Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really want this car to be perfect.

Alright, I'm going to get a little nit-picky here. Let me know if I am totally out of line here, or if these things bug you too.

I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist at times. There are some little things that bug me about the car that would have been easy catches, but I think everyone was so caught up in making a totally awesome car that some of the little things got overlooked.

Maybe GM can sort some of this out in the next model year...?

1. No binder for the owners manual. Every car I have purchased has had one. I didn't buy a KIA! (heck, maybe Kia's even have one ;))

2. No rear seat floor mats. I know there isn't much to the back seat, but they help keep the carpet floor clean. UPDATE: competition does include rear floor mats, so it makes sense the Camaro wouldn't, they are available from GM Parts

3. Home link garage door opener has no light in the dark, making it a little hard to find, even more so since it is not centered in the overhead area.

4. Trunk button also is not lit up. This one doesn't bother me as much since I don't find myself reaching for it in the dark. UPDATE: I guess it isn't lit up on a lot of cars since it's on the remote, I guess I have just been spoiled

5. I can't insert a CD into the slot when the power is off. I can eject it though, you just can't insert one.

6. No small little cubby to throw coins in.

7. When dialing via bluetooth link cell phone, if I use voice commands to dial, why doesn't it let me listen to the ringing. I always miss the first 2 seconds of the call which sometimes makes people hang up on me if they think no one is there. I find myself watching the radio display to see when the call is connected because I don't hear the 'hello', I should be watching the road, that's the purpose of hands free, right? UPDATE: If I initiate dialing from the phone, I hear it ringing through the speakers, it is only the voice command dialing.

8. The express up and down on the windows is funky, doesn't always work, expecially when I am trying to roll up both windows, I haven't quite figured this one out yet...UPDATE: I think I am holding the button too long, there seems to me a small window where I have to let go of the buttons. For me, if I hold it all the way until the window is half way, then let go, it stops in the middle, but if I just hold it firmly for a quarter second or so, then the express feature works.

9. I love the digital spedometer, so much that I never look at the anolog one. I like that it tells me what speed I set the cruise at, but why does that sit on the display for 6 or 7 seconds? 1 second would be plenty. UPDATE / WORKAROUND: You can press the 'set/clear' button on the end of the stick to switch back to the speedo right away

That's all the little ones. I still have to listen to my wife complain every time she sits in it that she is sitting too low, especially when we are going into the sun and the little visor does absolutely no good,(UPDATE: visor size limited for safety ratings) so it would be real nice if the passenger seat had an up / down adjustment. And it really bugs me that 1 out of 10 times I start it up it doesn't recognize my ipod...

But, like I said, I LOVE MY CAR! And I wouldn't trade it for anything.

And for those who know, I was thinking about a V6 at first and even intially ordered it as a V6...YES, I am glad I got the V8. There is nothing wrong with getting the V6, and I would be just as happy with that, but if you can afford the V8, get it.

-Brad
(2,200 miles and going strong :thumbsup:)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree on most of that lol. I only use the digital display, the passenger seat sits way low, visors are pointless. But it's minors...I love my car too.

Just broke 2k...

·
barbarianmotorsports
422 Posts
i love my car also . i do agree with on #6 that would be first on my list. but some of the stuff you can't really complain its not a luxury car it is a muscule car. power and sexy styling. also it is hard to see your fenders or front end. it will take time to get used to.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Personal experience comparison is to my 2000 Impala and my 2002 Buick Rendezvous.

Yes, these are minor items...but also things I would consider "easy fixes" for GM to make...

And with Visibility, my problem is backing up, not really knowing where the back end ends...

·
Registered
338 Posts

Alright, I'm going to get a little nit-picky here. Let me know if I am totally out of line here, or if these things bug you too.

I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist at times. There are some little things that bug me about the car that would have been easy catches, but I think everyone was so caught up in making a totally awesome car that some of the little things got overlooked.

Maybe GM can sort some of this out...

1. No binder for the owners manual. Every car I have purchased has had one. I didn't buy a KIA! (heck, maybe Kia's even have one ;))

2. No rear seat floor mats. I know there isn't much to the back seat, but they help keep the carpet floor clean.

3. Home link garage door opener has no light in the dark, making it a little hard to find, even more so since it is not centered in the overhead area.

4. Trunk button also is not lit up. This one doesn't bother me as much since I don't find myself reaching for it in the dark, but...c'mon.

5. I can't insert a CD into the slot when the power is off. I can eject it though, you just can't insert one.

7. When dialing via bluetooth link cell phone, if I use voice commands to dial, why doesn't it let me listen to the ringing. I always miss the first 2 seconds of the call which sometimes makes people hang up on me if they think no one is there. I find myself watching the radio display to see when the call is connected because I don't hear the 'hello', I should be watching the road, that's the purpose of hands free, right?

8. The express up and down on the windows is funky, doesn't always work, expecially when I am trying to roll up both windows, I haven't quite figured this one out yet...

9. I love the digital spedometer, so much that I never look at the anolog one. I like that it tells me what speed I set the cruise at, but why does that sit on the display for 6 or 7 seconds? 1 second would be plenty.

That's all the little ones. I still have to listen to my wife complain every time she sits in it that she is sitting too low, especially when we are going into the sun and the little visor does absolutely no good, so it would be real nice if the passenger seat had an up / down adjustment. And it really bugs me that 1 out of 10 times I start it up it doesn't recognize my ipod...

And for those who know, I was thinking about a V6 at first and even intially ordered it as a V6...YES, I am glad I got the V8. There is nothing wrong with getting the V6, and I would be just as happy with that, but if you can afford the V8, get it.

-Brad
pick, pick pick, I love my 1SS without the BUT. Which car is perect? Right, none. I bought mine for the ballsy V-8. This is my fourth Camaro and I loved all of them even if they were not perfect. They were all fast and proudly proclaimed that they were not Japanese.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
1. No binder for the owners manual. Get one from a 4th Gen or have one made perhaps?

2. No rear seat floor mats. I know there isn't much to the back seat, but they help keep the carpet floor clean.If I'm not mistaken, the GM accessory mats come with front and back. Could be wrong on that. Plus they have a cool "Camaro" logo on the front ones.

3. Home link garage door opener has no light in the dark, making it a little hard to find, even more so since it is not centered in the overhead area. Just a logistics issue. Pretty soon it'll be as common to find in the dark as scratching your a&&.

4. Trunk button also is not lit up. This one doesn't bother me as much since I don't find myself reaching for it in the dark, but...c'mon. Use the fob then. Or see response to #3 above.

5. I can't insert a CD into the slot when the power is off. I can eject it though, you just can't insert one. That is kinda lame. But someone else is making the radios now, so it's something you got to live with I guess.

6. No small little cubby to throw coins in. If you buy the "smokers" package accessory, don't you get a little ash tray or something with it? You could use that as a "cubby".

7. When dialing via bluetooth link cell phone, if I use voice commands to dial, why doesn't it let me listen to the ringing. I always miss the first 2 seconds of the call which sometimes makes people hang up on me if they think no one is there. I find myself watching the radio display to see when the call is connected because I don't hear the 'hello', I should be watching the road, that's the purpose of hands free, right? That is kind of cheezy, I would agree.

8. The express up and down on the windows is funky, doesn't always work, expecially when I am trying to roll up both windows, I haven't quite figured this one out yet... I thought you had to hold them for a second then let go, or something like that. Or you could just hold the buttons until satisfied.

9. I love the digital spedometer, so much that I never look at the anolog one. I like that it tells me what speed I set the cruise at, but why does that sit on the display for 6 or 7 seconds? 1 second would be plenty. You should be looking at the road. This is where HUD would come in handy.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Personal experience comparison is to my 2000 Impala and my 2002 Buick Rendezvous.

Yes, these are minor items...but also things I would consider "easy fixes" for GM to make...

And with Visibility, my problem is backing up, not really knowing where the back end ends...
Backing up will take some getting used to, but it wasn't any different in my '97 (until I got used to it, I was just guessing where my rear bumper was, and let's not talk about the front end :lol:) I just can't see quite as low.
The windows I quickly figured out. If you hit the window down button, you hit it again to stop it. It's weird, but no big deal.

The only thing I really don't like is the door height.
If you're tall, you have to adjust the seat height down as far as it goes, so to rest my arm on the door, it is at about a 45 degree angle.
The other things I find quirky I'll adapt to easily.

·
Registered
326 Posts
1. My salesman gave me one from another car, but yeah should have one.

2. Yeah, again should have that.

3. My other 2 cars dont have lights on them either, I wish they just made them protrude a little more so I could feel them better.

4. Its not lit on the Monte and don't remember having a GM car where it was ever lit. And I usually use the fob.

5. Have never tried to insert a CD in any car that was off, so no idea. And on this one I use memor sticks most the time.

6. The monte has a coin holder, otherwise they just went in the door compartment (just cleaned it out to the tune of about $50) so again dont miss it.

7. My phone (so far) wont let me use voice dial with blutooth.

8. Windows have been fine for me.

9. Only used cruise 1 time and that was before I put the display on speed/

Of all these things my biggest disappoingment is no passenger seat height adjustment.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts

2. No rear seat floor mats. I know there isn't much to the back seat, but they help keep the carpet floor clean.

4. Trunk button also is not lit up. This one doesn't bother me as much since I don't find myself reaching for it in the dark, but...c'mon.

7. When dialing via bluetooth link cell phone, if I use voice commands to dial, why doesn't it let me listen to the ringing. I always miss the first 2 seconds of the call which sometimes makes people hang up on me if they think no one is there. I find myself watching the radio display to see when the call is connected because I don't hear the 'hello', I should be watching the road, that's the purpose of hands free, right?

8. The express up and down on the windows is funky, doesn't always work, expecially when I am trying to roll up both windows, I haven't quite figured this one out yet...

9. I love the digital spedometer, so much that I never look at the anolog one. I like that it tells me what speed I set the cruise at, but why does that sit on the display for 6 or 7 seconds? 1 second would be plenty.

That's all the little ones. I still have to listen to my wife complain every time she sits in it that she is sitting too low, especially when we are going into the sun and the little visor does absolutely no good, so it would be real nice if the passenger seat had an up / down adjustment. And it really bugs me that 1 out of 10 times I start it up it doesn't recognize my ipod...

-Brad
1. Did other Camaros come with one and your is missing? If not, I'd much rather have a more affordable car than have a cheap vinyl cover.
2. Many vehicles had rear mats optional, again it keeps costs down.
3. My GMC Homelink button is not lit up. I have no problem finding it.
4. When I have driven cars with a trunk button, I had no problem finding it.
5. I cannot insert a CD into my GMC player when the power is off either. Not sure why I would want to.
6. Coins go in the ashtray. Most vehicles I have been in do not have spare cubby holes
7. No bluetooth experience here
8. Express down should work consisitently, see your dealer if there is an issue. I have never heard of express up for safety reasons, does the Camaro offer this?

Little things like these help keep the cost down and this is often carried over in the MSRP.

Some people want Ferrari quality and features on a Cobalt budget. This is not true in real life :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've always been happy with being able to eject the CD with the key out of the ignition.
I've never needed to insert one that way.

Without the four pack of gauges, a CD case and/or coins fit nicely in that area. :cool:

Ok. One other thing bugs me just a bit.
Why does such a large area behind the rear view mirror need to be non-transparent?
I mean I probably know why, On Star, blue tooth, whatever, but that is a pretty large area not to be able to see through on a pretty small front windshield.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts

All GM Cars are that way u can eject with power off but not insert and not sure why u want to,

8. Express down should work consisitently, see your dealer if there is an issue. I have never heard of express up for safety reasons, does the Camaro offer this?

Hold the Buttons Down for a second or two thats how u get the express to work everytime.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
My CTS had express up. I could put my arm in it and it would not hurt it if I hit express up. I liked that option alot and was disipointed that my Escalade don't have it.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Minor things, but I do agree with most of them.

I've found that as time goes on I'm able to hit the trunk button and garage door buttons without even looking, just got used to the feel.

I do agree with the digital display... when you set the cruise or turn the halo lights on or something, the message stays on the screen way too long.

Yes, yes, we are all nit picking on these things.
...and that in itself is evidence on how great of a car it really is! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
pick, pick pick, I love my 1SS without the BUT. Which car is perect? Right, none. I bought mine for the ballsy V-8. This is my fourth Camaro and I loved all of them even if they were not perfect. They were all fast and proudly proclaimed that they were not Japanese.
Gotta go to the letter here. My Camaros were a 73, 2 1968s and a 1969 ,, now the 2010 1 SS . The things you listed are luxury car type bs . You bought a muscle car. Nobody needs to be in your back seat. Change would fly out of the little holder thingy from the massive power and possibly crack your rear windshield. Home link garage door opener? get rid of it. Wasted electricity. You can see the trunk button when the interior light is on. Ummm,, the owners manual is fine.

Im just razzin you, those are petty things but they obviously come to mind for you, i hope you can get past them .You readily admit you are a perfectionist, and if those are the only gripes you can come up with, Chevy did pretty good. Im sure your list would be longer on other cars...

·
Registered
338 Posts

-Brad
1. I have one from SLP that was for my 02SS, Get one from them they are real leather.
2. I went to an auto parts store and got a set of 4 rubber ones that can be hosed off to replace the 2 that came in the front seat. No big deal.
3. So what. You bought the car for the honking V-8 right?
4. So what, use the remote.
5. Why would you insert a CD that you can't play anyways?
6. So what, buy a change purse.
7. Drive the car. If you are driving at like it was meant to be driven, you have no buisness on the phone anyways. The life that you save may be mine.
8. Press to move press to stop. I got used to it.
9. If you set the cruise, that is the speed that you want right? Then what is the problem?
My wife complains about the low seat too. She is little. I would have liked it if her seat was adjustable power also but it is what it is. Backing into the garage is a very delicate operation. However, I love the look of the car and I have noticed that many convertibles are even worse.

·
Registered
237 Posts

-Brad
You, my friend, have said many things that I have thought about as well. Some were right on, others don't bother me as much as they bother you it seems ;)

Let me say a couple things as well.

The no light for the homelink was a bit of a neussance for me at first, but you eventually get used to where it is. Now I can reach up and hit it first try no problem.

The lack of a coin holder got me at first, then I realized I sacrificed a little space for the 4 pack of gauges. I noticed they designed the area where you grab the door from the inside to close it to have a little coin holder right there. It has a rubber bottom. I wouldn't actually put coins there though.

The bluetooth voice dialing problem may be with your phone. When I had my Blackberry Storm I was able to hear the ringing right away, and never had anyone pick up without me hearing. Now I have an iPhone and I can't do voice dialing :( P.S. The point of hands free is to not use your hands, not to keep your eyes on the road ;) I know what you mean though :thumbsup:

By express up and down I assume you mean the automatic up and down feature? Make sure to click the button all the way up or down, so you actually feel the button physically click. Sometimes I don't push it down all the way so I don't actually activate it. The windows do go up and down very quickly, which I absolutely love :thumbsup: One more thing with the windows, I don't know if you've experienced this or not. When the car is first started with the windows up you can't roll them down right away, the buttons usually don't respond for a couple seconds which makes me have to push it a couple times.

I am totally with you on the digital speedo, I use it 100% of the time, unless I'm scrolling through other things (not while driving of course, except maybe trip meter, tire pressure, or something like that). I feel the same way about the cruise control. I love that it shows the speed at which you have it set, and that you can adjust it by 1 mph at a time which is also displayed on there as well. I have always wondered why it displays the set speed for so long, it is kind of anoying.

None of these issues are anything major, or of any real concern to me. I just notice them. There is nothing actually wrong with the car, I think all of these little "quirks" just give it character :D

BTW, every once in a while the car won't recognize my iPod either. If it ever doesn't recognize it, and simply won't, like you can't get it to play at all, take the iPod out and reset it. I've done this twice, and it worked both times. This should also work for the people having issues with the iPod showing a different song than the one actually playing. If anyone doesn't know how to reset the iPod let me know and I'll post the instructions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
1. I have one from SLP that was for my 02SS, Get one from them they are real leather.
2. I went to an auto parts store and got a set of 4 rubber ones that can be hosed off to replace the 2 that came in the front seat. No big deal.
3. So what. You bought the car for the honking V-8 right?
4. So what, use the remote.
5. Why would you insert a CD that you can't play anyways?
6. So what, buy a change purse.
7. Drive the car. If you are driving at like it was meant to be driven, you have no buisness on the phone anyways. The life that you save may be mine.
8. Press to move press to stop. I got used to it.
9. If you set the cruise, that is the speed that you want right? Then what is the problem?
My wife complains about the low seat too. She is little. I would have liked it if her seat was adjustable power also but it is what it is. Backing into the garage is a very delicate operation. However, I love the look of the car and I have noticed that many convertibles are even worse.
I never understood why people have to come on and post negativity. He was simply pointing out things he's noticed, not complaining. This is good info for anyone who hasn't received theirs yet so they can prepare to maybe go out and buy some rear floor mats, or something to hold their change, or whatever. Be constructive, not destructive.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts