Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most are complaining about the lower power of L99, and AFM, but I like it. Why waste gas when you're not accelerating? Also L99 is identical internally so it's most likely the same power as the LS3. Just like the vette LS1 was 350hp and the identical fbody LS1 was 305hp. I'm just going to call it LS3 w/ AFM.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I like AFM as well. I doubt there are really any difference in HP outputs and if there are I do not doubt that it could be fixed with a tune. Besides the quarter mile times were about the same anyway.

The only thing I would ask for is Flex fuel option like on the 6.2L in the Escalade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree...

I am just hoping the tuner's (Lingenfelter, Calloway, Mallet, et. al.) offer packages for the L99 (without disabling the AFM).

They already have packages for the LS3. Any thoughts on the likelihood of tuner packages for the L99?

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
I like AFM as well. I doubt there are really any difference in HP outputs and if there are I do not doubt that it could be fixed with a tune. Besides the quarter mile times were about the same anyway.

The only thing I would ask for is Flex fuel option like on the 6.2L in the Escalade.
I was looking forward to that as well, and considering that GM has the tech, and they were pushing to make their models al flex-fuel, I'm kinds surprised it isn't. Not a deal breaker, but would have been nice. Only muscle car to offer it would have been an advertising home run as well.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I am just hoping the tuner's (Lingenfelter, Calloway, Mallet, et. al.) offer packages for the L99 (without disabling the AFM).

They already have packages for the LS3. Any thoughts on the likelihood of tuner packages for the L99?
I am sure they will be available. AFM can be turned off and on with programs like HPtuners. I'm sure HP tuners will have it availiable as soon if not before it hits the showrooms.

·
Registered
82 Posts
afm is a good idea but it needs to go further...it only works at hiway speeds and it takes a lot of cruising to make a difference in the fuel economy..that's why the epa numbers aren't different between the two v8's...the epa cycle is too short to reflect the fuel savings attributable to afm.

the big problem with afm is it doesn't work around town when you're idling for exampe...that's when a v8 is a real killer for fuel economy, not on the hiway..i would live with a little shudder if i could cut off half thecylinders sitting at a light.

jackg
06 sts6

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
That's where a hybrid is the best, too. Pull up to the light and the engine shuts off. Hit the gas, and the engine starts and runs. Wish they could make that practical for ALL cars. That would save a lot of gas overall.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
afm is a good idea but it needs to go further...it only works at hiway speeds and it takes a lot of cruising to make a difference in the fuel economy..that's why the epa numbers aren't different between the two v8's...the epa cycle is too short to reflect the fuel savings attributable to afm.

the big problem with afm is it doesn't work around town when you're idling for exampe...that's when a v8 is a real killer for fuel economy, not on the hiway..i would live with a little shudder if i could cut off half thecylinders sitting at a light.

jackg
06 sts6
I thought it activated whenever you coasted or idled. I don't know much about it, but I just assumed that.

Maybe instead of tuning it out, we can tune it in even more. I'd like to have it turn on whenever I'm not on the gas. When I'm stopped, braking, in reverse, below 2k coasting. I really don't use my LS1 to it's full potential. Most of the time I'm commuting around town and it hasn't seen WOT in a long time.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
You can tune AFM to be more agressive.
And you can do so at the same time as an otherwise performance-oriented tune.

G8 GTs are picking up 35-40rwhp AND 3-4MPG with this kind of tune. :)

Something about turning the AFM up from 5% to 11%.
Though at this point I haven't the foggiest clue what that means LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The AFM on my Suburban is a joke. I can watch it on the display as is switches from V8 to V4. Unless you are coasting it is always in V8. As soon as the slightest pressure is put on the throttle it switches to V8 even when going downhill. I just don't see a big advantage. It would be nice to have a choice between engines offered the auto transmission. Then 422 hp with an optimized shifting auto.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Something about turning the AFM up from 5% to 11%. Though at this point I haven't the foggiest clue what that means LOL.
I'm pretty sure it's a tweak on the parameter for how much engine load before the AFM deactivates. At 5% it would take very little throttle to deactivate, whereas at 11%.....well you get the idea.;)

The AFM on my Suburban is a joke. I can watch it on the display as is switches from V8 to V4. Unless you are coasting it is always in V8. As soon as the slightest pressure is put on the throttle it switches to V8 even when going downhill. I just don't see a big advantage. It would be nice to have a choice between engines offered the auto transmission. Then 422 hp with an optimized shifting auto.
With a good tune, you can have the best of both worlds.

Can a AFM motor still Be Blown or Turboed? without the afm being disabled?
I don't see why not. The boost levels are so low at part throttle and with engine efficiency increasing in most boosted applications, it might compliment the AFM by allowing it to activate more often.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can tune AFM to be more agressive.
And you can do so at the same time as an otherwise performance-oriented tune.

G8 GTs are picking up 35-40rwhp AND 3-4MPG with this kind of tune. :)

Something about turning the AFM up from 5% to 11%.
Though at this point I haven't the foggiest clue what that means LOL.
the 5% to 11% is throttle position.

why GM didn't tune it more agressively is beyond me. like you said, you can easily pick up 4mpg highway by tuning it.

I also have no idea why it doesn't change to V4 when idling. I don't think you can tune that into it either :(

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Maybe it's about the balance. Engines are not at their best at idle. But yeah, as much time as cars spend at idle, or even traffic speeds, you would think that the AFM would be able to take advantage of that. Again, I think that's where the hybrid idea should be thought about for all cars. To be ble to pull up to a light, and the engine stops, but the car is still on, then when you go, the engine would start again. Of course, it would have to be overrideable, for those occasional stoplight challenges. :D

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Modsled said:
Can a AFM motor still Be Blown or Turboed? without the afm being disabled?

I just asked the guy that has the supercharged G8 in the Magnacharger video.

Mike Haddad said:
"Yes AFM / DOD is retained and gas milage at cruise actually improves 1-2 mpg with the magnacharger system."

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think the General will always be improving the AFM and a few 1000 other tricks to improve overall performance, go GM!!!

SF
Rick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts