Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There was a post somewhere about the
3.6 DI intake and exhaust which added 31hp /w out a tune.

What exactly does that mean? Is this something extra? Does it straight up come with the Base? Does this mean there are actualy 331 hp for the V6 instead of 300hp and if so why weren't those the figures on the specs sheet? and finally what is a 3.6 DI intake?

Sorry if i come across as not knowing a whole lot about this kinda stuff but im curious to know what it is. Thx

:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
There was a post somewhere about the
3.6 DI intake and exhaust which added 31whp /w out a tune.

What exactly does that mean? Is this something extra? Does it straight up come with the Base? Does this mean there are actualy 331 hp for the V6 instead of 300hp and if so why weren't those the figures on the specs sheet? and finally what is a 3.6 DI intake?

Sorry if i come across as not knowing a whole lot about this kinda stuff but im curious to know what it is. Thx

:confused:
I'm not sure about where the +31whp came from, but the DIV6 Camaros will have 300 hp. You can expect some decent gains with a freer breathing CAI and exhaust coupled with a good tune.

·
Registered
82 Posts
the engineers wouldn't leave 30hp on the table. the di 3.6 has an xpipe twin exhaust, can't get much better than that, the only question is how much of the engine will you hear through the system...hopefully, it will have some bark to it and not be too muffled. i have the port injected version of the 3.6 in my sts and i can only hear the motor if i wind it up to 6k or so, but it's a caddy..different market.

as far as changing the intake or exhaust, that's not a good idea..the systems are engineered for full rpm range use and by changing out the tuned systems that came with the vehicle will simply take from peter to pay paul...you might make more power on top, but you will lose some grunt down on the bottom, where you spend most of your time driving.

jackg
06 sts6

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Jack, with all due respect I'm more than aware of what works/ doesn't work and the reasons why. I've always thought out engine mods with careful consideration to current vs. modded power-band and efficiency. Todays cars are designed for minimum emissions, durability, reliability and mannerism (driveability). It is certainly possible to increase the volumetric efficiency of any motor if you break down all the components into sub-systems. Due to cost effective manufacturing, there will be cuts in engineering in all models.

The different length runners of an intake manifold, higher velocity heads, split duration cams, freer breathing headers for a greater scavange effect, properly sized exhaust piping (too big is always bad) and optimized fuel/timing maps can all contribute to more power while actually increasing the engine's efficiency.

At this time it would be impossible to name specific components for the DI V6 that will boost power without "borrowing from Peter to pay Paul". There will be more options as time goes on, but the end result is the same....if you want to have a stronger than stock engine, carefully selected components can supplement today's powerplants with few if any negative effects.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The different length runners of an intake manifold, higher velocity heads, split duration cams, freer breathing headers for a greater scavange effect, properly sized exhaust piping (too big is always bad) and optimized fuel/timing maps can all contribute to more power while actually increasing the engine's efficiency.
Now you know how I got 32 mpg/city out of an '84 Camaro :)

:roxor: :roxor: :D :roxor: :roxor:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Now you know how I got 32 mpg/city out of an '84 Camaro :)

:roxor: :roxor: :D :roxor: :roxor:
How did you manage that, drive around at 20mph?.........

The '87 IROC I had with the 5.7 could only muster 18 mpg MAX on the highway. It averaged around 14mpg city/highway

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
as far as changing the intake or exhaust, that's not a good idea..the systems are engineered for full rpm range use and by changing out the tuned systems that came with the vehicle will simply take from peter to pay paul...you might make more power on top, but you will lose some grunt down on the bottom, where you spend most of your time driving.

jackg
06 sts6
LOL OMG What? You serious? :confused: Nevermind...:BangHead:

·
Banned
4,153 Posts

The '87 IROC I had with the 5.7 could only muster 18 mpg MAX on the highway. It averaged around 14mpg city/highway
I had an 86 IROC with the TPI 5.0 and I got 23-25 mpg regularly in mixed driving.

·
Registered
275 Posts

I removed all the emissions equipment, installed more modest jets in my carburetor, changed the oil every three months, cleaned the air filter every month, replaced the engine driven fan with high efficiency duel electric fans, and avoided red lights.

My brother's '86 IROC gets 26 mpg on the highway, and his is fairly tricked out. As for your question regarding whether I meandered "around at 20mph", I drove like a maniac about 50% of the time. If I wanted to drive around at 20mph all the time, I would've spared myself the trouble and bought a mustang.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Guess I had a lemon :rolleyes:, & should have put more than 20,200 miles on it in 18 years.......................maybe it wasn't broke in yet :lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Guess I had a lemon :rolleyes:, & should have put more than 20,200 miles on it in 18 years.......................maybe it wasn't broke in yet :lol:
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say you had a lemon, especially if it was an IROC. :)

I know a few people who bought a Prius that only get around 30 mpg, which is pretty sad when you consider that they only bought that car for its fuel efficiency. Cars, especially used cars, have many variables that affect performance and efficiency. There are so many moving parts, so many potential points of failure, that any number of minor flaws can accumulate very easily. My Camaro got great fuel economy, but I went through about 3 windshield wiper motors in the time I owned it. They just kept breaking!

