Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STS is a turbo company that makes rear mount turbos. Its pretty cool, the turbo is mounted at the rear of the car and basically replaces the mufflers for a twin turbo set up. You might think that you lose boost this way having to go all the way up from the rear, and they say you do lose about 1 psi but the air is so cold from under the car temps that it makes up the difference. The main advantage is that I live in California and all their kits are FI. Also its really easy to install compared to other turbo system. Check it out, Im going to email them and see if they are going to make plans to make a kit, I bet they're considering it. Theres been real good numbers on it too.

Pontiac GTO 6.0L
Performance Results

Boost: 5 psi

Rear Wheel Horsepower: 472
Rear Wheel Torque: 473

Boost: 7 psi

Rear Wheel Horsepower: 518
Rear Wheel Torque: 508

Corvette 6.0L

Boost: 5 psi
Rear Wheel Horsepower: 501
Rear Wheel Torque: 518

Boost: 7 psi
Rear Wheel Horsepower: 537
Rear Wheel Torque: 558

Boost: 10 psi
Rear Wheel Horsepower: 602
Rear Wheel Torque: 609

Heres a video. Tell me that would not be sweet seeing a bolt up TT smog legal kit when the camaro comes out being able to do stuff like this.

C6 Corvette Twin Turbo from Fidanza and STS compil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Depending on the ground clearance, mainly how the bottom of the car is designed, I'm betting this is a strong possibility.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those are wild setups. I'd rather have mine under the hood personally :D
I agree. The thought of having that thing hanging so low to the ground makes me nervous. I definitely respect the power those STS systems make though!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah under the hood is conventional, but this set up looks cool because:

A. Its the only TT set up that I know of that so far is smog legal.

B. It looks easier than a typical TT system. I mean you basically take off the exhaust after the cat I believe and then modify the intake. Uses stock exhaust manifolds even.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
All good till someone goes under it with a hacksaw and has two new turbos in less than 5 minutes.
If someone can actually fit underneath a 5th gen without jacking it up or anything..they deserve the **** things.

My S-10 (stock) sits pretty high off the ground..and I can't even fit underneath the thing.

Plus..pretty suspicious if you walk by and see someone laying underneath a car with a hacksaw in the middle of a parking lot.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They do that all the time here. Catalytic converters have precious metals in them and are worth money. They take them off toyota trucks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If someone can actually fit underneath a 5th gen without jacking it up or anything..they deserve the **** things.

My S-10 (stock) sits pretty high off the ground..and I can't even fit underneath the thing.

Plus..pretty suspicious if you walk by and see someone laying underneath a car with a hacksaw in the middle of a parking lot.
I wasn't being all that serious. Chances are slim.

But it does happen. Are you fat? Rear ends are alot easier to get under than front ends. My neon was dropped and I could get under the rear end no problem at all. The front end is a completely different story, jacks were required to simply tighten the intercooler hoses.

Looking at the video of the Vette, if the turbo's were placed in the same spot on the camaro...yeah...I could get those out pretty fast.

Kids these days....

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I have no doubt there will be an STS kit for it hell there will probably be one for the G8 before the Camaro comes out.

As far as stealing them though I never really thought about it, but 2 mins and a sawzall and I'd have 2 turbos. ****, that is a scary thought. Good thing most common crooks don't know much about rear mount turbos. Then again how many of them do you see around?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have no doubt there will be an STS kit for it hell there will probably be one for the G8 before the Camaro comes out.

As far as stealing them though I never really thought about it, but 2 mins and a sawzall and I'd have 2 turbos. ****, that is a scary thought. Good thing most common crooks don't know much about rear mount turbos. Then again how many of them do you see around?
Actually, the time is more like 30-45 seconds. We had a catalytic converter thief hit the company parking lot. He was in and out so fast, we just figured he made a wrong turn and was using our lot to turn around in. One of the office ladies was on the receiving end of the converter thieves. But yeah, a sawzall with a newer blade, and it is like cutting butter (it is hollow pipe, after all).

·
Registered
199 Posts
dont like the STS package, not for the performance but for how its setup. I personally like supercharging - the turbos really quiet the cars. I like mine loud!

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
I wasn't being all that serious. Chances are slim.

But it does happen. Are you fat? Rear ends are alot easier to get under than front ends. My neon was dropped and I could get under the rear end no problem at all. The front end is a completely different story, jacks were required to simply tighten the intercooler hoses.

Looking at the video of the Vette, if the turbo's were placed in the same spot on the camaro...yeah...I could get those out pretty fast.

Kids these days....
:rotflmao:

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I were going to boost my Camaro it wouldn't be with an STS kit. Way to many places for boost leaks and I couldn't imagine what kind of throttle response you would have, especially in comparison to a S/C. Not to mention putting turbos in a place open to the driving environment seems like a really really bad idea.

btw, I looove the sound of a turbo'd engine. It just depends on the setup and size of the turbo.

·
Registered
206 Posts
im front mount man myself,
ive gone thru a few turbo setups on camaros, always units built by me, and always in the front, i dont think i would install a rear mount on any of my cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The benefits of the rear mount system (STS) is that it is cheaper, makes good power, and easier to install than a front mount (under the hood) system. I respect that they make power, and they may be a solid option for some people. I am not one of those people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I dont know what you are talking about for sound, because that vette sounds pretty badass. Does not look like it suffers from throttle response either. ;) Check out the 2nd video where they did it on a tv show, I know it was made to show off a product, but it sounds great, doesnt lag and makes good hp. Superchargers are cool too but cetrifugals usually have crappy torque curves and the mount on top style usually requires a different hood and usually dont make that much hp. Superchargers also suck up power as you all know where turbo is practically "free" horsepower. I agree though that this system might not be as much HP as a front mount, but like I said the benefits are mostly its a SMOG LEGAL TT system and its something you could probably do in your garage, and it takes up no room in the engine bay. On the LS2 vette they make 537hp 558ft lb torque with 7 psi, wow thats a lot of torque. I think I could be happy with 500 rwhp ;) I still dont know what you mean about soung tho, the turbo replaces the mufflers and it sounds pretty effing badass. They say with the type of system you wont even need to buy headers because they wont make a difference on the car at all, that saves the hassle and cost of trying to put in long tubes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.