Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to find out about switching to MSD ignition coils. It seems that there is no clear listing since there were two kinds used. The normal Delco units and a Melco-Mitsubishi unit. If you look up the part for a 2010 6.2L L99 Camaro, two part numbers show up with no distinction for application differences. One, the GM, starts with 125 and the other starts with 126. If anyone knows the correct MSD number or the correct stock number OR has any clue as to the right coils, please lmk. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Not that I am trying to "tell you anything" but the stock coils are more than adequate. I am at 580whp which equates to approx 696 crank and run at 9- 9.5psi. There are folks with higher HP than me on stock coils with no problems. Forced induction puts more demand on the ignition than NA does as well....

You are really only getting "window dressing" at this point. And that is fine if you want something nicer looking, just want you to know that beyond that you aren't going to see any extra HP etc at all..... I go back and forth on getting something cool looking but for 500-600.00 for a set I keep finding more important things to spend the $ on....

·
Registered
384 Posts
^^^ what he said.

I have tried a few brands of different coils packs on cars and it always came down to the OEM ones where the best. The "hotter" coils seemed to start faded out on spark energy after a few months and I would have to swap out the coil for a new one. You probably wouldn't notice it on an n/a car but under 15+ pounds of boost the demons start to show up a lot faster.

The only time I would recommend an MSD coil is on vehicles with one coil and a distributor. DIS/coil near plug/coil on plug....just use the OEM.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like "window dressing". I also have an A6 and ProCharger. I know the coil specs are very close too. But can anyone just tell me the MSD number for my car? Someone must have changed them by now. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, this is a tough audience. I don't want OEM. I like those red coils. Thanks for the opinions, but some info please.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Man, this is a tough audience. I don't want OEM. I like those red coils. Thanks for the opinions, but some info please.
Not trying to be tough on you at all..... :confused:

MSD doesn't list them directly for our cars but there is a part number for the LS2/LS7 in a lot of GM cars and trucks: MSD P/N 82878 - LS2/LS7 Ignition Coils set of 8. But you can't be sure the wiring connector is correct....

This is why you are having a hard time finding a part number, it doesn't exist as an exact match as is evident by their engine/engine code descriptions here:
http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=15358

Why not paint yours? That is what I will end up doing I'm sure....

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
If you want red coils, a can of plastic paint would do you just fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just paint them not worth the money just did mine and they look good. I was going to buy the Msd one but took the advice of others on here. I'm glad I did saved 500.00 and they look just as good.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
kool, you are lucky to only have to work with white I think my CRT might be more challenging :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts