Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched from a 2012 2LT to a 2013, and the HUD in the new car is brighter - which tends to be too bright at night. On the '12 the dimmest setting was very faint, and I could see great in bright daylight when it was set all the way up. It makes me think that there should be some sort of calibration you can make to the unit itself, which would control the brightness range of the dimmer in the cockpit.

Does anybody know if you can do this?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I noticed that the HUD responds to the light sensor on the front of the dash.

I'll drive around in the daytime with running lights on, but when I go into my neighborhood and the leaves on the trees block the sunlight the HUD auto dims along with it.

Is yours doing that? Perhaps faulty light sensor on your dash?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your feedback everyone.
ichris: yes, the lowest brightness setting is much higher in my 2013 than it was in my 2012.

skuttduck: my dash lights, etc dim and brighten in response to changes in ambient light, so I don't THINK that's the problem.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a 2013 2LT and it has a dimmer switch just to the right of the steering wheel on the dash. You can even turn it all the way off. You can move it around, adjust what information you want it to display and make it super bright too. There are about 10 different brightness settings from super bright to very dim. Your switch must be defective.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I have a 2013 2LT and it has a dimmer switch just to the right of the steering wheel on the dash. You can even turn it all the way off. You can move it around, adjust what information you want it to display and make it super bright too. There are about 10 different brightness settings from super bright to very dim. Your switch must be defective.
Yep, same on my 2012 SS ... my HUD did go out completely at about 2000 miles, they thought it was the switch, but it wasn't it was the HUD unit itself

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your switch must be defective.
Actually, the dimmer is working, its just not getting dim enough. I'm thinking about using a small square of neutral density lighting gel to cut down on the overall brightness of the display. I'll let you all know how that works.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I know how to fix it. On a bright sunny day, go out and stare at the sun for about 10 to 15 minutes. You will damage a few hundred rods and cones in both eyes and that night, when you drive your car, your heads up display will be just right. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Actually, the dimmer is working, its just not getting dim enough. I'm thinking about using a small square of neutral density lighting gel to cut down on the overall brightness of the display. I'll let you all know how that works.
Does your switch turn the HUD completely off? It should

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm thinking the light sensor on the dash could be doing this. The HUD will be super bright during the day if it is in the sun. When I drive under trees it auto dims. If for some reason the light sensor is not working properly and the HUD is still on daytime mode that might do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does your switch turn the HUD completely off? It should
Yes, it turns all the way off. Also, I've started noticing some shifts in the brightness - not sure if this is in response to ambient light - or if its starting to short.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My HUD keeps fading in and out. Does that sound like the unit is bad? Seems to be pretty common on the 13's. The dealer said he can't do anything if he doesn't witness it. I took video of it today when it was happening.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
my 2012 HUD just went blank when it went bad at about 2000 miles

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just switched from a 2012 2LT to a 2013, and the HUD in the new car is brighter - which tends to be too bright at night. On the '12 the dimmest setting was very faint, and I could see great in bright daylight when it was set all the way up. It makes me think that there should be some sort of calibration you can make to the unit itself, which would control the brightness range of the dimmer in the cockpit.

Does anybody know if you can do this?

sworl,

Your HUD is a fantastic device and I suggest you find a setting that fits in between both day and night time driving. If it's too bright in the evening time you can turn down the knob to a lower setting but then at day time you wouldn't be able to see anything!

On my Camaro 2013/2LT-RS I can practically trun mine off at it's lowest setting so that's what I did in the above paragraph.

Mail Clerk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts