Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm new on here and new to the fifth generation camaros.But someone told me that you can make a SS camaro sound like it has a cam by doing something to the computer or a chip or something.i know it sounds ridiculous but is it true?

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
No it doesn't sound ridiculous at all! This isn't exactly my area of expertise but I believe you're referring to getting your car tuned with a ghost cam. I'm sure some of the guys will be able to give you more information on this subject...because when I had my V6 tuned I opted to skip the ghost cam...since that kinda sound was not what I was after.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Guys I'm new on here and new to the fifth generation camaros.But someone told me that you can make a SS camaro sound like it has a cam by doing something to the computer or a chip or something.i know it sounds ridiculous but is it true?
not on the 6.2.. it only has one cam.. :5go:

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
THe safest way would be to change the cam and have it properly tuned for it. Faking it with a mistune is not the wisest way to go.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Guys, what about lifters? Also, the Mustang guys used to modify the IAC gasket on the intake manifold. That would give the engine a lope. However, I don't think that would be a good idea on engines these days...if it could even be done.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Guys, what about lifters? Also, the Mustang guys used to modify the IAC gasket on the intake manifold. That would give the engine a lope. However, I don't think that would be a good idea on engines these days...if it could even be done.
imo. a lifter is just a lifter on our engines.. the cam profile would have to be more aggresive to lift the valve more.. etc.. those 5.0 guys can tune their cars that way because it has multiple cams.. but imo is really dumb if you dont have performance cam.. why want to sound like it??? lol...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
imo. a lifter is just a lifter on our engines.. the cam profile would have to be more aggresive to lift the valve more.. etc.. those 5.0 guys can tune their cars that way because it has multiple cams.. but imo is really dumb if you dont have performance cam.. why want to sound like it??? lol...
No, I'm talking about the 5.0 OHV engines that were used up to 95...not the DOHC 5.0 engines from 2011. Those older ones were single cam engines. Adjusting the amount of air the IAC can let in would actually make it sound cammy. But you are right, it makes no sense to merely sound cammy if there isn't an aftermarket cam in it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
No, I'm talking about the 5.0 OHV engines that were used up to 95...not the DOHC 5.0 engines from 2011. Those older ones were single cam engines. Adjusting the amount of air the IAC can let in would actually make it sound cammy. But you are right, it makes no sense to merely sound cammy if there isn't an aftermarket cam in it.
oh ok.. i know the new 5.0 can be tuned to "sound" cammed.. :confused:

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Supposedly it can be done, but it won't sound near what a real cam would...

Ghost Cam Lope Tune

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
...and weren't running properly.
I'd skip it.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts