Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't want to call out the dealer in this thread, but check this out.

A local SoCal dealer has a number of LT and SS Camaro. I'm looking for a black 2SS/RS and drive by and spot one at this particular dealer.

2010 Black 2SS/RS Auto w/sunroof. I think to myself perfect!

Sticker on the window... 47K and some change! :eek:

Here is interesting part. It's USED w/4000 Miles on it.

Seriously?! What the hell are they thinking? They have 3 others that are used that the manager bought out of state all asking 42K + a 5K markup on a used car.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
that's nuts. obviously you'll want to find a different dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Dude I'd post the dealer...the owner is a CRIMINAL.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Then you'll be shocked to discover there are some here who think that dealer deserves KUDOS for being a real go-getter salesman who is just trying to make some extra $$. (Hint: not me)

·
Registered
589 Posts
What if someone does pay that price? The dealer wins. He is in business to make money. Again, I would never pay the price but just dont buy the car from them and problem solved.

·
2,774 Posts
It is one reason why GM is having problems..but there are smart shoppers and smart buyers that will fined themselves..

·
2,774 Posts
Not really. This happens to quite a few new models, domestic and foreign ;)
sure it is...your supplier just came out of BK. you depend on them to make you cars to sell..so you slap a 10K surcharge just cus you can? WTF does that accomplish..sure you mighte get stupid guy with a lot of $$$ to come in there and buy it..or it sits on the lot for weeks not sold for what? exaclty..nothing till he drops the price and finally sells it after seeing Camaro after Camaro on the road..wondering where they are comming from..finding out that the dealer the enxt town over is selling at MSRP..and your charging 10K...who is winning out?

and yes it happens at a lot of dealers..both. But trying to figure out why they would screw the customer that much is beyond me.

having a customer for life returing again and again for cars, service, refferals and family..generating thousands of dollars or just screwing the one customer for 10K and walking away..you tell me what dealer might be better in the eyes of the consumer..thats why we have our do not buy list..and that is why there are a lot of dealers on it..

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
sure it is...your supplier just came out of BK. you depend on them to make you cars to sell..so you slap a 10K surcharge just cus you can? WTF does that accomplish..sure you mighte get stupid guy with a lot of $$$ to come in there and buy it..or it sits on the lot for weeks not sold for what? exaclty..nothing till he drops the price and finally sells it after seeing Camaro after Camaro on the road..wondering where they are comming from..finding out that the dealer the enxt town over is selling at MSRP..and your charging 10K...who is winning out?

and yes it happens at a lot of dealers..both. But trying to figure out why they would screw the customer that much is beyond me.

having a customer for life returing again and again for cars, service, refferals and family..generating thousands of dollars or just screwing the one customer for 10K and walking away..you tell me what dealer might be better in the eyes of the consumer..thats why we have our do not buy list..and that is why there are a lot of dealers on it..
It isn't about screwing customers. Nobody forces them to go there and pay over MSRP. The people who can afford it and want to will. That has been the same for decades. If nobody pays the price, the price will come down.

Regarding a do not buy list on a forum, I'd bet quite a bit that that has little or no impact. Considering the very small number of car buyers that frequent any automobile specific forum such as ours.

Just my $.02 :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Paid MSRP

Exactly wht it works out to when built on the GM site. Not a .01 more.

$35,895 equipped as in signature.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Economics

Good gracious....it's all about the supply and the demand. A simple law in economics 101 says the supplier can set WHATEVER price he/she wants as long as there is a DEMAND for said product.

I, for one, will not pay over MSRP for a vehicle. BUT, there are those of us that CAN and WILL pay over MSRP. It's not the dealer that's screwing them...they choose to pay the inflated price and as far as I'm concerned that's fine.

Calling it capitalism is correct but use the correct connotation, too. Capitalism works as long as there is supply and demand. The lower the supply and if there's a market for said product then, again, the seller gets to determine the price. If the product sits on the shelf/lot long enough the demand falls as does the price.

When the market is flooded next year (fingers crossed) I plan on shopping around here in Texas to find the best deal and I'll go from there. Until then, these dealers that set "premium" prices on new (much less used) Camaro's can keep them.

Semper Paratus

1 - 20 of 30 Posts