Anyway, sorry for rambling AGAIN :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was just kidding about the lemon thing, I also should have added that mine was ordered with an optional 3.45 rear gear. Standard was a 3.27 for the Borg-Warner High performance axles.

·
8,984 Posts
LOL OMG What? You serious? :confused: Nevermind...:BangHead:
Holy crap Devryn, we agreed on something else.:lol:

He must have been a Ford Engineer so scared, so he posted some lame stuff like that on here.:screwy:

Seriously?:lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
the first thing you want to do when considering altering your engine or any system on a car is to get some cold hard facts on the components that you are considering for your mods. i always recommend getting power/torque graphs for engine mods because this will help you to see what you will give up on the bottom end and what you will make on the top.

there are things that you can do to help the overall volumetric effeciency of an engine across the complete rpm range: increased compression ratio, blueprinting and balancing the internals of the engine, port matching and port polishing; but these things are extremely expensive. you're not gonna just throw on a kn filter and a different exhaust and make more power across the board, it just doesn't happen. that's why you want the graphs, give me the facts, not marketing hype.

again, i'm not saying that you can't make more power on any given engine, but in most cases the stuff off the shelf, except for remapping of the ecm, will just move the power around in the rpm band.

as far as the ecm remaps goes, one has to consider when making those changes what will happen when it's time to go for the tailpipe emmissions test? this is a major concern for alot of owners.

one last point, if you do find a system, such as headers, that do make more power over the entire rpm range, what will it cost for each hp? is it worth the cost? i'm not saying don't modify, just understand what the ramifications are when these changes are made. i myself and lots of other folks have tried something as simple as a low restriction air intake system and found that the lower band of the engine was down on power and ended up going back to the stock airbox.

jackg
06 sts6

·
Registered
82 Posts
i need to clarify some things that i have written regarding mods. my statements are for current generation vehicles with complex, intricate fuel systems with emmissions controls built into the fuel management systems to ensure that the engine meets all epa requirments for at least 50k miles.

i also assume that people live in an area that requires yearly or every other year, tailpipe emmissions testing. any change made to the engine could impact the ability of the engine to pass any emmissions test that your state might have or future tests that might be legislated.

it goes without saying that any engine can be modified to make more power; i'm concerned with an engine in a car that will not be raced and will be driven on the street on a daily basis and will need to pass til pipe emmissions on a regular basis.

these concerns are the starting point, for me, when i might consider any alterations to an engine.

jackg
06 sts6

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
i need to clarify some things that i have written regarding mods. my statements are for current generation vehicles with complex, intricate fuel systems with emmissions controls built into the fuel management systems to ensure that the engine meets all epa requirments for at least 50k miles.

i also assume that people live in an area that requires yearly or every other year, tailpipe emmissions testing. any change made to the engine could impact the ability of the engine to pass any emmissions test that your state might have or future tests that might be legislated.

it goes without saying that any engine can be modified to make more power; i'm concerned with an engine in a car that will not be raced and will be driven on the street on a daily basis and will need to pass til pipe emmissions on a regular basis.

these concerns are the starting point, for me, when i might consider any alterations to an engine.

jackg
06 sts6
Everything you say is 100% completely wrong. There is not a HP/TQ tradeoff on modern cars. If you increase HP, you don't DECREASE torque. I don't know where you heard your information, but you've obviously never looked at any real numbers. FAST intakes increase BOTH in an LS engine. Free flow air intakes can, headers with the right exaust setup will increase BOTH. You don't see people on LS1Tech saying they have 480 HP and 150 TQ from their mods. Come on man...Seriously.

·
8,984 Posts
This is the funniest thing I have heard in awhile?!

I don't get AS mad anymore, I just laugh at the sheer lack of knowledge.

".....at no point in your rambling have you made any sense....."

Reactions: Devryn

·
8,984 Posts
We should make a rule that the first 100 post that a new member makes MUST make sense and not sound like demential ramblings.....

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
You know im probably speaking for myself here but I find it kind of funny that a certain name hasnt been posting through these forums for a while but soon as it does come back around it picks on a Newbie ! Kind of like I once was and had to listen to. Oh well

There are never stupid questions when it comes to these boards. People come here to share info and hope for answers ! No we dont always make sense at times but thats when others try and figure out what they are asking and hope to help out however we can. Sometimes it isnt that easy to get out something the correct way.

I guess the 33 days straight of constant 100+ temps are getting to some people out there.......Chill :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts