Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

What does a Hurst shifter option give you? From what I gather, it's nothing more than a shorter shifter. I understand that (with a little more shifting effort) will give you slightly faster shifting. Is it uncomfortable? Do I really have to reach noticably farther to shift gears? I'll never be on a track with this car, and I'm really looking for a little more comfort in driving than I am worried about being able to get into the next gear in a few less nano-seconds.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just for reference heres a picture. This is from the new Shelby, I would imagine the new 'maro will have something similar for the Hurst Option. IMO it gives the car a very iconic feel, which is what this car is all about

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys for the information. Are you going for that option?

One comment on the shifting effort; When they say it's a short shifter, does that mean that the actual height of the shift lever is reduced and lower than the stock height? If so, I would think that it would take more shifting effort to change gears as a shift lever is a lever. From a physics standpoint: The longer the lever, the less effort it takes to move, but the more time it takes to move. The shorter the lever, the faster it will move, but will take more force.

I would think that the Hurst is designed as a performance feature to allow you to shift with more effort, but be able to get into the next gear with less time. I'm not going to race this thing. It will be more of a cruiser for me. I may keep away from this option, and move into it at a later date if I don't like the stock shifter. This will take some consideration before I move on it.

Thanks again.

Pete

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's a short THROW shifter. Basically, the distance between gears will be a shorter motion. Thus the lessened shifting effort.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
i ordered one...it's worth it IMO. you could always wait and see how you like the stock shifter and install one later if you want...probably be cheaper and not too hard to install.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I imagine it will be similar to the one in the mustang pictured above maybe with some camaro specific etching. The mechanics lie within the area covered by the boot. Some kits shorten the control rod itself, some don't. I hear this one reduces throw by 40% which probably means the leaver has been shortened in addition to the actual mechanics that attach directly to the tranny. I LOVE short throws, but the only way to really appreciate them is to drive the stock lever first, then do the reduction. It's night and day as far as speed and positive engagement are concerned. Definitely beneficial to performance, never mind the user "interpreted" gains.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Guys for the information. Are you going for that option?

One comment on the shifting effort; When they say it's a short shifter, does that mean that the actual height of the shift lever is reduced and lower than the stock height? If so, I would think that it would take more shifting effort to change gears as a shift lever is a lever. From a physics standpoint: The longer the lever, the less effort it takes to move, but the more time it takes to move. The shorter the lever, the faster it will move, but will take more force.

I would think that the Hurst is designed as a performance feature to allow you to shift with more effort, but be able to get into the next gear with less time. I'm not going to race this thing. It will be more of a cruiser for me. I may keep away from this option, and move into it at a later date if I don't like the stock shifter. This will take some consideration before I move on it.

Thanks again.

Pete
To answer your question, I'll say this. With a stock shifter cruising, you'll have to have your hand on the ball to get the motion needed to switch gears. With a short throw cruising, you will be able to rest your hand on the base of the shift plate, tip of your index finger curled around the base of the lever and actuate/successfully pull shifter back into gear with little more than a finger twitch, to push forward, you simply tap forward with the arch between your index and thumb. EACH, require minimal movement. When you want to go fast quick, same physical movement as a standard throw shift, with 40% less distance to travel, = 40% quicker gear changes = faster times to get to where you are going.
And as stated above, I'm going for the factory option, cuz in the long run, if the car ever becomes a collectible, it will be worth more with rare factory optioned equipment.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
So how is a Hurst shifter a rare option already? I'll tell you what will be rare... And that's the wheel options. I don't think anyone's going to be dropping $5K for wheels/tire options near as often as they will the much cheaper Hurst shifter option.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So how is a Hurst shifter a rare option already? I'll tell you what will be rare... And that's the wheel options. I don't think anyone's going to be dropping $5K for wheels/tire options near as often as they will the much cheaper Hurst shifter option.
Its not rare yet. The $5K wheel option is ridiculous.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Here it is: (courtesy of Chris Frezza of camaroz28.com)

Best regardSS,

Elie
thanks for posting that....and wow, that's short.;) I assume the boot will cover most, if not all of it.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
FWIW, the Hurst shifters that came in my 00 SS and 01 Z28 were unimpressive. I promptly swapped them out for a Pro 5.0. The way the shifters mount in the 5th gen is different than the 4th gens, but I'll bet aftermarket will have better setups.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks

I would like to thank everyone that posted replies to my question. Now that I have some great feedback, I think I'll opt for the Hurst shifter.

This is a great place. Wish I had more time to spend here.

See ya,

Pete

·
Registered
13 Posts
I decided to go with it on mine. I am not too concerned about it being rare or not, I just think it will be more fun to drive with the short throw.

·
Registered
256 Posts
is this a solid fact that we get a white ball shifter ball? if so, thats rad

1 - 20 of 41 Posts