Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine this is a very stupid idea, I never hear about it so either it's revolutionary or retarded...and I'm thinking the second one.

As you all know, I live in PA. Winter not only sucks here, Winter in the mountains is what blows. There is no way for me to get home without going up a hill. Last year I got stuck only once and almost surrendered to an icey hill...on summer tires! :cool:

I was talking to my parents and I have free use of my money and my graduation money :rolleyes:. Instead of buying something I don't want like a FWD car (Even if it was a Pontiac <3) or SUV/Truck, I am going and buying another RWD car.

Here is where the mentally challenged idea comes into play: Aftermarket suspension parts. They are made to improve handling on dry surfaces, would it effect the car in the snow at all? Extra grip from the parts + plus truck tires on heavy snow rims with weights in the truck (or hooker), am I looking at a RWD Winter beast?

I call it a Snowmaro, but maybe my idea is a dud. I got away with summer tires and 3.42s but I was thinking of something fun to commute with so my Z28 doesn't get a winter treatment. It would be a 5 speed this time so I can always be in the right gear when I have to get away from snow lions and stuff of that nature.

What do you think? Am I a third gen retard or RWD genius?!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
your thinking to much...find a old caprice or crown vic or a ltd put some good snow tires on weight the trunk, and your set its not all that complicated

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
IMO, the ONLY thing that will help is a good set of snow tires and more weight in the trunk.

I lived with a rear wheel drive car ('79 Regal) for a few NY winters (lots of hills around here)...I got bye...but now that I've owned a 4x4 for the last 9 years, I don't think I'd ever go back to a RWD for the winter.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I drove fine in the snow :cool:

Although I needed help twice to get going

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
your thinking to much...
I agree. After driving rwd performance cars in PA snows and now having the TrailBlazer, I will always have a 4wd. It's not that the cars couldn't make it, having the ground clearance and 4wd just makes life so easy.

Get yourself a truck or SUV. This way, you'll have something to put those car parts in and even tow your car with.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
I do love having an SUV with 4wd mainly because i love to go offroading so i say get an SUV

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
as far as aftermarket parts try puttin a LSD in the rear.but as far as cars go,yeah go with a Grand Marquis/Crown Vic/Towncar.most of them aree cheap,have a v-8(same as a mustang,so you know there are aftermarket parts for it)
but RWD is fun in the snow but also a headache.FWD is the latter in the snow:angry::lol:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is the only problem, I don't really care for SUVs, even if they help out a lot.

I compiled a list of SUVs I like:

1973-1991 Chevy Suburbans
1973-1991 Chevy Blazers (Full Size Ones)

Oh...that's alot, now let's find some nice condition...lol

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
RWD is so much fun in the snow tho.. :D

yeah...my Trailblazer is RWD....until I turn that switch to 4x4. Best of both worlds.;)

I say go for a late '90's blazer...

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here is my second idea.

I am more into trucks than SUVs. I like 2 kind of trucks. 1st Gen S10s and 73-99 CKs, no late model blazers--this kid at school has one and I HATE IT...no offense.

However I am leaning toward the RWD versions because I want them to be muscle trucks so that sorta defeats the point of getting a freaking truck for winter....aaaahhh I hate snow!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
go with a chevy silverado/dodge ram/ford f-150 then

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
You are trying to find a winter beater. It doesn't need to be the prettiest thing.

I love K5's, but finding one that isn't rusted up is tough. When you do find a nice one, people want decent money for them.

The older K-series trucks are plentiful and reliable. Try to find a Vortec one if possible (96-99).

Anyway, how much are you looking to spend? This will help narrow down the choices.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a grand or 2, i'm thinking. I've seen nice ass suburbans for only a few grand around here.

Your right it doesn't need to be pretty, but it needs to have potential to be something fun.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Talk to your car. I know it listens to you. Maybe it can talk to the snow and bond with it in some sort of nature's way. Tires and snow bonding together, it's a beautiful thing. I would move, snow sucks.:eek:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't move at 18, and your sarcastic remark referring to my animism thread does nothing except make me think of you as an ahole.

kthx

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just figured you believed what you said and when you talk about crazy stuff be prepared to catch a little ribbing. I'm a good hearted guy that can dish it out and take it. Hope you had a nice Easter. :poke:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok ok, I'm pissed that I can't sleep and I have school and work tomorrow. I hate not being able to sleep!

BTW: I actually meant what I said in my thread, call me weird if you want, even I call myself weird :D.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Adam flog the dolphin and fall asleep.

Flog the Dolphin

to violently wack off
Jims mom caught him flogging the dolphin

1 - 20 of 43 Posts