Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a 1976 Camaro
i want to put a crate engine in it
what should i put
i dont want the biggest baddest one possible but i also want one that
not every one would think of putting into something like that
i have been looking for a 5.7L tundra engine but the 2010 camaro is going to have a 6.2
are there crate engines that have the same specs as those
im doing this over a quite long period of time
so i can save the money i have and wait
does anyone have an idea of what i should do?
and for the 2010 camaro what is the difference besides AFM in the two motors?

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
Just like Richard Simmons. Be a pioneer. That's what he did.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
to be different
LOL just by building this year camaro you are already being different, not a popular body style (IMO). build it clean build it simple. put an 305 in and let it keep the AC and that alone would let you be different and not to far off from stock. most people go the route of big bad motor and no AC. But puting the Tundra motor in is just asking for trouble, american car (standard) japoneese (metric) and a ton of custom made parts like drive shaft, motor mounts, cross member, and finding a place to put the computer if you go with a newer model engine. to much of a headach, IMO

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
If you want to be different find a Buick GN drivetrain to swap in.
^^^^ that would be cool.

I'd also consider swapping in an LS motor and keeping all the computer and fuel injection stuff.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Put a 5.3L truck motor out of a 99-present GM truck. you can pick them up CHEAP, $500 or less. it will have 300+ hp depending on what you want to do with it and it will get good gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
My head hurts.

You will change your mind a million times before you actually do anything.
You will then tell us how it sucks and you should have built a Supra because GM is crap.
You will come up with some other silly idea and ask another stupid question.

If you want to do something different, get a 5.3 truck motor like was mentioned because they are cheap and plentiful. You want something easier, just get find a cheap 350, some heads, intake, carb and nice cam. It won't be different, but you'll at least learn about how to put a car together and not ask stupid questions.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
My head hurts.

You will change your mind a million times before you actually do anything.
You will then tell us how it sucks and you should have built a Supra because GM is crap.
You will come up with some other silly idea and ask another stupid question.

If you want to do something different, get a 5.3 truck motor like was mentioned because they are cheap and plentiful. You want something easier, just get find a cheap 350, some heads, intake, carb and nice cam. It won't be different, but you'll at least learn about how to put a car together and not ask stupid questions.
:rotflmao:
or how about...you go ahead and put a tundra motor in it and go ask your stupid questions on a toyota board.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i dunno what i want to do
if i can find a wrecked toyota tundra with the 5.7 ill do that
but if i cant
i already have a small block 350 crate in it
but its about 20 years old
but my god it works perfectly still
the only problem we had with it was spark plug wires which were chewed on by mice
but that engine is bullet proof foot to the floor all the time and it never has had a problem
the tranny is amazing as well 500 horse and the fluid is still pink/red depends on lighting.
but i might supercharger that with an edelbrock supercharger or a weind supercharger
i am not sure what to do
i want it to be a fun stop light to stop light car which i know the s/c will do that just fine
i know how to put the car together second of all...
Deamonspeed
and third the 5.3 does make power the way i want it
so i would have to switch the cam
and program the computer or juts put a carb on it...
i have seen it making 460 horse with headers, new heads, and i think a carb on it
i might also do that
that would also be fun
i just want the down low to mid range power
i dont want a supra(unless i could sell it for how much i bought it for)
and its not a stupid question
im just getting opinions
Deamonspeed aslo why do u hate toyota so much?
they are second in the world for sales and such
and they have freaking amazing quality

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
well i dunno what i want to do
if i can find a wrecked toyota tundra with the 5.7 ill do that
but if i cant
i already have a small block 350 crate in it
but its about 20 years old
but my god it works perfectly still
the only problem we had with it was spark plug wires which were chewed on by mice
but that engine is bullet proof foot to the floor all the time and it never has had a problem
the tranny is amazing as well 500 horse and the fluid is still pink/red depends on lighting.
but i might supercharger that with an edelbrock supercharger or a weind supercharger
i am not sure what to do
i want it to be a fun stop light to stop light car which i know the s/c will do that just fine
i know how to put the car together second of all...
Deamonspeed
and third the 5.3 does make power the way i want it
so i would have to switch the cam
and program the computer or juts put a carb on it...
i have seen it making 460 horse with headers, new heads, and i think a carb on it
i might also do that
that would also be fun
i just want the down low to mid range power
i dont want a supra(unless i could sell it for how much i bought it for)
and its not a stupid question
im just getting opinions
Deamonspeed aslo why do u hate toyota so much?
they are second in the world for sales and such
and they have freaking amazing quality

Because Toyota sucks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
if you REALLY have a 500hp 350 in there already, that works perfectly...why the hell would you even consider swapping in a toyota motor? Save your money...put it towards your psychotherapy.

the whole point in building something different, is to build something cool (or at least fast)...something people will see and say "wow, that's friggin cool"...not "UGH...why?"

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it makes 375 right now with sc if i get one 550 about
and Toyota doesn't suck....
and the Colorado is getting the 5.3 now

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I never said I hated Toyota. You are always commenting about how much better other cars are than GM/Camaro. You mentioned a Toyota engine, so I assumed you were on a "Toyota is the best" nutswing.

These types of questions are just so obscure and "seat of your pants" that we know nothing will come from them. When I was in high school, I had all sorts of "great" (immature) ideas too, but I didn't let everyone on a message board know about them. One day, you too will have more common sense and rationale.

Actually, I remember I asked a question on CamaroZ28.com when I was 16 before I bought my first Camaro. I asked if you could make the "blisters" on the IROC hoods functional. Why in the world would I ask such a stupid question? Because I was a dreaming kid who didn't know WTF I was talking about. Thankfully, there were "jerks" who told me to STFU and do some research.

Good luck with your Camundra.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts