Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a regular on Motortrend.com and they have a comparison for the 2010 Mustang GT, The camaro ss and the Challenger R/T. Great article by the way. They also posted an article from 2002 comparing the 02 SS vs the 02 Cobra. Anyway, I was talking with Mustang fans and saying that when the Camaro SS comes out it should out handle the 2010 mustang in all the handling tests. well, apparently I was wrong. Lateral G's for the SS were .92 and the mustang was .95 with a live rear axle compared to IRS. I guess the extra weight over about 400 lbs. made the difference. Still the camaro beat it in all other performance catagories but this surprised me.

Link to article here.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0903_2010_chevrolet_camaro_ss_vs_2009_dodge_challenger_rt_vs_2010_ford_mustang_gt/index.html

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing is that the mustang had the track pack. I tried to look up on the mustang website for a price on that package but like all ford products, it wasnt working. I think the track pack puts the mustang right at base SS camaro range maybe alittle more so camaro is still the bargain. A lot more power and similar handling.

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
Its no biggie.

That's the only thing porsche has been able to hold over the vette guys for years. :D

The camaro still delivers superior performance in every other category. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was really surprised by that as well. I guess the live axle may still have some life after all.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Makes me wonder if a different set of sticky rubber tires wouldn't just change that.
Ummm...

Both both the 'Stang & the SS are running P Zeros.

:confused:

The 'Stang does have more rubber on the ground up front, however, and does have less weight to have to accelerate from side to side in the twisties -- does the SS need more front tire, maybe???

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
the track pack makes a large difference.

Yep 3.73's stiffer springs and shocks and thicker sway bars will make a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts