Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, maybe it's me - but I need someone to explain something to me...

Like all of you - I've been anxiously awaiting the return of Camaro & planning what car I would buy with which possible options. I've been planning on buying myself a convertible sports car anytime between this fall & next spring/summer (2009) - I've looked at a lot of other cars & was waiting to see the final production details & pricing on the Camaro. I was getting excited to know that this awesome new Camaro would be in showrooms early next year - perfect timing! Then GM drops the bomb...

During the official unveiling, GM says that the convertible won't be available until the summer of 2010... that's 2 whole years from now!! :BangHead: On top of that, you just know that the initial batch of 'verts will be selling for above MSRP - so I figure that 'verts won't really be available until 2011.

In addition, I've been reading a lot of your comments about your disappointment that features like HUD won't be initially available - and that other versions of the car ***Z28***cough - cough** are not planned for release at this time - if we're lucky we may see it for the 2012 MY.

I guess my point is this... if GM's planning on the Camaro being a huge seller, then why won't they offer things that people really want - options, Z28, convertible, etc. - in the first year of production??? No, that would make too much sense - of course, it's better for them to hold back popular features & models & make potential buyers wait a few years to get what they want... or perhaps force them to look to other manufacturers for something that's currently available.

It's not like they haven't done the design work for these various features - we've all seen these things shown in pictures, videos & promotional materials of the prototype cars.

Sorry for my rant, but I just want to know why GM would rather have me wait 2-3 years from start of production to buy a V8 convertible Camaro, rather than make it possible for me to drive it by this time next year? Congratulations GM - you designed a great car - but it looks like you lost another potential Camaro buyer by making me wait... :hello:

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Okay, maybe it's me - but I need someone to explain something to me...

Like all of you - I've been anxiously awaiting the return of Camaro & planning what car I would buy with which possible options. I've been planning on buying myself a convertible sports car anytime between this fall & next spring/summer (2009) - I've looked at a lot of other cars & was waiting to see the final production details & pricing on the Camaro. I was getting excited to know that this awesome new Camaro would be in showrooms early next year - perfect timing! Then GM drops the bomb...

During the official unveiling, GM says that the convertible won't be available until the summer of 2010... that's 2 whole years from now!! :BangHead: On top of that, you just know that the initial batch of 'verts will be selling for above MSRP - so I figure that 'verts won't really be available until 2011.

In addition, I've been reading a lot of your comments about your disappointment that features like HUD won't be initially available - and that other versions of the car ***Z28***cough - cough** are not planned for release at this time - if we're lucky we may see it for the 2012 MY.

I guess my point is this... if GM's planning on the Camaro being a huge seller, then why won't they offer things that people really want - options, Z28, convertible, etc. - in the first year of production??? No, that would make too much sense - of course, it's better for them to hold back popular features & models & make potential buyers wait a few years to get what they want... or perhaps force them to look to other manufacturers for something that's currently available.

It's not like they haven't done the design work for these various features - we've all seen these things shown in pictures, videos & promotional materials of the prototype cars.

Sorry for my rant, but I just want to know why GM would rather have me wait 2-3 years from start of production to buy a V8 convertible Camaro, rather than make it possible for me to drive it by this time next year? Congratulations GM - you designed a great car - but it looks like you lost another potential Camaro buyer by making me wait... :hello:
It wasn't revealed at the unveiling - it has been stated some time now that the convertible would be available about 6 months later. And that would be the summer of 2009 if I remember correctly, as a 2010 model (which both cpe & cnv are as of release).

Over MSRP? Why? Car is mass produced, and I see it at MSRP OR LESS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't revealed at the unveiling - it has been stated some time now that the convertible would be available about 6 months later. And that would be the summer of 2009 if I remember correctly, as a 2010 model (which both cpe & cnv are as of release).
If you go to Chevy's official Camaro site, under the main picture, it says this...
"Preproduction models shown. Actual production models may vary. Coupe available early 2009. Convertible available summer 2010."

That's right from the horse's mouth - so unless GM says otherwise, the convertible won't be available for another 2 years.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i was going to start another options thread, the first didn't garner any response the last time i checked, but i will piggy back on your thread since it is topical to my concerns also:

first off, it's not unusual for an auto manufacturer to release the specs the way gm did for the camaro without releasing anything else, except for the planned production/sale date. the next step will be to release the options and option packages, but no prices. the pricing of the vehicle and the options will be done just prior to the sale date of the vehicle.

the bigger question is regarding the options. there's basically two paths that gm can take with the option list: eiter make it like the vette and offer a multitude of add-ons (go to edmunds and look at the options list, it's mind boggling) everything from different exhaustsystems, to different rear end ratios, upscale leather, lots of stuff....or, they do a malibu type option list which is a few option groups available for the ls or the lt and that's it. basically, the cars would come from the factory equiped for that model line (ls/lt/ss) and the difference in the cars except for color choices would be minimal.

i think the latter is the path that gm will take, simply to save money on production costs: the fewer options and option groups, the cheaper it is to make the car. i hope i'm wrong, there's nothing like having choices, but i believe less is more will be the approach that gm takes with the camaro.

a bigger concern based on gm's history with all talk and no action, and the depressed market conditions is whether gm will make the spring date for release of the vehicle.

jackg
06 sts6

·
Registered
45 Posts
They change their minds often. I wouldn't bet on any specific release date - everything is *subject to change with GM.
And with many other companies. I would guess that they're playing it safe and giving themselves extra time in case they need it. I'd rather have an expectation for a release and have it come out sooner rather than get pitched delay after delay due to an overly optimistic release schedule. Personally, I'd love to see the 'verts roll out for Summer '09 but it certainly wouldn't be the first time a car manufacturer had to hold the release of a 'vert for a year plus.

Stick with it, I think we'll all be very pleasantly surprised and well rewarded for patience.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
If you go to Chevy's official Camaro site, under the main picture, it says this...
"Preproduction models shown. Actual production models may vary. Coupe available early 2009. Convertible available summer 2010."

That's right from the horse's mouth - so unless GM says otherwise, the convertible won't be available for another 2 years.
The site may say that, but it's been said for a long time that the Convertible would be out approximately 6 months after the coup. Now, keep in mind, that Model Years are NOT Calendar years, and even 6 months after initial release, a convertible could STILL be a 2010 model.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
The site may say that, but it's been said for a long time that the Convertible would be out approximately 6 months after the coup. Now, keep in mind, that Model Years are NOT Calendar years, and even 6 months after initial release, a convertible could STILL be a 2010 model.
But also keep in mind they do not want to release a vert in the fall/winter. So they would delay it until the spring just for that sake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see what you guys are saying & I guess GM could change their minds & bump up or set back the release dates. Believe me, I'll be keeping my eyes/ears peeled on a daily basis right now for any new information that comes out.

BUT - my plan is to be driving a convertible by this time next year. I would LOVE for that car to be a V8 Camaro, but if I'm gonna have to wait a long time for it, then I'll just have to look at other cars instead.

You can call me impatient - but I can't keep hanging around just waiting & waiting. If "summer 2010" is in fact the release date for the convertible, I just don't understand the logic of delaying (or risking the loss of) sales by keeping people waiting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts