess.

Like I said minimal, headlight still works and is still sealed despite that broken piece.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Glad it's all working out but jeez what a hassle! Good luck with everything!

Bill

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Glad u got ur baby back and they aren't totaling it. What a mess with the salvage yard tho! Those guys don't give a crap at all. Half the time they accidentally put the forks thru doors and stuff, so definitely check ur car really good all over. I hope u get that purty gto back to tip top shape soon.

·
5,668 Posts
Glad to see you got it back. Hopefully nothing was damaged.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad it all ended up ok. However, after that I would DEFINATELY be switching insurance companies after the car is repaired. If they want to scrap a 10K car with only 3K damage and send it to a scrap yard without even looking at it, is just plain crazy. Never heard of anything like that... Switch insurance companies before you get a door ding, they may crush it for that...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts