Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
There a lot of avid Chevy folks here at the Air Force Academy and around the Colorado Springs area - and I spoke with quite a few Corvette owners that have the HUD display and their reaction to it? ..."Always turned off"

Alot view it as more of a distraction then a helpful tool. I think it looks cool maybe to show off - but, if I use the speed warning and a quick glance isn't even bothersome...

I think that accidents are actually more prone to occur with the HUD vs a car without. Why? Because when you are looking at something constantly in front of you - your eyes do wander more than needed.

Still kinda cool.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I waited for HUD, on the freeways that I drive daily even a quick glance down can cause problems. There are so many swings in speed from 20 - 80 it is really tough to even look at the speedometer. I can't wait to not have to look down at all. Maybe my brakes will last longer.

And Eric was kind enough to let me see it live the last time I was at the dealership and all I can say is I can't wait!

Cheers,
Teresa

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
The HUD is cool! With the comfortable driving combination of the steering wheel position and seat position, I find that the tachometer and speedometer are not the easiest to read. It projects out past the hood of the car. You do not have to "look" anywhere to read the display. The HUD comes with a warning not to use it as a positioning aid (I guess someone may try to judge parking the car based on where the HUD is being projected.) You can adjust the brightness, vertical position, and display one three different information packets. Each packet has its benefits. I prefer the packet that displays Speed, compass reading and temp. The display packet that includes the tachometer is pretty cool too though.

Every time the song changes on the radio, every thing shrinks and the title of the song briefly displays. I have not seen it, but I believe that when you get a call on bluetooth or OnStar, it displays who is calling. If you are utilizing the turn by turn directions from OnStar, those are displayed on the HUD as well. The best though is when the car is turned on, the HUD goes through a "wake up" that is a neat visualization that manifests into the Chevy Bow tie.

I do not find it a distraction at all. Before I test drove the car, I did not know the car came with that option, it was an added bonus. When I get a chance, I will try to post pictures.

Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Man, it looks like it would be cool but not sure if I would want to re-do the whole dash to upgrade it.
We put a HUD in my Dad's 2002 vette without any problems. I'd cut my camaro's dash if someone makes a kit. I just don't know if the 2010's are plumbed with the proper wiring / software to make it work. I won't hack up my wiring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pictures of the HUD

I tried to take a few pictures of the HUD in my Camaro. They are not perfect, but it helps to illustrate how cool it is, or at least how cool I think it is. The first three pictures show a few displays of the HUD, including how it displays the song title when the song changes.

The last picture is of the mood lighting on the door panels. Both door panels have a thin blue light that outline the trim on the door. I think it is pretty cool and it is something that I did not notice until the 3rd day I had the car (it is only day 4 now). Another cool thing I found out today is how amazingly quickly it will reach cruising speed, well maybe a little faster than cruising speed. While I was taking a friend for a quick ride to show him how awesome this car is, the onramp to the freeway provided a great opportunity to demonstrate pure acceleration.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
The HUD in my Z stays on all the time. I don't find it distracting at all. The only downside for me is I tend to forget just how awesome the gauge cluster on my C6 Z really is. :) I wish I had it in the Camaro. At least now I know what the blank plastic area on the lower right of the steering wheel was a placeholder for!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts